Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by lozloz, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, i very much want to join the marines, but suffer from very mild asthma.
    dont need medication other than i carry an inhaler for emergencies and rarely after sport. im expecting this to be a problem and my hopes arent high, but is there any hope?

many thanks.
  2. Might well be an entirely different kettle of fish now, and it was for a different service, but I have exactly the same type of asthma as you and was told a resounding "no" by an RAF Careers Office bod several years ago. He said I had to be four years clear of any prescribed medication.
  3. Dunno about RM but USMC if you have any sort of recent asthma of any sort, there's no way.
  4. Hello LozLoz, sorry mate may have some bad news .Open the link below scroll down to health, there is a notation regarding asthma at note 'c'. Don't despair though just keep accurate notes of attacks etc, so you'll know when to apply. Also one of the more learned RRers...AndyM or Mad Doc may have some professional advice, just give them a false address so they can't send you the bill :wink: .
  5. Yeah I was told that too whilst I was at school (about 10 years ago though). So I simply stopped using inhalers (didn't use them much anyhow) and having finished school and gone to Uni joined the RN in the clear. Perhaps I was lucky and my childhood asthma cleared. Hope you can do something similar.

6. My son had a problem with asthma. Joined the army at 17, we could hear him wheezing from 50 yards away on his passing out parade.
    Served over 22 years, now drawing a WO1's pension.
    It can be done!

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fair play to the fella, but I suppose he never did Covert Ops then..?! :lol: :wink:
  8. No Sarge, the only "cover" he ever encountered was over the back of a four tonner. He joined as a V/M, went through for tiffy, retired as ASM.
    Now, replete with pony tail and scruffy set, drives a white van.