Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asthma chances need advice

Hi all, I'm new to this forum

I have a query about asthma and am seeking some medical advice as I have my medical next week so any feedback is appreciated. I also appreciate there are tonnes of questions asked regarding the issue.

I have a history of asthma and was diagnosed at the age of 10 or 11 (in school yr 6) as I had a chest infection. I was prescribed a blue inhaler and some antibiotics to get rid of it. I've been back to the doctors a few times for other minor chest infections since and have then been prescribed a brown inhaler and 1 course of tablet steroids in the past. I've never had an asthma attack or anything near. Ive been clear for over 4 years.

Ive read somewhere that a history of steroids past the age of 5 can be a bar to entry. Is this true? What are my chaces?

Many thanks :)

Update: Had medical all went well and was given a 28 day peak flow diary to complete. The medical examiner didn't think there was much wrong with me *touch wood* as I can comfortably hit 600 on the peak flow. Been TMU for 2 months so more waiting around :( . However as long as 4 years clear of symptoms and treatment I can still join :) Nothing I didn't know already but fingers crossed for the coming months.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Fingers crossed, all goes as you would wish. Suffice to say, however, steroidal treatment for asthma can be a show-stopper, depending on individual circumstances.

The trouble with chest infections severe enough to require a trip to the GP, cause asthma symptoms (wheeze) and require steroidal asthma treatment, is they cannot easily be viewed as unrelated if the individual has a history of asthma.

Best of luck.

steveo00

Midshipman
With the peak flow dairy its a +/- of 20% when i done mine last time around thats what i got told at my second medical. Good luck pal. Ive got my medical saturday as ive now reapplied.

Steve

Cheers for response @Ninja_Stoker. I don't suppose you know where they draw the line with regards to entry if the applicant has had previous steroidal treatment? Ultimately is it down to the medical examiner to decide?

Thanks

steveo00

Midshipman
With you dairy if you lowest score is say 550 then your highest score cant be more then +20% so 660. If your lowest is 600 then you highest cant be more then 720 and so on.

steveo00

Midshipman
I do ashma rehab as a job now and i the rules are +/-20% means mild ashma. Doesnt matter if you can blow 900s if there is a 1 low one or one really high one it means ashma symptoms. Which i find hard to beleive and ive worked in it for years

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D asthma for AET Joining the Royal Navy 8
CSM00 Asthma + Peak flow Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
SeaKing2001 Capita and Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
E Aircrew Asthma - 4 years clear? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Asthma Health & Fitness 7
A Asthma-Overseas Doctor Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS News story: Better, faster, more personalised asthma treatment MoD News 0
W Asthma and aircraft technicians Health & Fitness 1
B Aircrew Roles and Asthma Joining the Royal Navy 3
Mr_X [Asthma] Can anyone help me find the exact policy regarding Oral Steriods? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
N Medical - asthma Health & Fitness 5
A Asthma Joining the Royal Navy 4
Frusciante Pilots and Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Andrew Thompson Applicants with Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
P Asthma Questions Health & Fitness 1
S Not your average asthma question Health & Fitness 22
J Joining the Royal Marines with asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F Asthma and the Fleet Air Arm (Help!) Health & Fitness 3
4 Asthma thread again Health & Fitness 3
E Asthma Info Health & Fitness 6
A Asthma - Any chance? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C Am i allowed in RN with asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
G Medical Discharge due to Asthma Health & Fitness 18
jefferson1666 stupid asthma problems.. sorry angry doc o worry alot about these things.. Health & Fitness 18
R Asthma query - not in FAQs Health & Fitness 5
J asthma and pilots The Fleet Air Arm 9
J asthma and pilots The Fleet Air Arm 1
T asthma Health & Fitness 22
Y Another Asthma Question - Sorry I know its repetative Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
XS650BOBBER Asthma Health & Fitness 3
U !Asthma! Yes, I know...You've seen this 100 times before. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
hamisatypeofcheese ASTHMA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Asthma query Health & Fitness 8
S Quick question on asthma? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
S Asthma The Fleet Air Arm 6
N Joining Military with Asthma? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
E can I join the fleet air arm with asthma? The Fleet Air Arm 5
S asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S On asthma The Fleet Air Arm 18
cmontheroyals asthma The Corps 3
Chicogiz Asthma Health & Fitness 12
W oh no my asthma!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M Flying and asthma The Fleet Air Arm 18
L Asthma Health & Fitness 7
brazenhussy ASTHMA MAN WINS CASE OVER BAN BY IW FIRE SERVICE The Quarterdeck 8
J Joining the navy after having had Asthma Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS UK Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0