[Asthma] Can anyone help me find the exact policy regarding Oral Steriods?

I've been searching around and found that Oral Steriods is a thing that has caught out a couple of people at the Medical.

Long story short, I was prescribed Oral Steriods before the age of 5 for childhood asthma. I last had inhalers back in Dec 2012 for a pretty nasty chest infection (so im in the clear as far as the "free of treatment for 4 years" thing goes - I had the blue and brown inhalers) and im trying to work out if the oral steriods thing has completly wrecked my chances of joining.

I remember seeing an updated version of the eligibility guidelines that included something about this last year, but cant find it anymore (even the link I have doesn't work).

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I've been searching around and found that Oral Steriods is a thing that has caught out a couple of people at the Medical.

Long story short, I was prescribed Oral Steriods before the age of 5 for childhood asthma. I last had inhalers back in Dec 2012 for a pretty nasty chest infection (so im in the clear as far as the "free of treatment for 4 years" thing goes - I had the blue and brown inhalers) and im trying to work out if the oral steriods thing has completly wrecked my chances of joining.

I remember seeing an updated version of the eligibility guidelines that included something about this last year, but cant find it anymore (even the link I have doesn't work).
On the face of it, you sound OK but obviously definitive advice can only be given by a qualified service health professional (ie a Service Medical Officer). Be aware, the contracted company sometimes make errors at the triage stage of the medical, so the advice is to make sure you've got the evidence to hand. A one-off upper respiratory tract infection treated with a prescribed inhaler is usually OK - but only if the medical notes specifically reflect the fact that it was prescribed for that and not asthma.

JSP 950, Section 4, Annex D gives chapter and verse on respiratory issues for those wishing to join: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...n-recruiting-jsp-950-replaces-jsp-346.197864/

On the face of it, you sound OK but obviously definitive advice can only be given by a qualified service health professional (ie a Service Medical Officer). Be aware, the contracted company sometimes make errors at the triage stage of the medical, so the advice is to make sure you've got the evidence to hand. A one-off upper respiratory tract infection treated with a prescribed inhaler is usually OK - but only if the medical notes specifically reflect the fact that it was prescribed for that and not asthma.

JSP 950, Section 4, Annex D gives chapter and verse on respiratory issues for those wishing to join: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...n-recruiting-jsp-950-replaces-jsp-346.197864/

So basically the best thing I can do is get a letter from my Doctor saying I don't have Asthma/Wheeze and hope for the best?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As stated, your medical records will need to reflect the reason behind the treatment at the time. In any case your GP will also be sent a questionnaire regarding the history and treatment of respiratory conditions. It's a bit more involved than a written statement.

As stated, your medical records will need to reflect the reason behind the treatment at the time. In any case your GP will also be sent a questionnaire regarding the history and treatment of respiratory conditions. It's a bit more involved than a written statement.
Is this one of those things thats there's not much flexibility with? e.g. If I failed the medical becuease of this an appeal would be pretty much pointless?

IMO, it seems kind of silly to fail someone for this if they can pass the physical tests, dont need any medication and haven't had any problems for years - you'd think this would be covered under the "no asthma treatment for 4 years" rule.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Is this one of those things thats there's not much flexibility with? e.g. If I failed the medical becuease of this an appeal would be pretty much pointless?

IMO, it seems kind of silly to fail someone for this if they can pass the physical tests, dont need any medication and haven't had any problems for years - you'd think this would be covered under the "no asthma treatment for 4 years" rule.
The mandated standards cannot be appealed unfortunately, not on grounds of our individual opinion of the logic, silliness or perceived fairness of the rules but the diagnosis can be appealed with qualified medical evidence and the interpretation of the standards can be contested, but only by a suitably qualified occupational health professional.

you have to go through the process and if you feel at any stage you are failed without good reason you can appeal with help from your AFCO as @Ninja_Stoker said errors are made at the early stages or the contracted company are risk adverse and assume you will go to an higher medical board.
so don't give in to quickly

The mandated standards cannot be appealed unfortunately, not on grounds of our individual opinion of the logic, silliness or perceived fairness of the rules but the diagnosis can be appealed with qualified medical evidence and the interpretation of the standards can be contested, but only by a suitably qualified occupational health professional.
you have to go through the process and if you feel at any stage you are failed without good reason you can appeal with help from your AFCO as @Ninja_Stoker said errors are made at the early stages or the contracted company are risk adverse and assume you will go to an higher medical board.
so don't give in to quickly
I think im at the point where I just want a Yes or No, so im gonna apply and hope for the best. I'd rather apply and get a firm No than spend the rest of my life wondering 'what if?'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Health & Fitness 0
B Joining the Royal Navy 3
N Health & Fitness 5