Asthma - Any chance?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Alur, Apr 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As per the requirements before joining it states you must be 4 years clear of an incident or prescription being given out.

Now I've had asthma since I was born but it's always been extremely mild, I've only suffered from one attack when I was a very young kid <5. My asthma isn't exercise induced either (I can do the 2.4km run within 11 minutes no problem).

But I've always carried on with my prescriptions 'just in case' until recently. The last prescription I had for it was October 2011. But even so this still presents a problem when looking at the entry requirements.

Just wondering if there's any hope of getting around this whatsoever? I'm planning for a trip to the careers office next week but I'd like to know some opinions before I go in.

If it matters I'm 20 and aiming for the Officer's route.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Which bit of "four years clear of treatment" is causing confusion?

3. Well technically I am as I haven't taken treatment for it in over 10 years. As I said I carried on with the prescription as a precaution only.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  4. OMM

OMM War Hero

Being prescribed treatment in the form of an inhaler still counts unfortunately, even if you don't use it.

5. Well that saves me a trip to the careers office and crushes the slim chance I thought I may have at being able to get in. But thanks for clearing it up. Back to the drawing board for the next couple of years until I can apply then!

6. Ninja_Stoker

This disappointment is appreciated, but the medical standard is there for good reason unfortunately. Whilst of little consolation, every single person, upon being told they must be 4 years clear of treatment, states they only got repeat prescriptions as a precaution. Often people claim it was their parents fault for being overly cautious - this may well be the case for an applicant aged 16, but tends to be less credible for those beyond the age of consent and even less likely with a person not entitled to 'free' (the term is used guardedly) prescriptions.

7. I've seen applicants with no history of asthma being told to come back in four years because they had an inhaler prescribed for a chest infection.

I understand that the rules must exist and they are there for good reason however the rigidity of them sometimes defies belief.

In your case it's black and white, history of asthma, inhaler prescribed - come back in four. Others aren't so black and white and we lose so many people because the way the RN do their medicals is farcical.

Has anyone else noticed the number of TMU cases rising over the last couple of years? Not wishing to cast aspersions but could this be anything to do with the docs getting paid for every medical we send them?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Agreed, the number of TMUs is farcical but the contracted GP's were always paid per medical & re-medical.

What's changed is the Mob & RAF decided medicals would be cheaper if the Docs were under a single national contract (the average Doc got paid about £100 per medical at that time). Step forward a third-party contracted medical administration company and an extremely poorly constructed contract and the Doctors now get paid about a third of what they used-to, the contracted company pick-up the shortfall, the Mob pays more & no-one chases-up the TMUs because it wasn't in the original contract.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alur

I think you should make an appointment to see your GP to discuss the fact that you want to join and that having a prescription for an inhaler will make you ineligible. Don't make any decisions about your use of an inhaler based on your desire to join, because, at the end of the day, what really matters is your health.

If, on the advice of your Doctor, you are able to discontinue it, don't look on the longer wait to apply as a negative, look on it as a positive. You now have more time to be involved in activities which identify your leadership potential, which will stand you in good stead when you apply. Also, read Navy News and visit any ships which might come in your direction. Make the most of the extra time, to make yourself an even better candidate.

Start by seeing your GP.

10. Yeah I've definitely woken up with a more positive attitude, while I'm in okay shape the extra 2 and a half years really gives me time to peak it out. My plans are now to find a full-time job (hopefully office admin work), save up enough in the first year and a half then take the last year to go travelling. I've always fancied a year in Australia with a small group.

What do you advise activity wise? I fear I'm too old for many of the school/college events like Ten Tors and Duke of Edinburgh, is this true? And will be sure to book a doctors appointment, I'm pretty confident they'll be happy with it.

11. What is the DofE? - the DofE

12. You don't have to do the actual DofE but look into becoming a leader helping put other people through it. Also, don't go downunder in a small group, go on your own! You'll meet pals out there doing the same thing.

13. That sounds like a fair plan, not sure what you mean exactly when you say second YEAR. But just beware that being out of the country for more than 12 months may well make you illegible:

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/eccb6c2c44bb44a98f055592c56f7e08-0x0.pdf

14. Thanks for the information, seems like a trip abroad should be fine then if keep it within 12 months, which isn't a problem but is good to know.