Associateship - Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by AntC, Sep 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone knoe whether it has been arranged in the past for people to attend drill nights etc as sort of associates whilst waiting for AIB dates?

2. Go to your nearest Unit and let them know you have applied for AIB. They will then put you into a holding class. Potential officers' are expected to take the initiative, also the AFCO should have advised you pop along to your nearest unit.
  3. Different Units do things differently.
    If you are lucky, your local unit will allow you to attend the unit in the New Entry Holding Class (This is a class of personnell who have applied to join, and have not yet had the application approved - it can take circa 6 months from application to actual joining). Depending on the unit, they may well give you a uniform, and give you orange falshes to wear on your shoulders that indicates you are in the New Entry Holding Class.

It is a very useful way of keeping potential recruits' interest, as well as giving them an invaluable insight into the RNR.

My advice is to have a twin track approach, speak to your AFCO, but pester your unit also.

Good Luck

4. Thanks for both replies. I'll bob down next week.

I have uniform already incidentally as I'm still URNU at the moment (until I get in).
  5. good luck, let me know how you get on
  6. All sorted, I am able to go in plain clothes and start training in the holding class from this Tuesday onwards. Even managed to confirm my AIB date now - productive day!

Thanks again both of you for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes ;)