Assistance to Author

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Levers_Aligned, Jan 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Before he crossed the bar in 1999, my dad helped contribute to a cracking book called 'Roll On The Rodney' by David Philipson. Its out there in bookland (Amazon it) and tells the detailed tale in dits of the Royal Navy, post war through the 1950s and 1960s. My dad's bits are quite poignant, and he died just before it was published, and I didn't quite make the connection when I retrieved the letter from David telling him it was out on the shelves and thanking him for his contributions when I was clearing his flat, pre-funeral. I discovered the book, by chance, in Waterstones in Pompey some months later and his epitaph in the last chapter mentions me and my service and his pride in me.

Anyway, I've always been determined to write a sequel to this, and now I'm offski outski sideski I think the story needs to be told. With a working title of 'The Grey Funnel Line', my pitch covers the timescale covered by my naval career, which basically spans the Nott Review right through to the SDSR. There's a heck of a lot of material to cover there and my tack is to illustrate, very much like David's book, the changing backcloth we have had to endure over 32 years from Cold War to Hot War. I have written the chapter headings, the book is sectioned into Nine Chapters, each of which have a 'theme' which milestones the great forks in the RNs path.

If you are remotely interested in contributing, please message me. All I need are significant dits - your thoughts, funny, serious, poignant but relevant. 200-600 words.

If you message me with your email address, I will return you with the synopsis and headings. I can't promise you any financial recompense - I doubt I'll make much anyway over any costs, but will acknowledge any contributors in the epiloge (anonymously if you need it)

Anyway, over to you

2. Levers_Aligned

Bump to the top
  3. I have read this book ( well parts of it as it wasn't mine) and its a friggin great read. I have just bought a copy from Amazon, it was £4.09 plus £2.80 postage, so hardly a bank breaker.
    BZ to your senior rate for his participation and I really do recommend that you all go out and grab a copy.
  4. Levers

I'll proof read it for you gratis before it goes to print, if that helps.
  5. Come on Sol,... beggins undignified
    Can I have it next pretty please.
  6. Levers_Aligned

If you want to contribute, fellers, please feel free. Pretty sure you'll have a lot to tell.

MSG me if you want in on it.

7. Bumped this thread as the book is a must to anyone who served in the '60's, '70's, or 80's.
    Belay that,...if you served and have a sense of humour you'll enjoy it anyway. You don't even need to "jack speak" as there is even an index of vocabulary for non blue's.:-D:slow:
  8. Levers_Aligned

Thanks so far to all who have approached me for the synopsis and chapter headers. Anyone else - however small or insignificant you regard your service or contribution, please message me.

Thanks again

9. Levers_Aligned

Bumped again. Any willing contributors are welcome to pitch in with this project.

Message me and we will discuss.

10. Whens the deadline Levers?
  11. Levers_Aligned

May sometime if poss fellers. Anyone else interested as well?
  12. Just read the book after finding it on Ebay :) Awesome read and I do hope you manage to get your own follow up sorted Levers :)

Most insightful
  13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Want a bootnecks take of life on the grey funnel line, taking in the first trip to the Crimean since the crimean war?
  14. What a relief to see cyou Blobs. Glad you're safe.
  15. wet_blobby

All good mate. Testing times for the south island.

Thanks, but no reason to worry, the beer warehouse survived.
  16. Dipping in and out of Roll on the Rodney at the moment, cracking read. Slightly off thread, had a beer and big eats in the Admiral Rodney last night.
  17. Levers_Aligned

Yes please! Very much so. I'm certainly one who considers the Royals to be part of us and not part of the Army, so please MSG me to discuss.

18. wet_blobby

PM sent...... if I've done it correctly
  19. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Levers, I'd like to have a go if the periods coincide with mine. I was in the mob 1951-1974. Whether I have anything of interest I don't know but it sounds an interesting subject. I'd appreciate the synopsis from you. Cheers mate. Granny.
  20. Levers,

All the best with your book but just a couple of points that may or may not be of help. The Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) being manned by merchant seaman affectionately named their ships 'Grey Funnel Lines' in its early history men would work on the White Star Line on one trip and then move to different Lines (companies) on the next trip. 'Paying on' and 'off' as they went so the term is attributed more to the Merchant Navy than the RN. I have a book somewhere that details the history, I also believe there may be an out of print book already in existence called Grey funnel Lines. The RFA Association my be able to help further.