asperger's - accepted.

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by pilot1, Jun 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A while ago I wrote on this forum asking if people with a diagnosis of asperger's syndrome were allowed in the rn. The doc on here, if I recall said that autism is a definite no but AS is treated on a case by case basis. Just to let everyone know, since I was asked by many to report back, that I have been deemed 'fit for service' :)

2. I remember your thread, Pilot1.

You must be very pleased.

3. Congratulations buddy. The waiting to find out must have been awful. Best of luck with the rest of your application

4. I'm sure that you'll have a successful career - don't let the less cerebral sailors bully you, they have a tendency to react badly to people they don't understand

5. I see your lips moving but all I hear is MLAAAAAAARR!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, I remember the thread:http://www.navy-net.co.uk/health-fitness/58119-royal-navy-pilot.html

As a matter of interest, assuming you sat & passed the Recruiting Test last October for Pilot, did it take this length of time to be "passed fit"? Assuming it did, and various referrals were required, was the original diagnosis correct or was it accepted as correct but the degree to which the condition affects you considered insignificant?

Again labels, once attached, are difficult to detach but good news for you if there is a favourable outcome. Unlucky in some respects that the SDSR makes becoming a pilot in the RN a distant prospect, but good to hear a favourable medical outcome.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that the medical professionals don't set out to reject people, it's far less traumatic to accept, if it is reasonably practical.

Best of luck in your aspirations, beware the temptation to gloat before you fly. :-D

7. congrats on the news, good luck with al the rest.