asbestosis

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Tingara, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just pondering . Sir David Martin died from this,
    Ive had the white stuff drop on my face - ddg top bunk 71.
    Only happened when mt51 shot.
    So ill roll another old holborn and wait for replies.

2. A killick stoker died of it on one of my ships. Took 6 weeks to cremate him.

:laughing8:

3. I got a fair covering of this stuff down the tiller flat on Hardy/Diamond HTS in 78, after a shore supply failure one day left me without lighting. Also (like most steam stokers) got the usual 'white shower' after going into full astern whilst down the 'hole'.

Since then I've come across A more than a few times in my current job.
    White, grey, blue A with blue being the worst (and least common)

The fact is 'nobody' has the full knowledge as it is a relatively new disease, though there are suggestions that just as a whiff might cause mesothelioma in one person, another might spend his working life with it and not be affected.

Armley at Leeds a few years ago provided the setting for a 'battle' between 600 council residents and the LA over their contaminated houses close to a asbestos mill, where residents had spent the last 50 years working. In those days workers went home covered in the stuff, got bathed at home while wifey washed hubbies clothes with a dolly & mangle.
    Kids grew up with the stuff yet around 10% (if memory correct) have been affected; enough to ask questions (and accept responsibility with compo) but hardly an epidemic.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much.

4. I also got a'white shower' or two during the 70's and early 80's.

I don't expect the MOD will admit to anything...If they did, the compo would only amount to a couple of packets of blue liners and a tin of naafi sardines :pale:

5. Hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as Blue Liners anymore.

SF

6. Can't say I've seen a tin of naafi sardines for a while (or ever) either.

7. Sheesh... Factory floor must be knee high now o_O

8. Well in training we were never told about asbestos dangers at all.
    Can't get the bolts out of a steam flange joint -- whack the asbestos off with a hammer. Showers of dust & bits everywhere.
    My first knowledge was an AMP on Ark Royal IV, working in Y engine room in ovies & steamers ,when a dockyard worker clad in hooded disposable overalls ,breathing mask etc descended.
    Me." What do you want?"
    Him "I've come down to see if its safe for my gang to work down here"
    Me ,"WTF ,WTF etc".
    He then explained about the atmospheric sampling unit he was about to place for 24 hours & all the necesary(to him anyway) rigmarole.
    Years later while working for the NHS I was tested & given the OK.

9. More than a few Aircraft Handlers have died or are suffering from various Asbestos related diseases. We believe mainly due to the use of the old Fearnaught fire helmets with the asbestos cape. Fire blankets were also made of the same material. I remember well, when given a new helmet, the first few times that you wore it, there was a constant fall of asbestos fibre particulate. I have have been in contact with the Australian handlers Association, and they used the same equiptment, and have the same sorts of problem.
    The thing is, these helmets virtually dissappeared over night from use in the Navy! If anybody knows of the whereabouts of one please let me know.
    BTW I have tried all of the usual sources of info (that I know of) and they know nothing..................
    RoofRat

10. My late uncle said that in the 30s asbestos wS brought into Pompey Dockyatd by thr train load, Tjey were assured that no harm would some to them. 50 years later asbestosis was diagnosed by the NHS, He applied for compensation, the first thing he had to pay was the NHS consultant for signing his medical form, money uo front to solicitor.all of which came to hundreds of pounds. The MOD sent two "suits" who came to the conclusion that asbestos was not involed! The last ten years of his life was pretty awful. Similarly with my father-in-law who served an apprenticeship in HMD, he lived in agony, one would be prosecuted forr keeoing an animal in such condition. Both are beyond help now and away from the MOD who I feel consider themselves smart when they cheat victim.

11. My late uncle said that in the 30s asbestos was brought into Pompey Dockyard by thr train load, They were assured that no harm would some to them. 50 years later asbestosis was diagnosed by the NHS, He applied for compensation, the first thing he had to pay was the NHS consultant for signing his medical form, money uo front to solicitor.all of which came to hundreds of pounds. The MOD sent two "suits" who came to the conclusion that asbestos was not involed! The last ten years of his life was pretty awful.
    Similarly with my father-in-law who served an apprenticeship in HMD, he spent his last years living in agony, one would be prosecuted forr keeping an animal in such condition.s Both are beyond help now and away from the MOD who I feel consider themselves smart when they cheat a victim.

12. Many men died prematurely at the Steam engine Workshops in Crewe from asbestosis. Boiler lagging etc. The union fought their case, and proved it was work related. Compensation was awarded. On nearly all the death certificates .It was recorded death by Industrial Dease. Even wifes died, from just washing their overalls!!!!!

13. Thanks for the replies, every ship had a lagging team,(in the good ol days)
    always covered in the white dust.
    Long life to all.

14. I am completely out of touch with todays Royal Navy. During the 1950s we did live in disgusting conditions, although we may have just taken it for granted at the time. Having been paid hard layers and unsuspectingly slung my 'mick' under many asbestos lagged pipes, cockroaches holding divisions on the fantrunking and condensation dripping down the bulkheads;-It is not to be wondered at that i ended up in R.N.H. Chatham very ill pnumonia, pluresy and sever lung congestion being the least of my problems.Had i not made a good recovery;-would the cry of 'Crown imunity' been heared?

15. HMS Dolphin , controlies workshop 92 civies drilling holes!!!! aaarggh asbetos. not allowed in for a week civies not allowed in for a month.
    after that told not to drill holes life returns to normal.

In the 60`s , as a kid ,living in Cyprus up the Trudos mountains pulling handful of fibres out of the mountain and playing with them.fun at the time.

Cleaning out drum brakes of my dads car as a teenager with an airhose and latter my own.

AAARGH!!!!!!!!!! I`m gong to die

16. Friend in Eastleigh died a couple of months back , welder in dock yards here ,Oz and SA. Coroner granted provisional death cert issued( the problems thats coursed)proper one will take up to 2 years. had to be burried and permision to exume granted before funneral could take place, very hard on family .

Asbestos was used in artex ceilings untill the 80`s , look up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stuff is all over the place.

17. I used to use asbestos fibres in qualitative chemistry. You'd place a small fine metal grill at the bottom of a glass thistle funnel and fill it with dry asbestos fibres then weigh it. Next you would filter the precipitate through the said funnel and dry in a chemist's oven. Weigh. Next sinter fibres and precipitate powder and reweigh. It all seems pretty pointless now but it was a very useful technique in the 1970s. Anyway as a result of this, and taking no precautions what so ever I can say that it did me no harm. Actually I still use asbestos today in my home laboratory, though the smallest diameter gas ring has replaced my old (brass) Bunsen burner!

I was screened a couple of years ago and OK'd..... so it must be safe! :dwarf:

PS: Still have and occasionally use my ancient asbestos blanket! It's older than me! :thumright: Not like modern stuff designed to use one then discard. :tp:

18. Read an article, that stated anyone leaving the RN before 1987 , cannot sue the Crown???

19. There is a standard claim process for asbestos-related disease now - anyone with severe enough symptoms will be referred to see a respiratory physician anyway and they have access to the system. There should be no payment required and solicitors shouldn't need to get involved.

Something which often complicates is smoking, which most people with mesothelioma did/still do. Although "pleural plaques" are related to asbestos exposure and not smoking, working out the proportion of lung damage that is attributable to smoking and that to the asbestos is tricky. There are essentially 2 co-existing conditions and they're not easy to separate.

20. I used to work ripping out the inners from old terrace houses to get them ready for renovation and then renting. I know what you mean about this as it is literally everywhere and whats worse is some of it could be just lime plaster dust and some of it it asbestos! Never thought about it up until one of the council bods came and inspected and found a shit load of the white stuff on the floor was asbestos dust. Its so hard to avoid though and i bet so many builders these days are still working in it without really knowing.