Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Article on HMS Vanguard in the Daily Mail

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Commander Lindsay said:
Out of the entire Armed Forces, there are only ever approximately 160 people who are allowed no communication at all with their families.

Bollocks. He has either lead a very sheltered life as a bomber faggot, or is being deliberately disingenuous for no good reason.

Cpt_Black

Lantern Swinger
Joe_Crow said:
Commander Lindsay said:
Out of the entire Armed Forces, there are only ever approximately 160 people who are allowed no communication at all with their families.

Bollocks. He has either lead a very sheltered life as a bomber faggot, or is being deliberately disingenuous for no good reason.

I gather he ment over the entire tour rather than whenever you want (as I first read it)

I can't think of a unit who would do a tour of a few months without having any outgoing contact with the outside world (except perhaps special forces - although would they do a lengthy tour in the same sense?) but I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly.
C

YouAreHavingALaugh

Lantern Swinger
That is the perks of having pound signs in your eyes, they took the option to become a sundodger.

Yes I know some had no option, but the majority do it for the money

Bawsack

Lantern Swinger
It would be interesting to see if the CO would be willing to Nuke South Africa if the order ever came in. Thats where he and his family are all from!!!

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Cpt_Black said:
Joe_Crow said:
Commander Lindsay said:

I gather he ment over the entire tour rather than whenever you want (as I first read it)

I can't think of a unit who would do a tour of a few months without having any outgoing contact with the outside world (except perhaps special forces - although would they do a lengthy tour in the same sense?) but I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly.
C

Fleet boats on ops, the poor relatives of the submarine family. Not only is there no outgoing communication, the Familygram scheme (allowing families the chance to send short weekly messages), which bombers have had for many many years, is often not available to SSNs.

The_Chief_Wizzum

Midshipman
Faslane naval base on the east coast of Scotland

When did this happen? there was me driving 77 miles each way every day and the damn place was apparently just along the road from me all along! Ha ! more fool the RN for paying all those HTDs.

The_Chief_Wizzum said:
Faslane naval base on the east coast of Scotland

When did this happen? there was me driving 77 miles each way every day and the damn place was apparently just along the road from me all along! Ha ! more fool the RN for paying all those HTDs.

Take it easy chief, it was the wail and at least they got the correct country, not that bad really.

Cpt_Black

Lantern Swinger
Joe_Crow said:
Cpt_Black said:
Joe_Crow said:
Commander Lindsay said:

C

Fleet boats on ops, the poor relatives of the submarine family. Not only is there no outgoing communication, the Familygram scheme (allowing families the chance to send short weekly messages), which bombers have had for many many years, is often not available to SSNs.

I stand corrected, cheers :)

brigham600

War Hero
Well, my son-in-law is a PO Mech on the Vanguard and I do know that my daughter is able to send familygrams regularly, but very rarely receives any from him.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
brigham600 said:
Well, my son-in-law is a PO Mech on the Vanguard and I do know that my daughter is able to send familygrams regularly, but very rarely receives any from him.

One way post on a bomber patrol. Many moons ago on my first patrol I recieved grams. 40 or 50 words ( A current queen will have to confirm) a week. Personally, IMHO, no contact is better than reading of the weather is fine, and I miss you!

witsend said:
brigham600 said:

One way post on a bomber patrol. Many moons ago on my first patrol I recieved grams. 40 or 50 words ( A current queen will have to confirm) a week. Personally, IMHO, no contact is better than reading of the weather is fine, and I miss you!

Having been ever so slightly invilved in getting familygrams for SSNs on Norhter Cruises many many moons ago certainly then they were appreciated by all, though from memory once a month was more like the frequency

shaddythers

Badgeman
Joe_Crow said:
Cpt_Black said:
Joe_Crow said:
Commander Lindsay said:

C

Not quite true mate. All SSN's have an E Mail capability, and receive 'grams when in area also. E Mail is the bane of the Comms branch!

Joe_Crow

War Hero
shaddythers said:
Joe_Crow said:
Cpt_Black said:
Joe_Crow said:
Commander Lindsay said:

C

Not quite true mate. All SSN's have an E Mail capability, and receive 'grams when in area also. E Mail is the bane of the Comms branch!

Actually, quite true. When on ops in sensitive areas, there will be no e-mail facility via the normal routes, as to receive, one must send, and an unexplained transmission from an area where there is no shipping will arouse some interest (though you should already know this). Some e-mails have been sent via a slightly different means from that which is normally used, but that would only be used when operationally essential. E-mails which are sent, but not received, will be buffered for a short time only, meaning that families have no way of knowing if those messages ever get through. Additionally, from recent personal experience, not all SSNs receive familygrams when in area.

shaddythers

Badgeman
Joe Crow:
Just read over my last post there mate, bad gramar on my part!
I didn't mean we could receive Emails on Ops, obviously not gonna happen!
Every SSN I have been on had Grams in area mate, maybe Janner ratings do it different... :thanks:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Guardian article on the sinking of HMS Sheffield - for what it's worth History 2
soleil HMS Victory: Daily Mail Article History 2
scouse HMS Poseidon Weihai 1931 article in todays Telegraph Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Financial Times: 18 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need business to help us get girls learning - and change the world: article by Baroness Sugg MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Telegraph: 12 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to article published in the FT on Wednesday 24 June on ventilators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hong Kong (Hong Kong myth busting article) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Telegraph: 15 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM Boris Johnson article on Hong Kong: 3 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Adviser's Sunday Telegraph article: 31 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Mail on Sunday: 17 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to FT article and Twitter thread by Peter Foster MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the Financial Times article on ventilators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Global Britain is leading the world as a force for good: article by Dominic Raab MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our tech sector has already attracted more foreign investment this year than it did for the whole of 2018: article by Nicky Morgan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS No-deal is a very real prospect. We must ensure we are ready: article by Michael Gove MoD News 0
vauxhall 'Scrap These Ludicrous Tax [email protected] - Telegraph Article Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Notre Dame was a tragedy, but in too many parts of the world it's the Christian congregation that perishes: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Confirmation of UK Government agreement to extend Article 50 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain has been shaping the world for centuries. That won’t change with Brexit: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Confirmation of UK Government agreement to Article 50 extension MoD News 0
slim Brexit re article 50 it must not be suspended/stopped under any circumstances Please sign the petition Current Affairs 486
MoD_RSS Speech: Japanese Prime Minister’s visit is a chance to celebrate our friendship with like-minded nations: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Secretary of State: Statement to Parliament in response to the CJEU's ruling on the Wightman Article 50 case MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain champions free speech, so we’re leading the war on fake news: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The World Cup ‘does not belong to Vladimir Putin’ and an England boycott would only cheat fans: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Airstrikes show we stand up for principle and civilised values: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Only Russia could have committed this crime: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Marking the anniversary of the Khan Sheikhoun attack: article by Alistair Burt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: West takes a stand to halt reckless ambitions: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Putin’s sinister threats and lies extend far beyond his own country: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain needs its allies to stand with us against Russia: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: My vision for Middle East peace between Israel and a new Palestinian state: article... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: We have voted to leave the EU, but not Europe: article by Theresa May MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 100 days: article by David Cameron MoD News 1
wave_dodger Another ridiculous DM article Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS News story: Harmonising airworthiness article MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Security and prosperity: article by David Cameron and Barack Obama MoD News 0
PedlarP Interesting News Article... The Gash Barge 2
PedlarP Interesting Article on Prototype Submarine Reactor Submariners 0
scouse Good article by Christina Schmid in today's Telegraph History 5
Subsunk Article: Seaforth World Naval Review 2014 ed Conrad Waters The Book Club 0
exJenny Semen good for women's health - Alas it's a DM article... Health & Fitness 23
S Interesting Article About Life Onboard Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS News article: Prince Harry completes tour of duty in Afghanistan The Gash Barge 97
MoD_RSS News article: RAF rescue crew battles 'whiteout' to help pregnant woman MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: International efforts to tackle piracy given a boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: 2 PARA plough on through snowy exercise MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News article: G8 Political Directors’ statement on Mali MoD News 0