Article in Sunday Herald about the forces

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by shellbackmac, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.sundayherald.com/oped/opinion/display.var.2392744.0.0.php

My opinion........The above article was written by a guy called Ian Bell, who writes on most subjects for the Sunday Herald and the Glasgow Herald as a columnist. I usually find his pieces to be wordy, thinly veiled attacks on someone or something, attacks that are dressed up as reasoned thought based on both sides of the argument in question. As soon as I read the title I knew he certainly wouldn't be on the side of the current UK involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan but didn't expect such a demeaning and damning view of the troops involved and the forces in general. The references to US stooges and 'baby terrorists' are extremely cheap shots and his demand that he would only take the forces seriously when we have the 'guts' to lay down arms and mutiny I found particularly offensive. A complete non-understanding of the ethos of the forces and its people and I noticed his only involvement and/or research he admits to is a memory of former childhood friends joining the army many years ago. Many debatable points in here but to me in general terms an example of the things that we are all up against as serving and indeed ex serving members of the forces in the UK at this present time.

2. BTW was glad to see that the day before this article was printed the Army held a large display and military tattoo in Stirling's Kings Park which was extremely well attended followed by a march by veterans through the town centre which brought a busy city centre to a standstill out of total respect for serving and ex serving troops, all of which was reported on the news on Saturday evening. I hope Mr Bell lives in the area.

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Mac shhhhhhhhhhhh, big brother is on!!!!!!!

4. Just posted a rather hostile comment on the web site as Ex RN of Plymouth. Got enough time to get me head down for a few hours before all the nasties come down from the heather after me head. Bah, the man's a total waster, knows nothing about the military ethos, and never will.

5. Isadirty I agree witrh your comments posted to the Herald.That reporter is sailing very close to the wind regarding incitement to mutiny.He should realise that the Services only do the bidding of the corrupt labour pollies he supports.It is the pollies who are the American stooges and thugs,getting us into these damm wars in the first place....the troops just have to suffer the consequences.His beloved political friends should consider the moral implications of going to war rather than the troops.the troops will have thought about the implications of taking up the job before they sign on and come to terms with the moral questions.

Having said all that rant any reporter who can get the word f*** in full,uncut ,into the a major newspaper must have some skill.

6. Typical Twaddle

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Where's Fink? - unlike him to miss an opportunity.....

8. Was thinking the same

9. Isadirty - great comments on that Herald website. Must remember them.
    The man is an arrse.

10. As Great Uncle Bob said when he was lumber jacking in Nova Scotia early in 1914, 'I heard the bugle call'.

Arseholes in Scotland are a rarity but this person is one of them, he should be sent immediately to the front line in Afghanistan armed only with his pen; has he recently converted to Islam?

11. How do you people in Scotland of course, manage to shit without arseholes.... :mrgreen:

As to the rag, that person is a total waste of space... :threaten:

12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

as this is now going to deteriorate into the usual slanging match - I shall move this somewhere more appropriate.

13. We talk shite?