Article: 'British Warships and Auxiliaries 1952' by Steve Bush

2badge_mango

War Hero
I was lucky enough to receive this as a Christmas present and can fully concur with Seaweed's excellent review. The book is particularly relevant to me since this was the Navy that I joined in May 1952 and many of the ships and auxiliaries featured are "old friends".
Just one minor point, those serving in Gay Bruiser and her sisters would have had no problem ashore since the word "gay" at that time had not yet been hijacked, and those of a homosexual bent (I use the word advisedly) were usually keen to keep a low profile since discovery could mean immediate "discharge shore", SNLR.
In any event, Coastal Forces like their Submarine counterparts wore a branch cap ribbon, HMMTB, rather than a Ship's name.

2BM

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I was just stretching it to make a joke. However CMS did have their own ship cap ribbons. A shilling a time from the coxswain.

Nice to know there are some other old things about!

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
I see my first ship mentioned...HMS Indefatigable 1951. That name practically ran all round my cap. I believe it was the 'F' that was over the nose.

I see my first ship mentioned...HMS Indefatigable 1951. That name practically ran all round my cap.

believe it was the 'F' that was over the nose.
The 'f' (lower case, BTW :wink:) does appears to be at middle-for-diddle...

Granny, I'll confess - You sure got a bite there with me counting/dividing/checking... :blush: :blush:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS PM Boris Johnson article on Hong Kong: 3 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Adviser's Sunday Telegraph article: 31 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Mail on Sunday: 17 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to FT article and Twitter thread by Peter Foster MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the Financial Times article on ventilators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Global Britain is leading the world as a force for good: article by Dominic Raab MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our tech sector has already attracted more foreign investment this year than it did for the whole of 2018: article by Nicky Morgan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS No-deal is a very real prospect. We must ensure we are ready: article by Michael Gove MoD News 0
vauxhall 'Scrap These Ludicrous Tax [email protected] - Telegraph Article Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Notre Dame was a tragedy, but in too many parts of the world it's the Christian congregation that perishes: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Confirmation of UK Government agreement to extend Article 50 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain has been shaping the world for centuries. That won’t change with Brexit: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Confirmation of UK Government agreement to Article 50 extension MoD News 0
slim Brexit re article 50 it must not be suspended/stopped under any circumstances Please sign the petition Current Affairs 486
MoD_RSS Speech: Japanese Prime Minister’s visit is a chance to celebrate our friendship with like-minded nations: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Secretary of State: Statement to Parliament in response to the CJEU's ruling on the Wightman Article 50 case MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain champions free speech, so we’re leading the war on fake news: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The World Cup ‘does not belong to Vladimir Putin’ and an England boycott would only cheat fans: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Airstrikes show we stand up for principle and civilised values: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Only Russia could have committed this crime: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Marking the anniversary of the Khan Sheikhoun attack: article by Alistair Burt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: West takes a stand to halt reckless ambitions: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Putin’s sinister threats and lies extend far beyond his own country: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain needs its allies to stand with us against Russia: article by Boris Johnson MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: My vision for Middle East peace between Israel and a new Palestinian state: article... MoD News 0
P Guardian article on the sinking of HMS Sheffield - for what it's worth History 2
MoD_RSS Speech: We have voted to leave the EU, but not Europe: article by Theresa May MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 100 days: article by David Cameron MoD News 1
wave_dodger Another ridiculous DM article Current Affairs 6
MoD_RSS News story: Harmonising airworthiness article MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Security and prosperity: article by David Cameron and Barack Obama MoD News 0
PedlarP Interesting News Article... The Gash Barge 2
PedlarP Interesting Article on Prototype Submarine Reactor Submariners 0
scouse Good article by Christina Schmid in today's Telegraph History 5
Subsunk Article: Seaforth World Naval Review 2014 ed Conrad Waters The Book Club 0
exJenny Semen good for women's health - Alas it's a DM article... Health & Fitness 23
S Interesting Article About Life Onboard Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS News article: Prince Harry completes tour of duty in Afghanistan The Gash Barge 97
MoD_RSS News article: RAF rescue crew battles 'whiteout' to help pregnant woman MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: International efforts to tackle piracy given a boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: 2 PARA plough on through snowy exercise MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News article: G8 Political Directors’ statement on Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: New £14 million contract boosts Brimstone missile stocks MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News article: Foreign Affairs Council meeting on Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: UK welcomes establishment of EU Training Mission to Mali MoD News 3
MoD_RSS News article: Foreign Office Minister updates on Algerian hostage crisis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: New treaty to formalise defence co-operation with Australia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: The Foreign Secretary has commented on the hostage crisis in Algeria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: This week at the Foreign Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News article: Foreign Secretary updates on situation in Algeria MoD News 0