Article: 'British Warships and Auxiliaries 1952' by Steve Bush

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by Seaweed, Mar 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. I was lucky enough to receive this as a Christmas present and can fully concur with Seaweed's excellent review. The book is particularly relevant to me since this was the Navy that I joined in May 1952 and many of the ships and auxiliaries featured are "old friends".
    Just one minor point, those serving in Gay Bruiser and her sisters would have had no problem ashore since the word "gay" at that time had not yet been hijacked, and those of a homosexual bent (I use the word advisedly) were usually keen to keep a low profile since discovery could mean immediate "discharge shore", SNLR.
    In any event, Coastal Forces like their Submarine counterparts wore a branch cap ribbon, HMMTB, rather than a Ship's name.

2BM

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I was just stretching it to make a joke. However CMS did have their own ship cap ribbons. A shilling a time from the coxswain.

Nice to know there are some other old things about!

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You two make me feel young.

5. HMS Hornet Feb '53- Oct '54:-D

2BM

6. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I see my first ship mentioned...HMS Indefatigable 1951. That name practically ran all round my cap. I believe it was the 'F' that was over the nose.

7. The 'f' (lower case, BTW :wink:) does appears to be at middle-for-diddle...

Granny, I'll confess - You sure got a bite there with me counting/dividing/checking... :blush: :blush: