Article: Azincourt - by Bernard Cornwell

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by Blackrat, Jan 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Thanks for the Review Blackrat, looks like a good book.

Cornwell is famous for making his characters into a series. Do you know if this book is a one-off or part of a larger series of books with more to come?

3. I read this one some time ago. A facinating story told very much in a way that brings history to life. I don't think I have ever been disapointed in a Cornwell book, can you belive it's now 30 years since the first Sharp book was published !

I just need to read the Burning land and The Fort now and that will be me up to date.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. I've got the book as I'm a sucker for history,normally it's the RN or WW1 but this is a rattling good book.
    Henry won because the weather was foul and he picked a spot that forced the Frenchies into a bottleneck.
    He killed a lot of prisoners and there was a bit of a fuss later on by the Liberal/Labour Party! but that was the accepted norm in those days if you couldn't look after them and they may attack your rear[As in the Criterion and Albany Pompey pubs]
    I just wondered if Shakespeare's epic play is ever performed in France,it was a crushing defeat but they tend to gloss over those.

5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I would hope so. Henry died in his thirties and his son, Henry VI, was the unhappy King through the turmoil that was known as The War of the Roses. The potential for a series is certainly set up.

6. Always enjoy a Cornwell book, but by preference I rate his Saxon Stories about Uthred of Bebbanburg, new one out this month as it happens