Army's Apache fires first Hellfire missiles at sea

In a significant milestone in proving the capability of Apache to operate and strike from the sea, 30mm rounds and Hellfire missiles were successfully fired against seaborne targets in a long-planned exercise near Gibraltar.
My bold, a soothing phrase just to allay any fears Gib's next door neighbour has that HM Govt is planning to blow their new Guardia Civil vessel out of our waters...

BZ AAC, I bet Somali pirates will read this one with interest!

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I liked the phrase "Understanding shipborne life". Further on "Integrating into the Air Group" NB not the life of the ship.

My bold, a soothing phrase just to allay any fears Gib's next door neighbour has that HM Govt is planning to blow their new Guardia Civil vessel out of our waters...
This happened too near Gibraltar one week after. SPS Juan Carlos I. The first plane take off.

Just in case if HM Govt is planning to blow our new Civil Guard vessel out of our waters.

Fair one AEB, we are a little deficient on the these floating runway thingys at the moment - not that we need one. This one doesn't move but it's unsinkable...

gibraltarrunway.jpg

Just as a reminder:

RAF land-based aircraft are having to fly 1,000 nm (1,852 km) round trips from Italy with tanker support to perform what are essentially tip-and-run attacks in Libya. Even without the obvious benefits to be gained from having a dozen or more Harriers operating from a carrier 20 nm off the Libyan coast, shouldn't the following impressive combination have entered the arena long before now?

Apaches on board HMS Ocean Oct 2009.jpg
Army Air Corps Apache AH-1 attack helicopters
on board HMS Ocean in Oct 2009

Apaches also operated from HMS Ark Royal as recently as seven months ago:

Apache on board HMS Ark Royal Oct 2010.jpg
Army Air Corps Apache AH-1 attack helicopters
on board HMS Ark Royal in Oct 2010

Yes, 1704 - 2011 is more than 300 years. Lets face it the Morrocans have a greater claim to Gibraltar than Spain has.

Some basic maths for you - Since the fall of the Roman Empire a brief period in Visigoth hands, 711-1462 in Moorish hands, 1462-1704 in Spanish hands (242yrs) and 1704-present (300 years plus and counting) in British hands (having been signed over to us by the Spanish).

Cheers easy. (roughly tranlsates as "toma ya!")