Army Transfers royal marines

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by michaelyg, Dec 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello
    how do transfers work from the army to royal marines! does anyone no of any real events when this has happened? would i be looked down on?

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I've known people leave the army and join the Marines but they have had to go through basic training, one was a signaller in the army for 3 years, transfered, went through CTCRM via colly for dropping a DL in the middle of the parade ground and is now in the Aussie SAS.

It would help if you had a keen fashion sense for Laura Ashley dresses.

Hope this helps. :thumright:

3. from what i have been told the easiest way to transfer from any servic e to another is to not bother. Apparently the easiest way is to stick your notice in. Once you have a date get down to the careers office and they will give you a date.
    This is from a few people who have been ex raf ex army transfering to RN.
    Apparently transfers can take years.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It isn't Danny, by far the easiest way is to transfer"in service". If you leave one job & fail selection for the other, then you've just lost a job.

If you transfer "in service" AFTER you have given the required Return of Service (in other words the "payback" for training you in the first place) you continue to get paid throughout & if you fail selection, you can remain where you are.

5. like i say this was from people who have done it. one lad crab - rn said it would have taken 2 years to compleate a transfer.
    He said there was a month he didnt get paid.
    If you fail is there a reason you cannot just go back to the army i thaught they were deserate for re joiners.

6. Would the all arms commando course ba a good idea for that guy to take then?

I thought that let people who wanted to transfer to the marines with a skill or trade join up?

7. It would let them join the commando logs rgt. But they woudnt be a royal marine. As far as im aware doing the 32 weeks is the only way to becombe a royal marine.

CLR is made up of all kinds. Booties obviasly, REME, RLC, Matloets (like myself) and probably a few more besides. This dosent mean your a royal marine though.

8. Ahhh fair enough, that makes sense.

So he would have to like, transfer, then go through the 32 weeks and start from scratch?

To the original poster: What makes you want to transfer service from the army to the royal marines? You could always just do P coy and go paras, would save you a lot of trouble in the whole transferring of service stuff.

*waits to get assimilated for mentioning paras :p*