Army to Navy transfer advice.

Morning all!

Currently serving in the REME as a LCpl class one vehicle mechanic. Have seen many opportunities for engineering positions within the Royal Navy specifically the submarine service, and it looks like an interesting switch.

There is currently a financial incentive being offered for people transferring into the Navy but the minimum rank it is offered to is leading hand, OR4.

Being that I am a LCpl OR3, a rank I believe you do not have in the Navy, if I were to be successful in transferring would they likely only accept me as a rating? Or would they recognise that I have been an NCO in another Branch?

Any advice from Ex REME or Ex Army blokes that have taken the plunge would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not a squaddie myself, but you can make a formal enquiry without obligation to commit & the approval to process letter issued will detailvthe terms and conditions of the transfer, contract, rate (rank) rate of pay, etc.

Roger, would just like to have a rough idea of what the offer would be likely to look like before I show my hand to the Coc.

Cheers though Ninja :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
No worries, difficult to punt a guess but I'd be surprised if they promoted you upon transfer unless you had the specific qualifications, experience and skills required for the rate.

I would imagine they would most likely offer you ET(MESM) or, if you have Level 3 Engineering qualifications, either the UGAS or possibly accelerated apprentice. It's unlikely anyone could give a more accurate pointer unless you get a CV together, listing qualifications & experience.

Appreciate the reply, I don't currently have a CV put together but I'll get on that.

Although I have level 3 engineering qualifications through my current role, and being a class one I'm expected to inspect and sign off more junior tradesmen's work and inspect equipment for roadworthiness. Appreciate it's a completely different role as in the Navy but may help with your advice.

Thanks again for the reply Ninja:)

Richbomber

Badgeman
@Carra23gold I'm one of those that have recently transferred over and it's been a good move so far. I can give you the full run down on the process if needed. As Ninja said everyone will get an offer based on your quals, rank and experience. I know a non REME guy that applied to transfer as a LCpl and his initial offer was to come over as an LET, this did surprise me as he had no engineering background, anyway he failed the selection test he was required to complete and is still in the Army. The level 3 NVQ will defiantly help you. The big things that will stop anyone transferring are, Tattoos on hands and neck / face, BMI above 28, MLD, MND, failing fitness test (pretty much impossible) and finally if capita decide you have had/got any medical problems that could cause future problems.

The "transfer Bonus" you are talking about does not exist. It is not for transferring if is a financial retention incentive and as you stated it is only for OR4,OR6 & OR7's in the Engineering branch to keep them in for a further 4 years. It can not be claimed if you have any other RoS outstanding, if you become MLD or MND during the 4 years you could be required to pay it back, it's obviously designed to retain engineers and keep them at sea. I'm not saying you wouldn't get it but there a lot of people thinking a transfer bonus is available when it isn't. There is a RNTM (157 I think) explaining it, just have a look on the RN references on DII. The current FRI is due to end Mar / Apr 2019 and they are not expecting it to be renewed after that.

Anyway like I said need any info or advice PM me and I will do what i can.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
Armouredcav18 British Army to Royal Navy transfer Joining the Royal Navy 3
Bill6001 Army Reservist transfer to Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Army Sgt Vehicle Mechanic (REME) transfer to Royal Navy ME Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
D Army to Navy qualified nurse transfer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Army to navy transfer UPO/Careers Office 3
J Army transfer to navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
I Army to Navy Transfer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
cutchmc Army to Navy transfer Marine Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
B Transfer from army to navy q's. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
T Trying to transfer from army to navy please help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
G Transfer form Army into Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Commissioning from army to navy (hopefully) UPO/Careers Office 24
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Army v Navy Rugby Match, May 2nd 2020, Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 0
O Territorial Army to Navy Paperwork Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy And British Army Reduce Presence In Caribbean" RFA 3
P Royal Navy or British Army? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
C Re-joiner Army to Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
W Army Navy rugby The Quarterdeck 2
S Unsure of whether to join the Army or Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil Forces Network Sports: Army V Navy Babcock Trophy: How To Watch LIVE Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Extra Seats Made Available For Army Navy Match On May 5th 2018 Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil RNRU: Priority Access to Army v Navy 2019 Tickets Sports and Adventure Training 7
S Army vs. Navy Medicine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Transferring from the army to the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
J Army v Navy Rugby tickets Social & Reunions 0
sj25105815 Ex Army, joining Navy age 36, going comms tech! Got questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 201
AETButler Navy to Army Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Trainer Army Navy Match Current Affairs 62
soleil Army v Navy 2017 Tickets On Sale Sports and Adventure Training 3
Yetiboy48 Do the army release medical info to navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Trainer Army Navy Tickets: FLYING FOX Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
T Transferer from Army to the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
benbass Joining the navy from the army Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Army Navy 16 - RNR Bash Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
Topstop Twickenham Army Navy 2015 Diamond Lil's 9
T FFL to Navy or Army Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
A Navy vs RAF vs Army pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 13
S RNR Army Navy Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 28
S Army Navy Sat 3rd May Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
soleil Shepton/M Journal: "Somerset Flooding: 'Army? We Need The Navy!' Photo Goes Viral" Current Affairs 0
soleil NFF: "Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match" Sports and Adventure Training 0
T Navy vs Army in skiing Sports and Adventure Training 1
Bluebird79 Army vs Navy Rugby 2014 Sports and Adventure Training 54
G Army to Navy The Gash Barge 12
1 army to navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil HMS Sultan - Army/Navy Combined Training Marine Engineering Course Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil Union Jack Club - Army v Navy Rugby 2013 - April 27th 2013 Sports and Adventure Training 1