Army 'to axe injured soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomm90, Sep 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Army 'to axe injured soldiers'
    (UKPA) – 16 hours ago
    Up to 5,000 troops could be discharged from the armed forces because they are medically unfit for combat duties, including many injured in Iraq and Afghanistan, it was reported.
    The Sunday Times quoted a leaked Ministry of Defence document as saying that 5% of the Army's 102,000 personnel were no longer fit to be deployed in action.
    The newspaper suggested that the worst affected 1,500 troops were in line to be discharged first, with 750 following in each of the next few years. While "only a proportion of those discharged are likely to have been injured on operations... this number is likely to grow as operations in Afghanistan continue", the document said.
    The MoD refused to comment on the leaked document, but a spokesman played down suggestions that a mass cull of injured troops was in the offing and insisted there was no quota for numbers to leave the Army.
    "The number of soldiers medically discharged is done on a case by case basis and it is inappropriate to speculate on future numbers," said the spokesman.
    Earlier this year, the MoD unveiled a £70 million project to help injured troops to either remain in the forces or make a transition to civilian life.
    The Army Recovery Capability scheme envisaged 12 "personnel recovery units" around the UK providing programmes aimed at either getting them fit to return to a military post or preparing them for life outside the Armed Forces.
    Launching the programme in February, General Sir David Richards, the head of the Army, said: "I confidently expect that no soldier who thinks it is in his interest to stay will be forced out."
    But the new document, drawn up by a civil servant at UK Land Forces HQ in Wiltshire and circulated to ministers, senior MoD officials and Army top brass, suggested that the discharge of injured troops was likely to prove controversial.
    Entitled Management of Army Personnel who are Medically Unfit for Service, it conceded that discharges of injured troops may be seen as the "MoD discarding those who have sacrificed much on our behalf", said the Sunday Times. And it added: "Difficult decisions will inevitably need to be made about individuals who already have a significant media profile. These will require careful handling."

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i8EUG65XQQKs7yBIwMuDyLjtZKRg
     
  2. A 'leaked' report? One can but hope someone within the inner circle where this report was generated, or someone to whom it was circulated, has a conscience and was the 'leaker'?

    Perchance my faith in human nature has a little life left in the embers?
     
  3. I like to think that if my service career had been effected by injury in the line of duty to the extent that I could not continue in my chosen role I would opt for making a new life for myself in civvy street rather than hang around having to watch all my oppos doing what I longed to do.Whether in reality I would be so sure will never be tested but one thing is for sure there are no easy decisions for any parties and I wish all those facing them the very best of luck.
     
  4. Judging by the amount of seriously injured troops that the MOD now has what other option is their? Lots of these troops are going to need long term care and could the Military give them that? (Bearing in mind we have nearly nothing left in the way of Mil hospitals).
     
  5. some of the leg irons in the MOB should be booted out
     
  6. When I was on a Squadron at Cott, we hadat least 8 groundcrew who could nor deploy anywhere due to malingering! Thats where the cuts should be, every squadron has some!!!
     

Share This Page