Army Sgt Vehicle Mechanic (REME) transfer to Royal Navy ME

Redfox87

Hi guys,

I am looking for some info on transferring to Royal Navy ME.

I am already a SGT Vehicle Mechanic (REME) in the Army and i am thinking about transferring to Royal Navy ME.

I think my time as a Vehicle Mechanic has run its course and wouldn't mind a new challenge still within the mechanical side of life.

I believe there is a DIN out somewhere about the transfer but I am struggling to find it.

Any info about whether I would keep my rank and about the training would be much appreciated.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Look for user name 'Hooly' he has just done it.

As an aside, are all those Pongos coming over 'cos of the RN's 2 snorkers at brekky rule?

Sumo

War Hero
Is some recruiter wandering around pongo camps press ganging new recruits or offering a bouncy castle on their birthday's, seems to be a few wanting to join the Senior Service

Paulajayne

Midshipman
Hi guys,

I am looking for some info on transferring to Royal Navy ME.

I am already a SGT Vehicle Mechanic (REME) in the Army and i am thinking about transferring to Royal Navy ME.

I think my time as a Vehicle Mechanic has run its course and wouldn't mind a new challenge still within the mechanical side of life.

I believe there is a DIN out somewhere about the transfer but I am struggling to find it.

Any info about whether I would keep my rank and about the training would be much appreciated.

Tiffy Course?

Richbomber

Badgeman
@Redfox87 Hello mate, Hooly is away at the moment in the oggin somewhere. Anywho he did complete the Direct entry scheme which is totally different from what you would be looking at doing. He done his 22 in the Army, was a civi for a couple of years then joined back up so obviously he couldn't just transfer.

However I have just transferred, long in the tooth now (1 Month in the blue suit) and it's a breath of fresh air!
I was REME also (pushed out 19 years, needed a new challenge) and came across with a couple of others and quite a few are following.

There is no DIN on the subject as the RN are not allowed to actively poach us pongos, however word has spread and Glasgow have got a bit of a hump on. To that end I believe they mate have now put time delays on guys coming across but 12 months should be the max.

I have all the info and contact details for the relevant people and I can give you the run down on the process if needed. It's pretty simple to be honest but you will have to deal with civis (CAPITA) and that is the most time consuming part. I take it you are MFD and able to pass all the fitness tests ect as that will be required?

Anyway if you want any help, PM me and I will pass on all the info.

ScubaSteven

@Richbomber,
@Redfox87 Hello mate, Hooly is away at the moment in the oggin somewhere. Anywho he did complete the Direct entry scheme which is totally different from what you would be looking at doing. He done his 22 in the Army, was a civi for a couple of years then joined back up so obviously he couldn't just transfer.

However I have just transferred, long in the tooth now (1 Month in the blue suit) and it's a breath of fresh air!
I was REME also (pushed out 19 years, needed a new challenge) and came across with a couple of others and quite a few are following.

There is no DIN on the subject as the RN are not allowed to actively poach us pongos, however word has spread and Glasgow have got a bit of a hump on. To that end I believe they mate have now put time delays on guys coming across but 12 months should be the max.

I have all the info and contact details for the relevant people and I can give you the run down on the process if needed. It's pretty simple to be honest but you will have to deal with civis (CAPITA) and that is the most time consuming part. I take it you are MFD and able to pass all the fitness tests ect as that will be required?

Anyway if you want any help, PM me and I will pass on all the info.
Hi mate, I have just followed this thread and I am looking at the info at the minute to make a career choice. I am currently deployed on Ops in Africa until July, so there's no rush at the minute. I have served 20 years and I'm an Artisan SSgt VM A, I am MFD and pass fitness tests no problem.

I 'could' promote to WO2 in 2018 and then maybe apply for LE commision, however I'm at a 'what if" crossroads. My wife has a few serving friends in the Royal Navy and they have suggested looking into transferring across as some Engineers are keeping their rank and you could actually still serve till aged 55 and then leave without having to extend your service through the army LE route. Any information would be appreciated in order for me to make a decision, as you stated there is no DIN as such and APC Glasgow know they have a problem on their hands. Would I be leaving it too late at my 21 year point in Feb 18 to decide? I will still serve until July 21 with VEng Full potentially, so I'd still have 3 years left in the army.

ScubaSteven

I'm almost sold, keep rank, move from Supp 2 to 3. Have more increments. Serve till 60. FRI. New challenge and learn new things.
The deal breaker is can you actually Grow a beard?

Stirlin

War Hero
I'm almost sold, keep rank, move from Supp 2 to 3. Have more increments. Serve till 60. FRI. New challenge and learn new things.
The deal breaker is can you actually Grow a beard?
Grow a set ? , of course......as long as it does not look like hairs on bacon you will be fine. :)

Stirlin

War Hero
This version is priced at only 0.01p......plus £2.80 p&p , much the same as the one above ^^ which has the new cover.
-

ScubaSteven

Can I just ask whether the transfers are still ongoing and being accepted and if the Engineering Branch FRI RNTM dated March 17 still stands with regards to the FRI?

I am deployed on Ops and have no DII access until I return in 2 weeks however there is a duty rumour circulating that Army HQ are trying to put a stop to it. I'm not sure how maybe by scaremongering. Shows how desperate they are. Either way, if the FRI is removed VM's and other REME trades will move from Supp 2 to Supp 3 and after 20 years I can prolong my career. I can't see how the Army can stop transfers unless it comes direct from Whitehall. Anyway my transfer will be going through by August and duty rumours and scaremongering will only make me more determined.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Army experts boost NATO fight against COVID-19 disinformation MoD News 0
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Army v Navy Rugby Match, May 2nd 2020, Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS The UK completes training of Somali National Army battalion in Baidoa MoD News 0
O Territorial Army to Navy Paperwork Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy And British Army Reduce Presence In Caribbean" RFA 3
P Royal Navy or British Army? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS £2.8bn armoured vehicle contract secured for British Army MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army and RAF listed as top 100 social mobility employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Army soldiers’ skills mapped to the Scottish qualifications framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army boosts UK prosperity with £3m funding through DASA autonomous competition MoD News 0
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS British Army launches Industrial Engagement Framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DE&S and British Army launch the Army Warfighting Experiment (AWE) 20 experimentation project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Somali National Army Personnel graduate from UK led training in Baidoa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New high-tech Army reconaissance vehicles built in Merthyr Tydfil MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army restructures to confront evolving threats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Military works with Vietnam People's Army MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Coventry company wins £63m Army vehicle support contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Army harnesses UK bridging innovation MoD News 0
C Re-joiner Army to Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
W Army Navy rugby The Quarterdeck 2
L Army medical s8 advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS News story: Army robotics receive £66m boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Army tests innovative virtual reality training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Minister for Asia statement on Arakan Army and Tatmadaw fighting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Army receives pioneering bomb disposal robots MoD News 0
datlaidbackdude Applying for RN and Army-commonwealth Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Unsure of whether to join the Army or Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: Army start biggest military robot exercise in British history, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
1 Ex army wanting to join. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS News story: British Army set to redefine warfare with joint Autonomous Warrior MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of D-Day army medic rededicated 74 years after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Soldiers begin training on first sports facility delivered for Army Basing Programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Army’s new air defence missile blasts airborne target by Baltic Sea MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary expands Army reserve numbers in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British army officer killed during WW1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 0
soleil Forces Network Sports: Army V Navy Babcock Trophy: How To Watch LIVE Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Forces Network News: "Former Army Captain MP Blames 'Defence Cuts' For Labour Win In Military City" Bases / Shore Est 5
Armouredcav18 British Army to Royal Navy transfer Joining the Royal Navy 3
A Transferring from army (advice) Joining the Royal Navy 2
soleil Extra Seats Made Available For Army Navy Match On May 5th 2018 Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS News story: Seven british Army soldiers killed during World War 1 are honoured as they are laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Army’s rifle set for multi-million-pound upgrade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army officer helps Zambia set up health care education programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British Army re-joins Boxer programme MoD News 0
Stirlin Army abuse trial halted The Quarterdeck 17
MoD_RSS Press release: Defence Secretary announces innovative threat detection system for the Army's newest armoured vehicle MoD News 0
soleil RNRU: Priority Access to Army v Navy 2019 Tickets Sports and Adventure Training 7