Army Reserves and the RFA

Discussion in 'RFA' started by seajudged, Oct 14, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Simple question, is it possible to remain a member of the Army Reserve whilst serving in the RFA?

2. No. It was made clear to me at interview it wasn't.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for that.

4. Nope. We've had a few reservist had to leave due to "conflict of interest"

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

....however, other Civil Servants can join the Reserves.

Limited numbers of the Police, Ambulance & Fire/Rescue service are also permitted to join the reserves dependant on the local area head honcho policy.

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

RFA personnel are Sponsored Reserves (RNR List 7). No input, rank or uniform change required. It may still be possible to be on a 'working' RNR list and in the RFA. I knew a 2/O (X) who was concurrently a Lieutenant Commander RNR.

In the very old days lots of RFA officers ( deck and engineers) had RNR commissions. Such was pointed out to some of the RFA hostile to the SR concept.

7. It used to be possible, and those already in have grandfather rights, but new joiners cannot be in both the RFA and reserve forces. There is apparently an exception for cadets during their training but once complete they will have to leave.

I know it is something which has been kicked upstairs because there have been a few good RNR types who have joined the RFA and thus had to leave. It's bonkers as it would be a perfect combination, but someone somewhere is saying no.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's certainly an interesting one. If RFA are List 7 reserves (non deployable -same as URNU students) then one cannot help but wonder what Project Hermes is all about ;)