Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army Reserve to RNR - what's the gen?

usmarox

Midshipman
Hi all,

As the title suggests, really.

I'm not going to lie - I'm considering a transfer because I'm not happy with how things are developing in my present unit, so I've set myself a timeline to see if they work themselves out, and if not, I'm offski.

I was tempted by the Diving Branch when it first started (about the same time I joined the TA), but I didn't drive and I lived a long way from the nearest RNR unit. Since neither of those now apply, I thought it might be worth looking again.

Regards,

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
What is it that is going wrong with the AR and why do you thnk the RNR can fix it? Would it be better to transfer units internally?

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I read the thread there, and to be honest I think you'd be better placed transferring AR units rather than try a whole new Service.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I'm ex TA and now RNR.

If you're gonna do it, be prepared to consume a catering sized can of fuckabout. The RNR struggles to employ it's own people, let alone people with prior service and existing skills.

For example, I am a qualified REME armourer and Ex regular RN small arms maintainer. In the RNR I am technically not allowed to handle the SA80 because I haven't done the correct RNR course. This course is run during phase 1 training. Because I'm a transferee and didn't do phase 1, I haven't done the course and probably never will. I would have to go back and do the full two week course with a load of phase 1 trainees in order to be qualified.

As you can imagine, my time is precious and I'd really rather not smash all my MTDs repeating shit I already know inside out and back to front. Without wishing to sound big headed, I am probably the most experienced person in the entire RNR on that weapons system, yet according to the rules, I'm not even supposed to touch it. This course is a requirement imposed by the regular RN. Everyone agrees that this is a stupid situation, but no one has the stones or ability to grant a waiver or whatever.

It will be the same for you. It is very frustrating. Expect to repeat a lot of courses. Don't expect to use anything you've learned in the TA.

Having said all that, I've now found a nice little niche within the RNR that is working very well for me and I'm now enjoying it more than I ever enjoyed the TA. It took a ******* long time to get to this stage and I was close to jacking on a variety of occasions. I was fucked about beyond belief, but thankfully things have worked out for the best now (with thanks to a few people on this site).

It's worth a shot, you might really like it, but be warned, it will not be a straightforward easy ride and you'll probably have to do a lot of gobbling off to some quite senior people, in order to get anywhere.

Whatever you do, print off all your jpa competencies, as they occasionally get "lost" in transfers, your print out will enable the RNR JSU to re-enter them

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Whatever you do, print off all your jpa competencies, as they occasionally get "lost" in transfers, your print out will enable the RNR JSU to re-enter them

While you're at it, no harm adding a few buckshee courses and quals just to make yourself look better.

In all seriousness, I could've added ******* anything to my JPA competencies and no one would've known. They took my word and a tatty excel spreadsheet as gospel.

Commodore 2dd
(Para, commando, EOD technician, PWO, Navs Yeo)

Similarly, if you're ever at Collingwood, head over to the photographic section and get a timetable of course photos. Any you fancy, sneak in at the back and get your face in the picture. A couple of years later, the course booking cell will accept a course photo as proof that you attended that course, and will update your competencies with it.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Similarly, if you're ever at Collingwood, head over to the photographic section and get a timetable of course photos. Any you fancy, sneak in at the back and get your face in the picture. A couple of years later, the course booking cell will accept a course photo as proof that you attended that course, and will update your competencies with it.
Yep, worked for me as a Careers Adviser, too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary expands Army reserve numbers in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army Reserve Centre undergoes £1.275 million refurbishment MoD News 0
P How do we better the 'Army Reserve Offer'? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 132
MoD_RSS Lebanese Army Commander ends two-day visit to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Army trains Somali National Army Brigade headquarters MoD News 0
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Army's construction vehicles boosted by £240 million contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1.2m innovation contracts awarded to help Army engineers survey water crossings MoD News 0
T Commissioning from army to navy (hopefully) UPO/Careers Office 24
MoD_RSS Defence Minister and Head of the US Army sign Modernisation Agreement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army experts boost NATO fight against COVID-19 disinformation MoD News 0
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Army v Navy Rugby Match, May 2nd 2020, Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS The UK completes training of Somali National Army battalion in Baidoa MoD News 0
O Territorial Army to Navy Paperwork Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy And British Army Reduce Presence In Caribbean" RFA 3
P Royal Navy or British Army? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS £2.8bn armoured vehicle contract secured for British Army MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army and RAF listed as top 100 social mobility employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Army soldiers’ skills mapped to the Scottish qualifications framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army boosts UK prosperity with £3m funding through DASA autonomous competition MoD News 0
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS British Army launches Industrial Engagement Framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DE&S and British Army launch the Army Warfighting Experiment (AWE) 20 experimentation project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Somali National Army Personnel graduate from UK led training in Baidoa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New high-tech Army reconaissance vehicles built in Merthyr Tydfil MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army restructures to confront evolving threats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Military works with Vietnam People's Army MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Coventry company wins £63m Army vehicle support contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Army harnesses UK bridging innovation MoD News 0
C Re-joiner Army to Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
W Army Navy rugby The Quarterdeck 2
L Army medical s8 advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS News story: Army robotics receive £66m boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Army tests innovative virtual reality training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government response: Minister for Asia statement on Arakan Army and Tatmadaw fighting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Army receives pioneering bomb disposal robots MoD News 0
datlaidbackdude Applying for RN and Army-commonwealth Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Unsure of whether to join the Army or Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: Army start biggest military robot exercise in British history, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
1 Ex army wanting to join. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS News story: British Army set to redefine warfare with joint Autonomous Warrior MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of D-Day army medic rededicated 74 years after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Soldiers begin training on first sports facility delivered for Army Basing Programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Army’s new air defence missile blasts airborne target by Baltic Sea MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British army officer killed during WW1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 0
soleil Forces Network Sports: Army V Navy Babcock Trophy: How To Watch LIVE Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Forces Network News: "Former Army Captain MP Blames 'Defence Cuts' For Labour Win In Military City" Bases / Shore Est 5
Armouredcav18 British Army to Royal Navy transfer Joining the Royal Navy 3