Army Reserve to RNR - what's the gen?

Hi all,

As the title suggests, really.

I'm not going to lie - I'm considering a transfer because I'm not happy with how things are developing in my present unit, so I've set myself a timeline to see if they work themselves out, and if not, I'm offski.

I was tempted by the Diving Branch when it first started (about the same time I joined the TA), but I didn't drive and I lived a long way from the nearest RNR unit. Since neither of those now apply, I thought it might be worth looking again.

Regards,

I'm ex TA and now RNR.

If you're gonna do it, be prepared to consume a catering sized can of fuckabout. The RNR struggles to employ it's own people, let alone people with prior service and existing skills.

For example, I am a qualified REME armourer and Ex regular RN small arms maintainer. In the RNR I am technically not allowed to handle the SA80 because I haven't done the correct RNR course. This course is run during phase 1 training. Because I'm a transferee and didn't do phase 1, I haven't done the course and probably never will. I would have to go back and do the full two week course with a load of phase 1 trainees in order to be qualified.

As you can imagine, my time is precious and I'd really rather not smash all my MTDs repeating shit I already know inside out and back to front. Without wishing to sound big headed, I am probably the most experienced person in the entire RNR on that weapons system, yet according to the rules, I'm not even supposed to touch it. This course is a requirement imposed by the regular RN. Everyone agrees that this is a stupid situation, but no one has the stones or ability to grant a waiver or whatever.

It will be the same for you. It is very frustrating. Expect to repeat a lot of courses. Don't expect to use anything you've learned in the TA.

Having said all that, I've now found a nice little niche within the RNR that is working very well for me and I'm now enjoying it more than I ever enjoyed the TA. It took a ******* long time to get to this stage and I was close to jacking on a variety of occasions. I was fucked about beyond belief, but thankfully things have worked out for the best now (with thanks to a few people on this site).

It's worth a shot, you might really like it, but be warned, it will not be a straightforward easy ride and you'll probably have to do a lot of gobbling off to some quite senior people, in order to get anywhere.

Whatever you do, print off all your jpa competencies, as they occasionally get "lost" in transfers, your print out will enable the RNR JSU to re-enter them
While you're at it, no harm adding a few buckshee courses and quals just to make yourself look better.

In all seriousness, I could've added ******* anything to my JPA competencies and no one would've known. They took my word and a tatty excel spreadsheet as gospel.

Commodore 2dd
(Para, commando, EOD technician, PWO, Navs Yeo)

Similarly, if you're ever at Collingwood, head over to the photographic section and get a timetable of course photos. Any you fancy, sneak in at the back and get your face in the picture. A couple of years later, the course booking cell will accept a course photo as proof that you attended that course, and will update your competencies with it.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Similarly, if you're ever at Collingwood, head over to the photographic section and get a timetable of course photos. Any you fancy, sneak in at the back and get your face in the picture. A couple of years later, the course booking cell will accept a course photo as proof that you attended that course, and will update your competencies with it.
Yep, worked for me as a Careers Adviser, too.