Army Navy Match

How can Rokoduguni play as a full time pro for Bath RFC and still be in the army?
knew a PTI who coached Havant many moons ago, not allowed to be paid as the Pro Coach whilst drawing his pussers pay, but apparently on the gossip net he had some nice side benefits.
When I did Navy sport, the opposing's Army squad spent 10 months a year as a team? That's the army way, you could have called them professionals' as they did no army work?

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
knew a PTI who coached Havant many moons ago, not allowed to be paid as the Pro Coach whilst drawing his pussers pay, but apparently on the gossip net he had some nice side benefits.
When I did Navy sport, the opposing's Army squad spent 10 months a year as a team? That's the army way, you could have called them professionals' as they did no army work?
I refer you to the MOD's 'Elite Sportsman' Policy. How did Sgt Kelly Holmes manage, or Flt Lt Underwood, or Captain Rodber Green Howards, on indeed S/Lt Peter Reed RN.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I refer you to the MOD's 'Elite Sportsman' Policy. How did Sgt Kelly Holmes manage, or Flt Lt Underwood, or Captain Rodber Green Howards, on indeed S/Lt Peter Reed RN.
Lt Cdr Reed MBE....

It's an interesting policy in these challenging manpower times. I do wonder about the policys value in recruitment and retention, but it is relatively cheap.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Me? I tire of sportsmen & women who join the Armed Forces to milk the system for "prestige", seldom serve operationally & leave gapped billets whenever they need to be somewhere for an 80 minute match, ten second run, 60 minute boxing match, etc.

When we had the manpower & budget, fine. But not any more. It doesn't aid recruitment from any group other than elite athletes looking for a free ride.

Divisionally, they're a pain in the arse.

A little while back the Army announced that they were withdrawing funding from Olympic Biathlon. One squaddie dripped like ten, claiming that after 10 years (in which they had won diddly-squat) she would quit the Army if, horror of horrors, she had do to the job for which she was paid a wage (loggie).

My opinion? WTF.

A little while back the Army announced that they were withdrawing from Olympic Biathlon. One squaddie dripped like ten, claiming that after 10 years (in which they had won diddly-squat) she would quit the Army if, horror of horrors, she had do to the job for which she was paid a wage (loggie).

My opinion? WTF.
My opinion would be FRO then, main gates over there!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
My opinion would be FRO then, main gates over there!
Read and weep: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/25661219

Someone paid a wage by the Army said:
"To go back to military duties... I'm a clerk, and the thought of sitting behind a desk and doing people's pay is terrifying, actually."
Remind me again what the UK taxpayer forks out for Army horses with zero operational purpose and what the Red Arrows display team costs.

Apparently we need to reduce the operational capability or the Royal Marines Commandos because of a financial shortfall attributed to the introduction of an Aircraft Carrier (operating with less manpower than each of the three it replaces).....is it just me?

I was on the same Squadron as Mr Underwood!!!

The squadron carried out EW work for NATO partners and the pilots (RAF ones) all failed Fast Jet pilots (apart from the older chaps who were retained for their experience) were sent to Canberras to get some more experience, he was hardly ever there and when he was, 9 out of 10 times he found the aircraft U/S on crew in. He left and popped over to 100 Squadron another Fast Jet holding squadron.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You neglected to mention all the horses and bands.
Mentioned the horses, kinda get the bands thing - tri-service morale and we've got the best.

The RM Band Service conducted group force protection in Afghanistan, exactly in the same manner as the RAF Regiment in Afghanistan and UK. Similarly RMBS have a medical role capability which was used in Iraq & Afghanistan.

I could be wrong, happy to be corrected, but am not aware of any of their RAF or Army counterparts deploying in a comparable operational capacity. Hopefully someone will provide evidence to the contrary.

Longest I ever had of for sport was 3 months, most of the time it was a week or 2 at a time or show up the night before. But if you played Rugby, football hockey, squash , fenced or boxed, tennis as well loads of time for sport.
Most of the time the signal was signed by an admiral, so normally got off, ball ache was when selected for Olympic trials it wasn't backed by an admiral, they told me 4 days out across the pond, so I had a jolly and a ball, states, Rio, Africa