Army entry age raised

The reason given this morning was:

That way we get people with more sense.

Shirley if they had more sense they wouldn't join the army anyway?

I think 17 is a bit young for lads to be pushing their (still growing) bodies, but then i think it must be more difficult to 'convert' older people into army personnel. Depends how much it's going up by i suppose. One year won't make a lot of difference i don't think. But it would mean that they'd have to get jobs prior to joining up.

ET(WE)Sutton

Lantern Swinger
A spokeswoman for the MOD denied this was due to a crisis in recruitment.

so there telling us they dont just accept anyone at all. yeah okay.

onions

GCM
slim said:
Some of us seem to think that the lower age has been raised. This is not so. The army has raised the upper age limit to fall in line with other services. It would help if posters put a link in so that the facts can be checked.
For this one see

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6236345.stm

I posted elsewhere on RR about a Mum of three who has just completed initial training at Raleigh. She is 36. Apparently the upper age limlt for joining the RN is 37. So it seems a bit odd to me to read that the Army are coming into line with the RN and the crabs.

Keep Striving.

copenhagencup

Lantern Swinger
What next the return of the Naval brigade, formed from the ships companies of the mothballed 22`s and 42`s. What will happen to the Brickwoods competition when then the guns are removed and recommissioned.

danny

War Hero
onions said:
I posted elsewhere on RR about a Mum of three who has just completed initial training at Raleigh. She is 36. Apparently the upper age limlt for joining the RN is 37. So it seems a bit odd to me to read that the Army are coming into line with the RN and the crabs.

Keep Striving.

she was in drake or walker division when i was there i think.

2badge_mango

War Hero
On the three BBC broadcasts that I've heard, it said they were raising the army recruiting age to 33 (repeat 33), "to bring it into line with the Navy and RAF". The Royal Navy upper limit is 36, ie actually in before the 37th birthday, I don't know about the crabs. But then you can't trust much that the BBC broadcasts as news these days so I'll wait to have it confirmed by a sensible source.

2BM

2badge_mango

War Hero
Have just picked up my Navy News from my newsagent. Letter over the signature 7 Troop, L Company, 42 CDO RM., on op Herrick headed "Don't call us Sailors", from which I quote - "I think the RN is trying to cash in on the RM's success by including us" and "Sailors join the Navy, soldiers join the Army and Marines". - to which the editor replies, in part, "Last time we looked the Royal Marines were still part of the Royal Naval service with an Admiral at the top - and as we rather like them, we intend to keep writing about them"

Sensible comments please!!!

2BM

chieftiff

War Hero
2badge_mango said:
Have just picked up my Navy News from my newsagent. Letter over the signature 7 Troop, L Company, 42 CDO RM., on op Herrick headed "Don't call us Sailors", from which I quote - "I think the RN is trying to cash in on the RM's success by including us" and "Sailors join the Navy, soldiers join the Army and Marines". - to which the editor replies, in part, "Last time we looked the Royal Marines were still part of the Royal Naval service with an Admiral at the top - and as we rather like them, we intend to keep writing about them"

Sensible comments please!!!

2BM

I never thought that Royal would forget his heritage, they treat their History very very seriously and rightly so, they have a lot to be proud of. Is this the start of the RM distancing itself from a poor and incapable service with the hope of embedding itself into the home of a wealthier cousin?