Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride March

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Jun 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Do not fecking care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Sir Richard Dannatt, the Chief of the General Staff is said to be apoplectic over the idea that Soldiers will march in the Gay Pride Parade in uniform as serving RN personal did last year.

Uniforms

IMHO no person be they serving or ex-servicemen should be allowed to wear uniform at any parade/demonstration that has a political agenda be it for Gay Pride, BNP, CND, NSPCC. The rights or wrongs of the cause or its subject should not be the qualifying decision its either Yes they can to all or no the cannot. If you can wear full Naval Uniform at a Gay Pride March why not at a "Stop the City Parade" or at the Peace Camp outside of Faslane maybe even a BNP Demonstration in Leicester.

Nutty

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Unifor at Gay Pride March

And the decision should be binding across all 3 Services.

3. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

Used to be at one time no one in civvy street could wear combats or any type of uniform attire with the nations name on the shoulders, today they all get away with it... :rambo:

Only a few occasions you should be allowed to wear the Uniform and that's
    1) during work hours
    2) Rememberance Day (on parade or spectator)
    3) Funerals
    4) Weddings
    5) Family Photos.
    6) On runs ashore in a Foreign Country...(unnofficialy of course)

Just my 0.02 CDN

4. In my view, any off duty service personnel participating in a public non-service related event should be in plain clothes.

5. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

What he said :)

6. I agree with you there Nutty, but what is it about brownhatters?

For years they've banged on about equal rights and being treated the same as everyone else in society and now they go on these political marches to show that they are different. If they want to be treated as 'normal' they should just shut the **** up.

7. This topic got done to death last year, aren't we all bored of it by now?

8. Yeah well, its a bit like Bliar giving our country away mate, its been talked about but does that mean it doesn't get talked about some more?

9. ,

It's as if it's fashionable to be bent these days , there badge of honour to flaunt it . :frustrated: :puke:

10. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

I'm loving how dondon posted right after Lamri.... just look at the avatars.

What we need is for Lamri, dondon and stirling to post at the same time, mmmm :hump:

Totally agree with Naval Gazer. The Navy appears to be officially endorsing a political movement. Something wrong there.

11. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

Yeah theres something about a lovely female derriere mmmmmmmmmm :glomp:

12. Seems a bit absolutist. How about:

weddings
    graduations
    church services
    garden parties at the Palace
    etc.

13. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

Are those public events though hammockhead? (Church services are of course, I see that)

14. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

Forget the uniform, why do they have Gay pride parades?

We don't have a straight pride parade!

It's bloody not on -- do what you want behind closed doors and shut it!

15. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

There were hundreds of people at my graduation...

16. FFS whats wrong with passing out?[​IMG]

17. It's how you 'pass out' that matters (think about it!!!!)

18. Looks like we are setting ourselves up for another media mauling! Is it no wonder that the RN is becoming a national laughing stock when these sorts of decisions are made? Gay pride is a political demonstration and there is no way that the wearing of service uniform or official promotion of it is appropriate. It makes a mockery of those few occasions that uniform can be worn. How about an RN Pride march - it seems that we have little left to be proud about as a service what with the constant pressure from the media and the PC brigade.

19. Sad ferkers, we are more likely to get a media mauling caused by the media quoting retired RN poster's bigotted views.

I am just surprised this is getting any attention from the top brass with the Armed Forces current commitments.

20. Re: Army Chief Apoplectic over Wearing Uniform, Gay Pride Ma

Gay Pride is just that, not a political march.
    There will be people from all the uniformed services in the line up not just the military services.
    I saw a lot of uniformed military service people in one of the largest anti invasion of Iraq demonstrations; now that was political.
    ps Not in the UK is has to be said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.