Army Army Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by FunkyJunky, Jan 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. when will the army centric style of reporting about the forces stop?
    when the RN makes jobs cuts not a great deal is reported

but this morning, the latest round of cuts to the army is making the lead stories on various forms of Media

that goes with calling us all soldiers/squadies when talking about forces

always see more army at big national events
    you get the drift

Is this just me who see's it this way and fed up with it? or am I wrong?
  2. just the way it is, the media report more on the land conflicts then the Navy or Crabs, there has been more pongo related TV programmes of late than any other service, it does not reflect on the importance of the roles all armed forces do, just shows the ignorance of the reporting media, or the Pongos are trying to shout louder as to being hard done by, the media can be a powerful toy?
  3. Because 'journalists' are too lazy to investigate and use the correct terminology. It really grips my (CA so be careful!) poo when they talk about 'the Army' when generalising - 'the Army will help G4 police the Olymics' or 'the Army will be used in place of firemen' - it should be 'personnel from the Forces' will be used etc.

Maybe they are colour blind?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Army are three times the size of the Navy, so the job cuts will involve correspondingly higher numbers.

It's a bit like the likelihood of national news coverage when the local corner shop lays-off a couple of staff (50% of the workforce) and a national supermarket chain laying-off thousands of staff (5% of the workforce).

The Navy is barely self-sustaining and has long since dipped below critical mass thanks to the SDSR.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

And there are far too many sailors in you can't see me suits and berets kicking about, some in official photographs posing with a weapon. Unless you have a good reason, stop it.

On LinkedIn, rather than a neutral, in civvies photo, many RN types post 'me in CS95 with gun' photo. The Navy gets the profile it deserves..
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Grips my shit too! Unless your deployed to afghan or somewhere else you need to dodge bullets. On a pussers grey they look f**kin stupid

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  7. And posts them all over facebook and instagram for everyone to see. Even better when they hashtag what ship, where its headed and other exciting info!
  8. What about the 136 loggies working in bootneck units or the rest in 'tri-service'. Ok if in the field I can understand the need for a you can't see me uniform, but when on camp, why do I need to be sat in an office / storeroom in MTP? What's wrong with my 3's or 4's?
  9. I never understood why, on the last foreign jollies I went on, the armed upper deck trot had to wear combats while the normal upper deck trot wore pusser's rig. I can just imagine the terrorists asking themselves "which one is armed", "It must be the soldier, the other ones a sailor" "OK, we'll shoot the soldier first".
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Like I said, corner shop:

11. Could that be classed as life in a blue suit is better than being a target, unless you are a skimmer

Wrecks this your first draft
    The World's First Nuclear Submarine is 60 Years Old | Gizmodo UK
  12. Unlike your good self Sumo, I wasn't born when the Nautilus was launched :)
  13. But she was decommissioned in 1980, she joined 1973 she could quite easily have been your first draft, but you’re feeling old now, old man?
  14. You're as old as you feel, unfortunately she was younger than i thought so I'm before the beak in two weeks ;(
  15. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The army are losing 1,425 people. The RN are losing up to 10.

I do, however, take on board your point and understand it can be quite annoying from a RN perspective. But look at it this way, the SAS take credit for quite a few SBS missions. The shakyboats seem quite happy with that and crack on regardless.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. There's a reverse psychology to this as well. I remember the Options for Change rounds some time back where the media was full of news that Army units were shedding personnel, and then started reporting a dip in recruitment like they couldn't see a cause and effect.

While we all know that it is all to do with right people in right places and not overall headcount, a youngster intending to join up may not necessarily know this (especially if they are wanting to become infantry) and just assume that because the Army was downsizing there would be no point in their applying as they obviously have as many as they need!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

There is a big dip in recruiting figures & to my mind it's almost certainly due to two things:

1. The incorrectly assumed perception that redundancies = no recruitment
    2. ...this is the weird one: The announced withdrawal from Afghanistan.

The odd thing is that when many of us joined, moons ago (Royal included), we joined in the hope of world travel, qualifications, excitement & adventure. Oh, and beer (Burp). By contrast, the modern day recruit, in particular potential infantrymen (Royal included) want to see action. This is probably attributed to documentaries about Afghanistan and of course "Call of Doody...". Most now want to be a sniper and are gutted to learn they won't be: "picking-off Terry from 1000 metres with a .5 Cal". This probably accounts for the fact we don't get many questions asking how much/what types of beer and fags are available Duty Free on board or what SPF sun oil is recommended.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Anyway - back on thread. On this morning's BBC News they are talking about calling in 'the Military' to aid with those still affected by the floods.

Maybe someone at the BBC monitors RR?
    • Like Like x 1