Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Army abuse trial halted

My own experience is that Police were certainly used to give evidence at Captains Table in more serious matters that happened ashore but were being dealt with onboard. One such case at Portland resulted in the offender being dismissed the service. I've not been involved (as Plod) in onboard investigations and I would imagine that normally they would be dealt with within the service, I would say that if required Civil Police could be called on to investigate onboard stuff, but Military generally are reluctant to get them involved.
On a slightly different note, whilst at Weymouth it was my normal routine to hand service offenders over to the Shore Patrol, it saved on my manpower and offenders were still dealt with, a different Senior Officer took over the area and criticised my actions, I was told that the practise would cease. I left it for a couple of months then showed him the returns from the Provost showing how the offenders we'd previously handed over had been dealt with. Nothing was said but a couple of weeks later a memo came forth saying that where appropriate Service Offenders would be handed over to the Shore Patrol. At the time Drunk and Disorderly attracted a £5 fine from the Magistrates, Pussers going rate was around £20. My way meant manpower not being tied up, cells being kept free and all round less hassle.
One of us left school at 16, the other had been to University.

Latest Threads