Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Armed Forces (Recruitment & Retention) Debate on 20.3.07

Seems to me we are not doing to bad in the RN, but the booties are really struggling. Hence the retention bonus for them in the recent pay rise siggie. :cool:

I really liked this bit ...
(Derek Twigg PUS Defence) Last October, we announced a new operational allowance, which is a tax-free bonus of £2,240 for six months’ deployment paid to service personnel serving in specified operational locations. The allowance is accumulated at a daily rate of £12.31 by all regulars, mobilised reserves and those on full-time reserve service for each day that they serve in those locations. It is paid as a lump sum at the end of the tour, giving a welcome and tangible reward for operational service.

Mr. Lancaster: On the basis that I have not been paid my operational bonus from six months ago, will the Minister confirm that soldiers have been paid the allowance?

Derek Twigg: I can give that confirmation, unless the hon. Gentleman knows of someone who has not been paid it.

Mr. Lancaster: Me.

There's nothing like having someone who knows what they're talking about to piss on your bonfire ...

John Smith (Vale of Glamorgan) (Lab): I am very interested in the report to which the hon. Gentleman has referred, which points out that there is a shortage of approximately 5,000 troops. Is he aware that if the recruitment policy of the Army, Navy and Air Force were colour blind—that is, if they were recruiting a similar proportion of the ethnic minority population as exists in the community at large—they would recruit an additional 10,000 personnel? Indeed, if we were recruiting ethnic minorities at the same levels as the United States army, navy and air force, we would have almost 20,000 additional recruits and no problem with recruitment or retention.
What a load of PC bollocks, if you run the forces down as much as his party has then it doesnt matter what the colour of the skin/creed/sexual orientation, people wont join. When will these cretins wake up and smell the coffee they have castrated the british armed forces.

RabC said:
John Smith (Vale of Glamorgan) (Lab): I am very interested in the report to which the hon. Gentleman has referred, which points out that there is a shortage of approximately 5,000 troops. Is he aware that if the recruitment policy of the Army, Navy and Air Force were colour blind—that is, if they were recruiting a similar proportion of the ethnic minority population as exists in the community at large—they would recruit an additional 10,000 personnel? Indeed, if we were recruiting ethnic minorities at the same levels as the United States army, navy and air force, we would have almost 20,000 additional recruits and no problem with recruitment or retention.
What a load of PC bollocks, if you run the forces down as much as his party has then it doesnt matter what the colour of the skin/creed/sexual orientation, people wont join. When will these cretins wake up and smell the coffee they have castrated the british armed forces.

Whilst I would concur that the point raised her was raised almost certainly for the wrong reasons it is interesting that it would appear that the US military are percieved by minorities in the US as more suitable employer than the same minoroties in the UK percieve the UK military. In the US the military is seen as a route out of poverty whilst it is not seen as a route any where in the UK something that does need to be changed.

Latest Threads