Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armed Forces Pay Review Body 43rd Report - 2014

danny

War Hero
So are you going to take the big jump??? trust me there's fcuk all out here, and the pension after 22 plus your salary will make you the envy of all the civvie bastards who will get nothing like yours even at 66 or 67. And Civvies make shit mates.

Oh yes Im just about to take the big jump. Just waiting until the time is right for ME and get as much from the bastards as I can on the way out. The pension at my 22 is nothing like you got back in the day. Still nothing to turn your nose up at but also not enough to make me or a lot of people stay.
You might have had a cracking time I know I have had some class times that I would do all over again, but I'm not doing this for another 10 years.
I also didn't join at 16 so I do know what its like having a real job.
Some people might not get a job outside but I really struggle to think of many friends who have left and are not on around the same amount of money they were.

Don't forget free health care, no tripping over drug and alcohol addicts in A&E,(after a 6 hour wait) free dentistry and most of the staff speak the same language as you!!

Or you need an operation get drafted around the country and get bumped down to the bottom of the waiting list every time. Also my mrs isn't white or even British so random bollocks about NHS staff not speaking English is unlikely to bother me.

Danny
Please don't think I never thought the same way as you do now there were many times when I was really pissed off and in fact had my notice in twice but took a look at myself and what I wanted and what was best for my family. I'm an old man now and probably experienced a different way of life than you are dealing with at the moment. I once had to clear the Part 3 trainees block at what was then Dryad for the boss to explain to them why after the pay rise they were actually worse off due to food and accom charges etc. I went through three separate pension schemes in my time but each one was worse than the other and realistically in the current financial climate it never is going to be the same.
I'm not some out of touch piss and talcum powder smelling old fcuker (well not yet). Things in all walks of life go through cycles and clearly some people at different times in their lives feel they need to move on. My opinions were not aimed to piss anyone off but based on my experiences both in the pusser and civilian life I can't help but try and pass on my experience.
When you decide your course of action as I believe you already have, small negative things tend to increase the nausea they cause you as an individual. I have many civilian friends, but none share the same sense of humour, no the same loyalty as my service friends.
My daughter is currently serving and she also has had times where she's thought about leaving especially as a Wafu on a Harrier Squadron when they decided to scrap them. But after bad times inevitably good times arrive circle of life or whatever.
Sometimes the things you wish for are not quite the same when they arrive.
On TV last night down here in the South West it was stated that no-one should expect a pay rise for at least another year and on average pay has been frozen for the last 5 years - mine has!!
No doubt your reaction will be fcuk off you silly old fart mine would probably have been the same at your age but we didn't have mobile phones or the internet so ROMFTing was much more insular.

Bob10

From the lads I know who have went outside recently most have no regrets. To be fair most of them are working offshore so they are earning more than they were in the navy. From my experience after 14 years in there positives and negatives to leaving. A few things don't come close to the navy though, mainly the banter, team spirit and camaraderie. Not that I work with a bunch of twats but its just not the same, not even close.

SEP86

War Hero
Well at least that means my pension will be that little bit bigger come July the 18th! Not that I'm counting the days :) Just a pity I don't think I'll get any more chances for the new top rate of LSA between now and then.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
From the lads I know who have went outside recently most have no regrets. To be fair most of them are working offshore so they are earning more than they were in the navy. From my experience after 14 years in there positives and negatives to leaving. A few things don't come close to the navy though, mainly the banter, team spirit and camaraderie. Not that I work with a bunch of twats but its just not the same, not even close.

Too be fair I could be earning much more if I went offshore but I did that for all my Naval career, the bonus for me being a civvy now is home every night, every weekend off, no duties, no pier head jumps, the ability to plan a holiday up to a year ahead and a nice indexed linked pension to bolster my civvy wages :)

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Too be fair I could be earning much more if I went offshore but I did that for all my Naval career, the bonus for me being a civvy now is home every night, every weekend off, no duties, no pier head jumps, the ability to plan a holiday up to a year ahead and a nice indexed linked pension to bolster my civvy wages :)

and people like me are about to brighten up your day even more :)

danny

War Hero
Danny
Please don't think I never thought the same way as you do now there were many times when I was really pissed off and in fact had my notice in twice but took a look at myself and what I wanted and what was best for my family. I'm an old man now and probably experienced a different way of life than you are dealing with at the moment. I once had to clear the Part 3 trainees block at what was then Dryad for the boss to explain to them why after the pay rise they were actually worse off due to food and accom charges etc. I went through three separate pension schemes in my time but each one was worse than the other and realistically in the current financial climate it never is going to be the same.
I'm not some out of touch piss and talcum powder smelling old fcuker (well not yet). Things in all walks of life go through cycles and clearly some people at different times in their lives feel they need to move on. My opinions were not aimed to piss anyone off but based on my experiences both in the pusser and civilian life I can't help but try and pass on my experience.
When you decide your course of action as I believe you already have, small negative things tend to increase the nausea they cause you as an individual. I have many civilian friends, but none share the same sense of humour, no the same loyalty as my service friends.
My daughter is currently serving and she also has had times where she's thought about leaving especially as a Wafu on a Harrier Squadron when they decided to scrap them. But after bad times inevitably good times arrive circle of life or whatever.
Sometimes the things you wish for are not quite the same when they arrive.
On TV last night down here in the South West it was stated that no-one should expect a pay rise for at least another year and on average pay has been frozen for the last 5 years - mine has!!
No doubt your reaction will be fcuk off you silly old fart mine would probably have been the same at your age but we didn't have mobile phones or the internet so ROMFTing was much more insular.

I do understand what your saying and on paper it is madness to turn it down. But I just do not think the perks are what they were even 8 years ago when I joined. The phrase 'cost of everything but value of nothing' is very apt.

I wish the navy was more like what everyone says it was say 20 or 30 years ago. I would take a fairly large pay cut if it was actually fun. I didn't get promoted for longer than most people I joined up with because I was doing a very different job that I enjoyed and took the hit.
But boats are now DRY and it just seems the fun police are constantly on the march upwards. If its not a lifestyle and just a job I want a job somewhere I can tell my boss to go **** himself and walk out.

Danny
20 or 30 years ago I look back with tinted spectacles and think those were the days, yes it was fun deploying without women onboard, piss, shit, fcuk look at the tits on that, free Blue Liners or tinned Backy to smoke yourself to death, free warrants, foreign drafts for everyone not just shiney arse Writers. But I suppose like does move on, in the early 70s when I joined at the tender age of 15 very few servicemen owned their own houses, it was impossible to get credit to buy furniture etc servicemen were bad risk and very poorly paid £7 a fortnight at Ganges. Joined my first ship at 16 and got kicked to fcuk if I ever gobbed off, bulying was rife if for any reason you didn't fit in your life was a fcuking misery. Slowly but surely things began to improve, but so did the economy and every downturn affected the life of service men and women just like today. My generation certainly had the best of these times, but come 1982 when we almost got our arses kicked down South things started to change and they had to, focus drew away from jollies to serious warfare exercises and the fun started to decline.
The world has changed beyond recognition more so since the increase in terrorism no on the piss all night then getting up after 2 hours kip to go on duty, 9/11 and the rest of recent events has taken so much fun out of service life, coupled with the economic downturn life probably is pretty shit but its history repeating itself I suppose. Imagine how some guys felt when pay banding was introduced and the WO Chef on Ark who dished out the sausages was on higher band and myself as a WO1 Gooner who dished out the missiles and bullets was on the lower band. I think back to my last sea draft on Ark Royal free laundry, newspapers on a regular basis even in the middle of Telic in 2003, free phone calls home and emails from my office onboard straight home so my wife and daughter knew I was ok. Better seagoing allowances, I could keep on going but probably boring the tits off everbone.
Now I'm in semi retirement I'm able to reflect a little better, this thread has helped it really wasn't that good but it was fun because I was young and I suppose it will always be a young mans occupation - being pension trapped is a real bastard if your'e not enjoying it.
Whatever you think your mates are earning trust me they will not have a better pension than you without having to contribute a lot of money towards it themselves and that includes coppers firemen, teachers and civil serpents.
Hope you make the right decisions and you do have a choice. Ask the wife if she's happy and take it from there. My wife always said she was happy mind you she was banging a big black man everytime I deployed!!!

wrecker2

Banned
I did 32 years and had to retire at age 55. Had no intention of getting a job in civvy street. Had saved enough to face FULL RETIREMENT. Went straight on to indexed pension. All i did was to slightly alter my lifestyle. Have now been retired for 18 years.
Have to admit that mates in the RN were proper mates. Civvies dont have the same sort of friendship somehow.
Had i been allowed i would have stopped in till i was 60. I had a few jobs before joining up ... but none matched the Pusser.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body - Forty-Ninth Report - July 2020 The Fleet 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body - 49th Report - 2020 Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS Armed Forces personnel to receive 2% pay rise MoD News 0
vauxhall Armed Forces Pay Rise Confirmed as 2.9% Finance & Pensions 2
vauxhall Armed Forces Pay Award 2018 Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: The armed forces pay tribute to those who fought at the Battle of Amiens a century ago MoD News 0
vauxhall Armed Forces Pay Award Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Armed Forces' Pay Review Body Appointments MoD News 0
vauxhall House of Commons debate on Armed Forces Pay Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces pay tribute to The Queen at 90th Birthday Thanksgiving Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces pay tribute on 25th anniversary of Gulf conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces to pay tribute on 25th anniversary of First Gulf War MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: A new pay model for the Armed Forces MoD News 0
Popcorn Armed Forces Pay Review. MoD News 12
MoD_RSS News story: Chairman of the Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body re-appointed MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body Report 2013 Published Current Affairs 10
Chaz Armed Forces Pay Review Body Report 2012 UPO 9
soleil Armed Forces' Pay Review Body 40th Report 2010/2011 Released UPO 3
finknottle Armed Forces Pay Inequality Current Affairs 58
T Armed Forces Pay - NEW Early Day Motion Current Affairs 0
D Armed forces pay review 2009? The Fleet 1
NotmeChief The Great Armed Forces pay rip-off Current Affairs 3
chieftiff Gordon Brown braced for fight over Armed Forces Pay. Current Affairs 31
MoD_RSS British Armed Forces Minister arrives in Cairo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish bred at Environment Agency’s fish farm used for rehabilitation of armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Nesscliff kitchen and dining facility improves experience for armed forces MoD News 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS Call for armed forces community to contribute to the Frontline Project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC achieves silver award in supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 127 new employers awarded for supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for the Armed Forces James Heappey MP: The Ministry of Defence Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead tributes to Dame Vera Lynn at her funeral MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Free ‘wraparound’ childcare for the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary Alistair Jack marks 2020 Armed Forces Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces announce launch of first Cyber Regiment in major modernisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary commends Armed Forces’ contribution to the fight against coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding to support armed forces charities doing vital work during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces Maintaining Critical Defence Activities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary praises UK's Armed Forces' support in Wales' fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's Armed Forces efforts recognised by Scottish Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces protected from vexatious claims in important step MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gaming technology trialled in training UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
soleil FB: SSAFA, The Armed Forces Charity - With Love From RNAS Yeovilton The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS Armed Forces heroes celebrated at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
soleil ITV News: "Armed Forces Tattoos Photography Exhibition Opens In London" History 25
MoD_RSS Armed Forces Covenant Report shows support for military community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New pledges for the Armed Forces announced in Queen's Speech MoD News 0