Armed Forces Pay Inequality

Ninja_Stoker said:
Problem with printing reams of hard-copy careers publications which involve "lifed" pay scales, is we end up with lots of expensive, glossy hamster bedding every 12 months, hence the official web site's extremely helpful pages for Ratings, which cover just that. For some reason no-one seems to have considered Officers as comprehensively - possibly because the (mistaken) assumption is they can send the butler to the AFCO to enquire. Either that or possibly because Officer info in general is poor due to the appallingly lazy service excuse/riposte that: "Potential Officers should be able to find that out for themselves. Now, where's my golf clubs Carruthers?"

With regard Officers Pay, the service already giving (throwing?) £29K per annum to those that join as an Officer with a completely unrelated & unnecessary degree, as compared to £13,600 for ratings. In my tattered arithmetic book, a flat-rate percentage pay rise of 29K is fractionally more than that of the same percentage of 13.6K. Those that join with a degree vaguely relevant, 'vocational' if we're being posh (Engineers for example) get a £12K golden "ay up chuck", Pardre's more still & Doctors (as angrydoc will doubtless confirm), Gazillions.
Yet saying "I don't come from the typical officer background" referring to the stereotype of officers coming from upper class backgrounds is frowned upon in my experience, tends to get a rather annoyed reply of "there is no such thing as typical officer background, whatever gave you that sort of idea?"

Odd that they don't give the figures for officers as the figures (accomodation charges, food etc) are known, so why they aren't put online (even on the IOT pages for BRNC)...who knows.

I get your point about unrelated degrees, only reason I can see for the extra would be the assumption of a greater proven level of intellectual capability and potential worldliness. Frankly I'm happy to be in the RN, I think the salary offered is fair for the job. Though if I was religious, I would be tempted to become a chaplain and not just for the salary, job itself looks interesting, not religious though and the RN has no humanist chaplains so that path is ruled out.

StixJimboRM said:
Trigger_92 said:
...Money has never entered into my reasons for joining up and wanting to serve. As jimbo mentioned, I was refering to Cleggs comments in the run up to the GE. It would have been nice, but then again. As naval gazer pointed out, I would much rather have the chances for the likes of adventure sports etc.

However, I believe this is the start of it already. The Tories getting what they want, The lib dems backing off and letting the tories get what they want. Its ashame really, after all they are supposed to be equall, obviously it didnt mean that much to clegg after all :roll:
Just as I thought. :wink:

The silence is deafening :roll:

In reverse order:

Pardon me for either
a. having a life, or
b. Not being able to access the internet due to work-related activities
(delete as appropriate)

Any fool (including me) could see that Trigger was referring to Clegg's pre-election promise. As I have already been at pains to point out, Clegg did not start this debate, and anything that was said on the matter beforehand is not invalidated by virtue of what he has said. Therefore, it is right to take into account what the AFPRB have to say on the matter, and I don't think that they will change their tune just because some politician has made such an empty promise (particularly when you take into account what Osborne has said of the LibDem's spending plans).

NG has hit the nail squarely on the head in this regard, in that he has seen what the likely outcome of a fulfilment of this pledge would bring, ie all the extras that the AFPRB have quoted as being factored into their equations would be at risk.

My apologies to everyone except StixJimbo, for dragging on such an interminably dull point, but I feel I have to reply. (You, on the other hand, do not have to read my reply.)

StixJimboRM said:
finknottle said:
Joe_Crow said:
This matter was addressed by the AFPRB in their latest report.
I see nothing there to rectify this shocking disparity.
I think Trigger was referring to the statements made by Nick Clegg in the run up to the G.E., Ref. the disparity of starting pay for Police and HM Forces and the Lib Dems redressing the gap. This is not covered in the AFPRB report (as it was published before the G.E. was announced)
Jimbo, I have quoted you in full above. You wrote "This" i.e. the disparity of starting pay for Police and HM Forces, "is not covered in the AFPRB report..."

I acknowledge that the AFPRB report was published before Clegg spoke on the matter, (and I never said at any point that this was not the case) but the simple truth is that the AFPRB specifically addressed the issue of the disparity of starting pay for Police and HM Forces, as I had alluded to in my previous post, and as I demonstrated by giving the details of where in the report these comments could be found.

Your points 1 and 2 in your most recent post are semantics, and it seems you are trying to ignore the fact that
I said "This matter was addressed by the AFPRB in their latest report."
Then you said ".... This is not covered in the AFPRB report..."
Then I demonstrated that it was.

Once you have taken your foot out of your mouth, you may find that the killick of an S boat stokers mess has your shoes.

broadside said:
J_C I was married to someone who always had to have the last word once - she was a pedantic pain in the arse as well.
You saw what happened when I didn't reply to Jimbo.

StixJimboRM said:
Trigger_92 said:
...Money has never entered into my reasons for joining up and wanting to serve. As jimbo mentioned, I was refering to Cleggs comments in the run up to the GE. It would have been nice, but then again. As naval gazer pointed out, I would much rather have the chances for the likes of adventure sports etc.

However, I believe this is the start of it already. The Tories getting what they want, The lib dems backing off and letting the tories get what they want. Its ashame really, after all they are supposed to be equall, obviously it didnt mean that much to clegg after all
:roll:
Just as I thought. :wink:

The silence is deafening :roll:
So quite clearly, he expected a response at that time. However, he then has the audacity to say;

StixJimbo" said:
...I'm bored with going over and over this now, you carry on if you wish but as you will clearly not admit to your mistake in 'correcting' me I really can't be bothered....
As if he is the one correcting me.

In all this, he has only been right about two things.
1. That Trigger was referring to Cleggs pre-election promise.
2. That the AFPRB report pre-dated that promise.

I have never denied either of those things, (If anyone can demonstrate where I have, please show me)

What Jimbo seems to be avoiding is his contradiction of my statement that the AFPRB had addressed the matter in their latest report. My statement, his statement, and the report are all quite clear in black and white.

I recall that the traditional method used to be impregnation, but artificial insemination also brings about the same result.

Both methods only have a nine month shelf life, but Jo-Jo is deemed to be a dab hand at a Laparoscopy.

Toucan said:
Joe_Crow said:
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp said:
I recall that the traditional method used to be impregnation...
If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that this cnut can go and get fcuked?
Suspect there's some call-sign confusion here.
Let me try and clear the confusion up.

Trig suggested I was on the blob. I took this to mean that he thought I had a fanny that was dripping. It shouldn't be too hard to work out who the bleeding cnut that I am trying to stop from discharging their bloody effluent is.

Joe_Crow said:
Toucan said:
Joe_Crow said:
If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that this cnut can go and get fcuked?

Trig suggested I was on the blob. I took this to mean that he thought I had a fanny that was dripping. It shouldn't be too hard to work out who the bleeding cnut that I am trying to stop from discharging their bloody effluent is.
So Gene Hunt was actually dead then?

Toucan

Lantern Swinger
Joe_Crow said:
Toucan said:
Joe_Crow said:

I didn't say I was confused.

Latest Threads