Armed Forces on Olympics standby.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by bollotom, Jul 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC.

The UK's armed forces are on standby to provide an additional 3,500 troops to help with security at the 2012 London Olympics, the BBC has learned.
    It comes amid fears that private contractor G4S would not be able to provide enough trained staff in time.
    The armed forces were already providing some 13,500 personnel - this could now reach 17,000, meaning summer leave for some troops will likely be cancelled.
    G4S said it had "some issues in relation to workforce supply".
    G4S is being paid £300m to guard the Games, but the BBC understands it has not been able to guarantee it can supply the 10,000 guards it has been contracted to deliver.

Well, no-one is going to run a security operation fpr a few weeks for £300Million. FFS, who hands out these contracts.

2. A really good "we'll ram the bat up your arse" for all those who who will loose their summer leave and, redundancy notices in hand will stand by some G4 security staff on triple their wages. What a bloody fiasco!

3. Typical private sector security bidding knowing they didn't have the trained resources to hand.

Still, you can always count of good ole Jack, Percy and the Brilcream Brigade to bale em out.

4. Allegedly G4S are already treating the military VSF like sh1t. Not allowing them in living / recreation areas. Heard that there are squaddies bivvying up and eating rat packs in some venues.

5. I have been retired for 11 days now. Glad to be freed from being treated as a free good, bailing out the incompetent private sector. We really are value for money! However, time to learn from the Crabs - the word "No" is part of the vocabulary.

• Like Like x 2
  6. No, such a nice word. Since leaving I do like using that word.

Boss; 'Your working this weekend.'

Me; 'No'

I love it!

7. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No need to worry, the Olympics have been rained off, come back next year.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. All this rain is designed to keep the opening ceremony "green Britain" display nice 'n' fresh and save on the artificial rain they've spent a fortune arranging.

9. This isn't just any rain... This is M&S rain, drizzled with nitrates and enriched with the finest sulfates.

10. Except for submariners who are on duty down there, they will be billeted at the Ritz.

11. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

'Fraid not - the Crabs have the Ritz and other 5* hotels block booked!

12. According to the TV news this morning, troops are going to be accommodated in school halls, aircraft hangars etc.

I wonder where where the G4S personnel were going to stay? (Unless they were being recruited locally).

13. wal

wal Badgeman

g 4 s = :angry5::angry5::angry5::angry5::angry5:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  14. Stuff being accommodated in an aircraft hangar. There'll be a hell of a draught if some one leaves the front door open!

15. It's becoming increasingly clear that the BBC comedy "2012" is not a spoof but is in fact a hard-hitting documentary.

16. Good to see that the good Baron Condon is on the board of G4S,he did a marvellous job as head of the Met.

17. People seem transfixed with the Olympics but the Paralympics don't finish until 9 Sep and I assume the same security arrangements will apply for them. That's a long time to wait for summer leave but at least the weather might have improved by then.

:toothy2:

18. [h=6]Dear Serving Soldier,
    I appreciate that you may be a bit busy at the moment, but just before I give you the sack would you mind awfully helping out at a small sporting event we are holding in London this month. You see I have just spent £475,000,000 on a private firm to do the security but they trousered the money and cannot commit. I have managed to wangle an old warehouse for your accommodation & some rat packs for food, but you should be used to that by now.(Gotta keep the cost down L.O.L). Many thanks David Cameron. P.S. Your my favourites
    [/h][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. What's the snag or uproar? It's a national event and what we do. People will get their leave back. If you wanted to be treated better you should have tried harder at school.

We need to stop dripping and get on with stuff, we're a disposable asset for the use of whatever, accept it.

We're so ******* precious sometimes and it makes us look like self aggrandising whiny children.

Not only that, most of the Olympic duties are being carried out by hardly overworked reservists.

Man up.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Fortunately the RN had the foresight to park a floating dormitory in the vicinity so hopefully the RN/RM/RNR/RMR lot going won't have to suffer too unduly.