Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armed Forces on Olympics standby.

bollotom

War Hero
From the BBC.

The UK's armed forces are on standby to provide an additional 3,500 troops to help with security at the 2012 London Olympics, the BBC has learned.
It comes amid fears that private contractor G4S would not be able to provide enough trained staff in time.
The armed forces were already providing some 13,500 personnel - this could now reach 17,000, meaning summer leave for some troops will likely be cancelled.
G4S said it had "some issues in relation to workforce supply".
G4S is being paid £300m to guard the Games, but the BBC understands it has not been able to guarantee it can supply the 10,000 guards it has been contracted to deliver.

Well, no-one is going to run a security operation fpr a few weeks for £300Million. FFS, who hands out these contracts.

trelawney126

War Hero
A really good "we'll ram the bat up your arse" for all those who who will loose their summer leave and, redundancy notices in hand will stand by some G4 security staff on triple their wages. What a bloody fiasco!

Waspie

War Hero
Typical private sector security bidding knowing they didn't have the trained resources to hand.

Still, you can always count of good ole Jack, Percy and the Brilcream Brigade to bale em out.

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
Allegedly G4S are already treating the military VSF like sh1t. Not allowing them in living / recreation areas. Heard that there are squaddies bivvying up and eating rat packs in some venues.

Tribalclass

Midshipman
I have been retired for 11 days now. Glad to be freed from being treated as a free good, bailing out the incompetent private sector. We really are value for money! However, time to learn from the Crabs - the word "No" is part of the vocabulary.

Waspie

War Hero
No, such a nice word. Since leaving I do like using that word.

Boss; 'Your working this weekend.'

Me; 'No'

I love it!

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
No need to worry, the Olympics have been rained off, come back next year.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
All this rain is designed to keep the opening ceremony "green Britain" display nice 'n' fresh and save on the artificial rain they've spent a fortune arranging.

finknottle

Banned
Allegedly G4S are already treating the military VSF like sh1t. Not allowing them in living / recreation areas. Heard that there are squaddies bivvying up and eating rat packs in some venues.

Except for submariners who are on duty down there, they will be billeted at the Ritz.

Ballistic

War Hero
According to the TV news this morning, troops are going to be accommodated in school halls, aircraft hangars etc.

I wonder where where the G4S personnel were going to stay? (Unless they were being recruited locally).

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Stuff being accommodated in an aircraft hangar. There'll be a hell of a draught if some one leaves the front door open!

Ballistic

War Hero
It's becoming increasingly clear that the BBC comedy "2012" is not a spoof but is in fact a hard-hitting documentary.

People seem transfixed with the Olympics but the Paralympics don't finish until 9 Sep and I assume the same security arrangements will apply for them. That's a long time to wait for summer leave but at least the weather might have improved by then.

:toothy2:

Spidiver

War Hero
[h=6]Dear Serving Soldier,
I appreciate that you may be a bit busy at the moment, but just before I give you the sack would you mind awfully helping out at a small sporting event we are holding in London this month. You see I have just spent £475,000,000 on a private firm to do the security but they trousered the money and cannot commit. I have managed to wangle an old warehouse for your accommodation & some rat packs for food, but you should be used to that by now.(Gotta keep the cost down L.O.L). Many thanks David Cameron. P.S. Your my favourites
[/h]

G

guestm

What's the snag or uproar? It's a national event and what we do. People will get their leave back. If you wanted to be treated better you should have tried harder at school.

We need to stop dripping and get on with stuff, we're a disposable asset for the use of whatever, accept it.

We're so ******* precious sometimes and it makes us look like self aggrandising whiny children.

Not only that, most of the Olympic duties are being carried out by hardly overworked reservists.

Man up.

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
Fortunately the RN had the foresight to park a floating dormitory in the vicinity so hopefully the RN/RM/RNR/RMR lot going won't have to suffer too unduly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS British Armed Forces Minister arrives in Cairo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish bred at Environment Agency’s fish farm used for rehabilitation of armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Nesscliff kitchen and dining facility improves experience for armed forces MoD News 0
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS Call for armed forces community to contribute to the Frontline Project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC achieves silver award in supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body - Forty-Ninth Report - July 2020 The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS 127 new employers awarded for supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body - 49th Report - 2020 Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS Armed Forces personnel to receive 2% pay rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for the Armed Forces James Heappey MP: The Ministry of Defence Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead tributes to Dame Vera Lynn at her funeral MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Free ‘wraparound’ childcare for the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary Alistair Jack marks 2020 Armed Forces Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces announce launch of first Cyber Regiment in major modernisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary commends Armed Forces’ contribution to the fight against coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding to support armed forces charities doing vital work during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces Maintaining Critical Defence Activities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary praises UK's Armed Forces' support in Wales' fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's Armed Forces efforts recognised by Scottish Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces protected from vexatious claims in important step MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gaming technology trialled in training UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
soleil FB: SSAFA, The Armed Forces Charity - With Love From RNAS Yeovilton The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS Armed Forces heroes celebrated at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
soleil ITV News: "Armed Forces Tattoos Photography Exhibition Opens In London" History 25
MoD_RSS Armed Forces Covenant Report shows support for military community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New pledges for the Armed Forces announced in Queen's Speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead nation in Cenotaph service on Remembrance Sunday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Production starts on world-leading respirators for UK armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Office for Veterans’ Affairs will ensure the UK leads the world in care for Armed Forces Veterans MoD News 0
vauxhall Public Consultation on Legal Protection for Armed Forces Personnel Serving Abroad on Operations The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS PM praises role of UK's Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits West Africa and extends language training to Senegalese Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Minister for Armed Forces Rt. Hon Mark Lancaster visits Ghana MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed forces personnel complete Hajj MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100 employers awarded for supporting the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces mark 50 years since the start of operations in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
vauxhall Armed Forces Pay Rise Confirmed as 2.9% Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS Public consultation on new laws launches to protect armed forces from historical allegations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed forces champion for London announced as updated Veterans’ housing report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New measures announced to stamp out inappropriate behaviour in the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary joins armed forces personnel for London Pride MoD News 1
vauxhall Happy Armed Forces Day! Finance & Pensions 4
MoD_RSS News story: North Wales Employers’ Pledge Support to UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for the Armed Forces visits Washington ahead of Presidential State Visit MoD News 0
vauxhall Flexible Service - How does it affect your Armed Forces Pension? Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces Minister meets 1,000 UK personnel based in Estonia on NATO mission MoD News 0