Armed Forces Muslim conference

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Karma, Jul 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At Amport house, reported on the BBC

A country house in Hampshire was the rarefied setting for the second conference hosting Muslims serving in Britain's armed forces.

Those who gathered at Amport House - the home to military chaplains from all faiths - came for a mix of practical advice and spiritual support, talking of how the military had done much to accommodate them but arguing that there was more to be done, including in the field of recruitment.

2. No thanks.

3. Why?
    Have you had a bad experience of serving with someone from the Muslim community?
    During my service I worked and was good mates with a guy name of Abdul Hirji, Abi to his mates. Perhaps there are more than a few RR members who knew Abi. He became one of my bezzie oppo's and I never came across anyone who had a bad word for him. If you read this Abi, get in touch as your presence is needed at the next HMS Manchester reunion. :thumright:

4. So when will the first annual conference hosting Jedi Knights serving in the armed forces take place?

Or aethiests..?

All it seems to be is gay-this and muslim-that. Everyone joins together, goes through the same courses and comes out at the end. The more they harp on about how different everyone is, the more people start to look at others differently.

5. Presumably when there are enough, and recognised Jedi clerics ;)

fwiw there are Chaplains for various flavours of Xianity (RC, CofE, Methodist, CofS), Judaism, Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism and Buddhism, each of which have their own conferences. This appears to be the only one that makes the BBC.

6. I'm fairly certain that Amport house would be made available if sufficient Jedi Knights band together and apply for a course. As atheists in this day and age if they were to be offered a spiritual guidance course you can bet your bottom dollar that law suits would follow, claims for insulting their feelings comes to mind. :w00t:

7. I'm arranging the next Caucasian (Or Ethnic) Male (Or Female) With Religious Denomination (Atheists Welcome), Disability And Sexual Orientation Not Important As Long As You Like A Beer And A Curry Conference. The abbreviation is a bit of a gobful though:

COEMOFWRDAWDASONIALAYLABAACC

Any takers?

8. Thanks. I've passed the information on to the BHA.

9. Somewhat reminiscent of;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/sep/07/daydreambelievers

10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm in, but it depends on the curry and beer, is it Chinese or Indian, Kingfisher or Tiger?

11. Also had the pleasure of working with Abi in the early 90's. Worked at a joint RN/RAF unit at RAF Wyton. What a top bloke. Lost touch with him but did see him on TV not long ago. Something to do with Cambs Fire Service.

"Slim have PM'd some info to you"

12. Divide and Conquer?????

Left-Hand wheelspanner operators next

13. Only if they're bronze :thumright:

14. What if your ambidextrous?

15. Then change hands at '99'

16. I can't see the big deal. The Naval Christian Fellowship and other Armed Forces religious groups have been meeting at Amport House for years (link). There are even get-togethers advertised for 'Ancient Mariners'. Any takers from here?

17. Is that the spanners or the Stokers? ;)

You get one for each limb.... 5 in all! :lol:

18. I cannot believe it, they appear to be non-judgmental! That's only the third Christian website I've encountered to be so. The others are not fellowships but sources of information and debate: Ekklesia and Religious Tolerance.org

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/

http://www.religioustolerance.org/