Armed Forces Morale on the Slide

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Aug 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Should anyone be surprised at the survey results, I think not.

2. Only three types of people fill these questionnaires out. Those that drip like **** all the time and see this as another outlet to go on a blubathon about how terrible their job is, those who have their chit in and want another moan and those in training establishments who are told to.

Everyone else just puts it in the bin so you'll never ever get a true reflection. I've seen no noticeable drop or increase in morale in the last decade at all. Seems to me that morale is the same as it's ever been, it's 'ok'.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Could be, when a car survey is done, you dont see BMW or Jag owners results 'cos they chuck the form in the bin, crappy cars come top 'cos their owners try to justify their purchase

4. Thats lucky, if moral had increased everyone would have to scrub out for rounds.

• Like Like x 3
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Captains rounds for everyone, that's a morale booster. I was told it was whilst scrubbing some hard to access never seen the light of day impossible to see bit of staircase on HMS Fearless one day by a giggling PO, so, it's got to be true. If that fails just tell them they shouldn't have joined if they cant take a joke, some giggling CSM told me that so it's gospel.

6. so which slide are they on this time big or small

7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry Monty, I have to disagree, I've always made a point of filling in these surveys, and making sure that my staff do so to ensure that as accurate a representation as possible is gathered. Yes there are lots of people who fit in with your categories who complete these surveys, but as I've always told my lads, how can they ever have any drips if they don't take the opportunity to put their views across? I would suggest that perhaps as much as a third, maybe even half of the people included in the results do not fall into your categories. Just to be clear, I love the RN (yes it has some faults, but what employer doesn't) and have no axe to grind or any hidden agenda in getting people to complete the surveys.

8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

We used to have a sign that said "Beatings will continue until morale improves". Squaddies always shimf anyway but morale is always ok i've found. Except in the RAF, especially when they found out they were no longer going to be issued with Tempur mattresses and the Sky TV in their room was on the blink (the last one is true by the way).

9. Fair enough fella, I personally know very few who fill them in unless they do indeed have an axe to grind. I still don't believe it will ever be a balanced representation though unless it is mandatory for all.

10. tiddlyoggy

Thing is mate, I read your posts and can see that you care passionately about the RN in all respects (particularly how the "not in my day brigade" love to slag it off), as do I; so why don't you take the short time it takes to return these surveys? Positive comments have as much of a place in these surveys as negative ones do!

11. I have done in the past, haven't had one for a few years though, must have been my four sides of A4 topmast diatribe in 2003 and Harrier one in 2007 that put them off asking me again.

12. The trouble with surveys as with any statistics is that if you know what you are doing you can make them prove whatever you want.

Agree on the merits of filling them out though and I encourage my team to fill the annual staff survey out as there are positive points that come out as well as the negative and if the powers that be don't know about an issue then they can't do anything about it ... always assuming they have a mind to!

13. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

never had the chance to offer an opinion, but on the whole I think the Jack of my day would have treated it as a joke anyway. Never knew a matelot who didn't drip when he had the opportunity. As long as it was anonymous that is.

14. tiddlyoggy

I agree that Jack loves a drip, BUT there are those who do it in a lighthearted way to have a laugh with messmates, then there are those miserable, whinging, the navy's so unfair, why me chief, the world owes me a living, everbody hates me etc mess deck lawyer ***** who should never be allowed to set foot on a pussers war canoe. They cause genuine downturns in morale as well as getting good eggs in the shit when they fill them in for being bell ends.

15. I think the survey is a load of Bollox.

16. Succinct and to the point, combining a soupcon of humour with constructive criticism.

17. I disagree - I think the survey's result is probably accurate, Service morale is currently on a downward slide imho. I've been in 30+ years and am as cynical as you would expect, like any matelot I like a good whinge; but we're in the shit and it's getting worse. SDSR, 4 year pay/pension freeze, uncertainty over AFPS 15 etc.etc., there's not a lot of good news at the moment.

18. Wot Stan said!

19. Stan - thanks for the advice. However, seeing as you haven't got a ******* clue who I am, what I do, when I retire or what my resettlement plan might be, then I'll choose to ignore it. I am under no illusion that "the grass is most definitely not nesessarily greener on the other side". The thread title (have you read it?) relates to current Service morale and I have stated my observations on things as I see them now, which I stand by and which also do not necessarily relate to my own personal feelings.