Armed Forces - Mental Health - Prevalence measurements

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Always_a_Civvy, Aug 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Government have announced that the work they commissioned into the extent of mental health problems amongst armed forces personnel has now been published. The details were outlined by the Minister in a Written Ministerial Statement to the House of Lords on 25 July 2007 (Lords Hansard: 25 July 2007, Cols.WS63-WS64.

2. There is an interesting article in the Indy today on mental health post Iraq/Afghanistan.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article3013132.ece

The key thing seems to be that community mental health teams, no matter how good, are not suitable for this sort of work.

I remember recently reading a book by BBC journo Frank Gardiner (sp?) about being shot in Saudi. A very good read. I remember one bit in particular, when a civilian mental health person (can't remember exact job discription) can to see him, and hadn't even read his notes and assumed he had been in a car crash! He sent her packing and the BBC got in a RN doctor who was just the ticket.

3. "The key thing seems to be that community mental health teams, no matter how good, are not suitable for this sort of work."

With my experience I totally agree, after having 3 x 1hr sessions in 3 months, I have been told to go away & close the book on my experiences!
    this is despite still having the mood swings, flashbacks, nightmares & sleep problems. luckily I'm off to Combat Stress next month.

Its also the GPs who are part of the problem, most have not had any military experience like the older GPs who are now retiring or retired.
    A friend of my mine visited his GP, told him all about his problems (falklands/Kosovo)& was told " You are the 2nd person this week who has come in with this kind of problem, the other guy was 88 & fought in WW2, I will give you the same advice I gave him. Go home and pull yourself together"

I have managed to get him the help he needs & he's waiting for a Combat Stress place, theres nothing as scary as when he phoned to say he was about to top himself as no one would help him.

4. The GP should be reported to the GMC for professional misconduct, before his "advice" kills one of his patients! :pissedoff:

http://gmc-uk.org/guidance/

5. his girlfriend is a nurse & he has been reported to the PCT about his conduct.

6. hi,
    Even i too found an Interesting article while i was searching for the topic " Armed Forces - Mental Health - Prevalence measurements ".i found the data regarding this topic. just check out the url that i searched through the internet and this following url

http://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/prevelance_data.htm

hoping that this provide knowledge for those people in this forum searching for this relevant topic.

Thank you.

7. The reality is that this quack is as likely to say this to some one who presents with normal civvy depression. GPs are simply a group out of the population at large, and too m,any people still see mental health as just out and out loonies and any one else needs to buck their ideas up

8. It's still unprofessional Maxi. Those ideas about depression are 20 years out of date. If GPs haven't followed medical developments from the mid 1980s what hope of modern treatment generally. Some probably still resort to bleeding patients..... :roll:

9. I wouldn't come down to hard on civvy GPs - they simply don't understand. I personally think we should operate a veterans system like the US does so we can continue to look after you when you leave active service, but I don't think Gordy will be introducing this any time soon!

At risk of being shouted at, the attitude of the GP may not be that far off the mark for the general public. There are various causes of depression, from hormonal imbalances and other psychiatric diagnoses to demotivation. If you have a reason to be depressed (eg, you cat has just died), then it is a fair course to let said person go away and sort his/her own head out before resorting to therapy plus/minus drugs. Many people use "mental illness" as an easy way to get signed off work - you can call be a callous bastard if you like, but it's true.

10. Tend to agree with you with some of those staements, I was lucky that after 10 years of looking for help, an Indian Locum did a proper check of my notes & noted there was a 10 year gap in my medical history, no one had ever asked if i had been in the forces. I feel that something should be attached to medical notes on discharge so your gp knows you were in th eforces but having said that my notes from the RN never appeared!

11. I also think it is often the realistic/pragmatic view for the GP to offer prozac or the like and see what happens. The reality is that mental health is grossly under funded, waiting lists are long and to be an in patient even as a volunteer you have to be assessed as being at real risk of harm. I know of some GPs who now have councillors to fill the gap between people coming for help and being able to get full phsyciatic help. The reality is that the mental health support is crap, and paricularly for GPs it is very crap so it is not surprising that the level of help that any one gets from the GP be they civvy of ex services is very poor.

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

As a veteran, the consequences of service must continue to be the MORAL responsibility if the Secretary of State for Defence. Plainly the handover of the used veteran to the NHS doesn't work. I would recommend Chockhead et al to seek an interview with their MP at his regular surgery. Prepare a careful written, signed brief, including dates and names, that can be handed over; take a friend along to take notes; keep calm; and don't leave the surgery until the MP has promised to take up the case with the S of S. Write to the MP immediately afterwards documenting his promise.

As a general principle, when complaining about anything, always start as high up the ladder as you can using the personal name of the person complained to (rather than Mr Chairman or whatever). Lower levels are only interested in covering their arse.