Armed Forces may lose Crown Immunity

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Jan 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No

2. Maybe

0 vote(s)
  3. Yes

0 vote(s)
  4. Other (comment below)

0 vote(s)
  1. There is a concerted effort by Peers in the House of Lords to render service personnel liable for corporate manslaughter in opposition to Government attempts to block this measure, it was reported in yesterday's Scotland on Sunday (14 January 2007).

The amendment they are seeking is to the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Bill currently going through Parliament.
  2. If the individual is negligent or incompetent then why should they be treated differently to any other member of the British public.
    However the circumstance in which the act took place must always be considered. A serviceman shooting and possibly killing in the line of duty must be able to carry out his duties without fear of possible prosecution providing he has acted within his brief.
  3. Uhmmm. Reading the article it seems to be really aimed at Head's of services and defence ministers. But if passed i wonder how long it would take for them to get the blame passed on to some poor rating below them in the food chain. As duty of care stems from people on the shop floor who would be in the firing line for the sergeant having to give back his body armour. The stores officer who ordered him or his CO etc etc. or the minister. As i bet it wont be Des(who the fcuck am i) Browne. Some poor sod down the line will take the full blame. :sad:
  4. Anything that increases the culpability of people higher up the chain I feel can only be a good thing..and might make them think a bit more when sending people into dangerous places poorly equipped, advised and supported.