Armed Forces Day

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by SJRM_RN, Jun 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With Armed Forces Day happening this coming Saturday (29 Jun 13 for the official date) what are RR-ers plans? I'll be marching around a town near to where I work (no doubt to the sound of bagpipes) and having a few jars with the old and bold at the local British Legion. I just hope the 'liquid sunshine' stays away.

So, what else are people doing in regard to AFD?

2. My town is having a fete kinda thing in the centre. Oh and a dog show which is the main attraction (no i am not sure why either), so will go along to that and see whats occuring!

3. On the RNA stand in St Ives Cambridgshire.

4. In a word - Working!

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Weymouth had its Veterans Parade last Sunday, The Submariners Association contingent were OK at marching and excelled at the drinking bit afterwards. Excellent turnout by both the Vets. and the public.

• Like Like x 1

6. You never know, you may win. :grin:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Working too. I'm sure the Reserves will be out in force ;)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (iOS)

8. Haha i did think to put at the end of my post 'no...i am not entering before anyone asks' but i thought nah no one would go there :p hold my handbag!

9. I am at sea and I dont think the ship is doing anything to celebrate it which is ashame! My wife will be at the parade in my home town with my ex-army grandfather helping him stand proud and then getting him hammered on bells.

10. For ALL you serving members or those that have a veterens badge (I havn't applied for mine yet:neutral:) pleaase support
    Crown Carveries.
    They are doing their thing and giving eiother a FREEEEEE! breakfast or FREEEE carvery away.

See here for more details:
    Crown Carveries - Our News & Offers

posted by Slim the Scottish Jewboy

11. Went last year to the one in Lee-on-Solent and the landlord gave the table a free round of drinks for all the service guys in the group. Good times

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  12. We are holding Bridlingtons AFD on Saturday the 6th of July,it's our first one,organised by a group of veterans on the back of a fag packet,fingers crossed we get a good turnout!

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Barney would you happen to know if there were minesweepers based at Bridlington during WW2?

14. Gosport RBL Club are open from 1200-0100 with entertainment on throughout the day and night and a BBQ at 1700 ish
    Doombar is the real ale available:eek:ccasion5:

All serving members and ex service welcome

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'll be asleep during the day (following a Night shift) and then plodding the beat in a medium-sized town on the South Coast in the evening, looking at the drunken remains of serving and retired military personnel et al. who make my chest swell with pride when I watch their escapades... :roll:

I, on the other hand, will not be milking this or other AFDs. Being in the Forces is a job. That's all. A unique job, admittedly, but it does not necessitate preferential treatment or "freebies". By all means, if a kind-hearted member of the public or bar/restaurant wishes to give you something for free then fine - but do not demand it; do not expect something for nothing, because you happen to wear a funny uniform. It cheapens the pride and respect that the uniform represents. There are far more dangerous jobs in the UK - why don't we celebrate Nurses' Day, or Taxi Cab Drivers' Day in the same way? Any calls for Offshore Platform Workers' Day, or Deep Sea Fishermen Day..? :shock:

Being in (or having been in) the Forces does not make you/me/us special. I know we'll always "Mummy's Little Soldier" but a significant number of people who have no connection or interest in military matters are fairly indifferent, as they should be.

• Like Like x 2
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If statistics are to be believed, a significiant number of homeless people are ex-servicemen. Many of them probably don't figure too highly in the Armed Forces Day celebrations nor probably care too much about it either. (I would imagine they don't have the means to obtain a food voucher for the pubs listed in previous posts, yet are probably more deserving than some of the PFKs that will be claiming that "freebie".)

Perhaps more publicity should be given to St. Mungo's "No More" campaign which is running this week (24-30 June 2013). This charity has been operating since 1969 and has provided a haven for homeless people, many of whom are inevitably ex-service personnel.

Some shocking figures (provided by St. Mungo's and other official sources):

• Rough sleeping in England increased by 31% between 2010 and 2012.
    • In 2012/2013, the number of people who slept rough at some point in London was 5,678, an increase of 43% on the previous year.
    • 6,437 people were seen sleeping rough in London by outreach workers in 2012/2013:
      • 12% of that total - 786 - are women.
      • 197 people (3% of the total) were seen sleeping rough throughout the four quarters of the year.
    • More than 10 people will sleep rough for the first time in London today.
    • 86% of rough sleepers are male with an average age of 38.

17. Will ask the harbour museum if they know anything about sweepers during the war,standby

• Like Like x 1
  18. We already have a "Nurses day" Sgt! Anniversary of Flo Nightingales Birthday! 12th May ... oh! ....... you missed it? Never mind ... theres always next year! :grin:

But yes I get your drift and have to agree!

• Like Like x 1
  19. No voucher required, read the link! Just an ID card or a Veterans Badge. Agree it's a job that shouldn't demand attention, but if large corporate chains want to give away free food, services or not I'll have it anyway. Hell I'll even loan out my card so some other deserving sole can get a free meal from the deep pockets of these institutions.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)