Armed Forces Day - Why?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jun 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I may well be about to get a damned good literary thrashing, but why the hell do we have this cringingly self-congratulatory, meaningless, costly and labour intensive thing? It's as pointless as a wasp, stinging nettles, starting sentences with the word "so" and Jeremy Kyle. Totally unnecessary.

Dunno who's behind it, but I can personally see no point in it, in fact I find it embarrassing & always make a point of giving it a swerve, a very wide berth and any other relevant metaphor.

We have Remembrance Sunday to remember the victims of war, let's leave it at that, eh?

Again, probably controversial but I do find the title of the charity "Help For Heroes" incredibly crass, particularly if the people collecting, happen to be wearing a military uniform. I appreciate those collecting may not be doing it for themselves but the inference is: "I wear a uniform, I am a hero, give me and my ilk money".

The assumption that any person that dons a military uniform is a hero or needs a special day to ponce about demanding adulation flies against every sinew of decency I can muster, it's utter, utter, UTTER* bollocks (*Royalties due to Rik Mayall).

Armed Forces day is, put bluntly, a bloody tiresome chore to me.

I feel better for that. Thanks for indulging.

Carry-on....

• Like Like x 12
  2. Leaving aside for the moment the issues raised by Ninja Stoker, the key point about this years AF Day "celebrations" is surely the chosen location.

The Old Etonian Senior Common Room in Downing Street must have been delighted that labour controlled Stirling Council put in a bid to host this year's main event.

A perfect opportunity to disrupt the Bannockburn 700 celebrations and poke the YES campaign in the eye.

3. Just had this through the door

ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1403939230.358833.jpg

4. That looks like a very dodgy rip off.

Cunningly doesnt claim to be a charity.

Google for Maxim Ltd shows - website coming soon.

5. The name on the bag is shown as 'MAKSIM LTD'?

[TABLE]
    [TR="class: bluemidtext"]
    [TD="class: padding36, align: left"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: bluemidtext"]
    [TD="class: padding36, align: left"]Name & Registered Office:
    MAKSIM LTD
    20 WATKIN TERRACE
    FLAT 1
    NORTHAMPTON
    NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
    NN1 3ER
    Company No. 08398055

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: dotDevider"][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="class: dotDevider"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: padding30, align: left"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: yellowCreamTable, align: left"] Status: Active
    Date of Incorporation: 11/02/2013

Country of Origin: United Kingdom [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: yellowCreamTable, align: left"] Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC):
    53100 - Postal activities under universal service obligation[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Maksim Ltd - Open Company

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  6. All we need now are pictures of some soldiers posing with the back and pulling their best "sad" faces. We could then flog the photos to the national newspapers complaining of "the terrible people looking to make money from owr soldjers"...

Okay, probably a bad plan.

7. Agree with N_S, though would like it a bit more if I could find my bloody badge so I could scam a free or reduced lunch from some guillible patriotic restauranteur over in Guz.

8. Free bus travel today too.

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Chop chop, for today only, freebie Vets' carvery meal at Crown Carveries.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just made nearly £200 for the RNA in st Ives, Cambs. Pissed down later on so knocked it on the head early. We were asked to help de-rig the gazebos, the bloody crabs (RAFA) stood around watching everyone get wet around them, then walked away, leaving theirs up!

12. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

It always seem the ultimate irony to me, regardless of whether we're heroes or not (I'm not), that on Armed Forces day, which is held on a Saturday, involves stoppage of leave for those up the line. A bit like holding an orgy to promote chastity. In a previous life, at a top secret Police and Guard Training facility just outside of Pompey I was serving at, it also involved local dignitaries coming in and stuffing their faces, whilst military staff avoided weekenders.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Didn't get that. Got the free meal though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. When it first appeared, it was marketed as 'Veteran's Day'. Apparently, the public turn out was greater than expected and so the following year it metamorphosed into Armed Forces Day. It's a grand affair...and I love the Navy. I have an anchor in my back pocket at all times and carry a selection of random bank notes from across the globe in case I found myself lost in a foreign country. My counterpane is a large white ensign that I painstakingly handcrafted over a period of two standeasys...and the last time me and the missus did the 'beast with two backs' thing I yelled "All aboard me hearties - all the nice girls love a sailor" as I plunged her hairy depths. Nice. Did I tell you I love the navy?

• Like Like x 4
  15. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Check the back of your headboard for my Zap Sticker ship mate...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Besides the fact there shouldn't even need to be forces charities to give support to those that need it as a direct result of their employment, the whole thing strikes me as a political stunt to absolve governmental responsibility.

When one looks at it for what it is, it basically involves the private sector 'rewarding' the public sector in exchange for free advertising. The service person gets unfounded praise heaped upon them for working on a Saturday by a bemused public that feels obligated in some perverse way & successive governments slip the net of responsibility.

Admirals, Generals and management from 'the other lot' go on TV stating "It's important" without actually articulating what the flying fcuk they think it's all about, but they say it in the hope their troops will feel pleased about working on a Saturday for "a good cause".

It's a bit like the Emperor's New Clothes, no-one has got the bloody spine to admit they've all been had.

We'd be better off with one day's extra leave & a free PAYD scran.

• Like Like x 3
  17. What? Are you insane man?

• Like Like x 3
  18. We should also not forget that the main thing most members of the public will witness this Armed Forces Day, is a massive cringefest of cadets and reservists cutting about looking utterly shit in rig and marching like spastics.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Nowt wrong with marching like a spastic.