Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armed Drones in Afghan flown from RAF Waddington

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I saw this on the news earlier.

Why do they wear flight suits? It's not like their cosy office and computer console in Lincolnshire is gonna burst into flames now is it?

G

guestm

I saw this on the news earlier.

Why do they wear flight suits? It's not like their cosy office and computer console in Lincolnshire is gonna burst into flames now is it?

Same reason divers wear MTP / CS95. To feel 'special'.

I dont know why some people on hearing this news where surprised by this i certainly wasnt considering the HM government have always got their tongue up uncle sams ass.

G

guestm

I dont know why some people on hearing this news where surprised by this i certainly wasnt considering the HM government have always got their tongue up uncle sams ass.

What part of the RAF operating their drones from the UK could possibly lead to your dribbling assessment that the government has it's 'tongue up Uncle Sam's ass'?

I also love the irony in that statement where you use ass instead of arse.

bollotom

War Hero
Once it's proper operational, like, the Gov of HM will privatise it. Look forward to Richard Branson having his insignia emblazoned on the things. :)

trelawney126

War Hero
Aren't most Jihadists promised 40 Virgins? They can but be a little disappointed when they just get the one courtesy of Mr Branson

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Aren't most Jihadists promised 40 Virgins? They can but be a little disappointed when they just get the one courtesy of Mr Branson

First, nonfundamentalist Muslims don't take the cosmological parts of the Koran any more literally than non-fundamentalist Christians take the biblical story of Genesis. They understand the bits about virgins and so on as metaphors for the ineffable joys of the afterlife. Second, nothing in the Koran specifically states that the faithful are allotted virgins (although 72 is the much-referenced number you allude to). This elaboration comes from the Hadith, traditional sayings traced with varying degrees of credibility to Muhammad. Hadith number 2562 (Psalm, if you will) states: "The least [reward] for the people of Heaven is 80,000 servants and 72 houri (wives), over which stands a dome of pearls, aquamarine and ruby." It is widely accepted by Islamic scholars that the "80,000 servants and 72 wives" is a metaphor for Jannah, or Paradise (which was concept borrowed from Christian teachings).

If you're trying to ridicule a religion, base your prejudice on some sort of research first...

trelawney126

War Hero
The post of mine relates to jihadists/ terrorists and does not slate the Muslim religion only the beliefs of those who proclaim a holy war on anyone who does not follow their own brand of extremist views. Sorry to have crayoned in the CA's will limit my postst DL's

First, nonfundamentalist Muslims don't take the cosmological parts of the Koran any more literally than non-fundamentalist Christians take the biblical story of Genesis. They understand the bits about virgins and so on as metaphors for the ineffable joys of the afterlife. Second, nothing in the Koran specifically states that the faithful are allotted virgins (although 72 is the much-referenced number you allude to). This elaboration comes from the Hadith, traditional sayings traced with varying degrees of credibility to Muhammad. Hadith number 2562 (Psalm, if you will) states: "The least [reward] for the people of Heaven is 80,000 servants and 72 houri (wives), over which stands a dome of pearls, aquamarine and ruby." It is widely accepted by Islamic scholars that the "80,000 servants and 72 wives" is a metaphor for Jannah, or Paradise (which was concept borrowed from Christian teachings).

If you're trying to ridicule a religion, base your prejudice on some sort of research first...

72 wives? Poor bastards.One was too many for me...:happycry:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The post of mine relates to jihadists/ terrorists and does not slate the Muslim religion...

Jihadists are fundamental extremist Muslims who base their ideology on their interpretation of the teachings of the Koran. The same book that millions of other peaceful, friendly Muslims use to live their lives. So your association with Jihadists and Islam/the Koran was made apparent when you referred to the "40 [sic] virgins". Could it not be argued that we in the West (as predominantly Christians) waged a Holy War during the Crusades and onwards? Or where the Crusades the "Jihadists" of Christianity, not representative of everyone who follow that faith?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Once it's proper operational, like, the Gov of HM will privatise it. Look forward to Richard Branson having his insignia emblazoned on the things. :)
Yep, before we know it, there'll be civilians wearing a corporate uniform doing the job in UK.

Erm, no wait...

Then again, I can't wait for the howls of angst when drone jockey gets awarded a DFC for playing Call of Doody from the comfort of a settee in his/her bunker at RAF Waddington.

Last edited:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Why not, N_S? The US military have been proactively recruiting young gamers for this very reason - they have the required aptitude for hand/eye coordination. They even devised a new video game (America's Army) in order to encourage them to join up; the game was so popular, in fact, that it often appears in the Top 5 gaming charts.

Sharkey

Banned
A bit more from the article that SGP got his info from.
Let's return to the Koran, Islam's font of religious authority. Even if we leave out the racy detail and make allowances for metaphor, we're obliged to admit that Islamic heaven is a pretty rockin' place, with an emphasis on sensual pleasures. The provision of virgins in indeterminate quantities is alluded to at numerous points, and you know they're not just there to fluff the pillows.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Why not, N_S? The US military have been proactively recruiting young gamers for this very reason - they have the required aptitude for hand/eye coordination. They even devised a new video game (America's Army) in order to encourage them to join up; the game was so popular, in fact, that it often appears in the Top 5 gaming charts.
I haven't suggested otherwise. I've been processing computer gamers who want to be Royal Marines snipers for ten years. The only difference is that successful Royal Marines tend not to be couch potatoes.

The practical difference, to my mind, is genuine bravery in the very real field of combat should not be confused with virtual reality. :rabbit:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I haven't suggested otherwise. I've been processing computer gamers who want to be Royal Marines snipers for ten years. The only difference is that successful Royal Marines tend not to be couch potatoes.

The practical difference, to my mind, is genuine bravery in the very real field of combat should not be confused with virtual reality. :rabbit:

I know; was just suggesting that if it's good enough for our Colonial cousins, it's good enough for us.

With reference to practical differences, the same could apply to our own FF training. You and I are both old enough to remember the fire scenarios at Horsea Island - nothing can replicate fire than making it as realistic as possible. While I comment the facilities at Whale Island, they are nothing compared to having Stokers throwing fuel onto fires to add to the fear factor. Health and safety provisions aside, adrenalin certainly makes you improve your re-entry skills... :shock: :twisted:

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger

Indeed - Here is one of their better recruits....

index.jpeg

Seadog

War Hero

Your last brilliant insight - on the Boston bombings.

I knew it was muslims but wasnt sure if it was chechens.

Perhaps your talents are wasted on Current Affairs, international Relations, NATO, how the world works ( and doesn't).

the HM government

Face palm. Your new user name is on borrowed time.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS CNC officers proud to take part in webinar on women in armed policing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Peace Agreement - Sudan Armed Opposition Groups: Troika Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovation call for technology to stop armed or violent offenders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for armed forces community to contribute to the Frontline Project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC achieves silver award in supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body - Forty-Ninth Report - July 2020 The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS 127 new employers awarded for supporting the armed forces community MoD News 0
soleil Armed Forces Pay Review Body - 49th Report - 2020 Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS Armed Forces personnel to receive 2% pay rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for the Armed Forces James Heappey MP: The Ministry of Defence Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead tributes to Dame Vera Lynn at her funeral MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Free ‘wraparound’ childcare for the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Secretary Alistair Jack marks 2020 Armed Forces Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces announce launch of first Cyber Regiment in major modernisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary commends Armed Forces’ contribution to the fight against coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding to support armed forces charities doing vital work during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Armed Forces Maintaining Critical Defence Activities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary praises UK's Armed Forces' support in Wales' fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK's Armed Forces efforts recognised by Scottish Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces protected from vexatious claims in important step MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gaming technology trialled in training UK Armed Forces MoD News 0
soleil FB: SSAFA, The Armed Forces Charity - With Love From RNAS Yeovilton The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS We must protect Children in Armed Conflict: "Children have been robbed of their childhood and forced to participate in brutal wars" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces heroes celebrated at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
soleil ITV News: "Armed Forces Tattoos Photography Exhibition Opens In London" History 25
MoD_RSS Armed policing code strengthened in response to Grainger Inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces Covenant Report shows support for military community MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New pledges for the Armed Forces announced in Queen's Speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead nation in Cenotaph service on Remembrance Sunday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Production starts on world-leading respirators for UK armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Office for Veterans’ Affairs will ensure the UK leads the world in care for Armed Forces Veterans MoD News 0
vauxhall Public Consultation on Legal Protection for Armed Forces Personnel Serving Abroad on Operations The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS CNC proud to play key part in inaugural Women in Armed Policing conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM praises role of UK's Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits West Africa and extends language training to Senegalese Armed Forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Minister for Armed Forces Rt. Hon Mark Lancaster visits Ghana MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed forces personnel complete Hajj MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100 employers awarded for supporting the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces mark 50 years since the start of operations in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
vauxhall Armed Forces Pay Rise Confirmed as 2.9% Finance & Pensions 2
MoD_RSS Public consultation on new laws launches to protect armed forces from historical allegations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed forces champion for London announced as updated Veterans’ housing report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New measures announced to stamp out inappropriate behaviour in the armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary joins armed forces personnel for London Pride MoD News 1
vauxhall Happy Armed Forces Day! Finance & Pensions 4
MoD_RSS News story: North Wales Employers’ Pledge Support to UK Armed Forces MoD News 0