Armed Drones in Afghan flown from RAF Waddington

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by silverfox, Apr 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Who's won the contract to build the hotel for the "pilots" to rest in?
  3. I saw this on the news earlier.

Why do they wear flight suits? It's not like their cosy office and computer console in Lincolnshire is gonna burst into flames now is it?
  4. Same reason divers wear MTP / CS95. To feel 'special'.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. I dont know why some people on hearing this news where surprised by this i certainly wasnt considering the HM government have always got their tongue up uncle sams ass.
  6. What part of the RAF operating their drones from the UK could possibly lead to your dribbling assessment that the government has it's 'tongue up Uncle Sam's ass'?

I also love the irony in that statement where you use ass instead of arse.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Once it's proper operational, like, the Gov of HM will privatise it. Look forward to Richard Branson having his insignia emblazoned on the things. :)
  8. Aren't most Jihadists promised 40 Virgins? They can but be a little disappointed when they just get the one courtesy of Mr Branson
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

First, nonfundamentalist Muslims don't take the cosmological parts of the Koran any more literally than non-fundamentalist Christians take the biblical story of Genesis. They understand the bits about virgins and so on as metaphors for the ineffable joys of the afterlife. Second, nothing in the Koran specifically states that the faithful are allotted virgins (although 72 is the much-referenced number you allude to). This elaboration comes from the Hadith, traditional sayings traced with varying degrees of credibility to Muhammad. Hadith number 2562 (Psalm, if you will) states: "The least [reward] for the people of Heaven is 80,000 servants and 72 houri (wives), over which stands a dome of pearls, aquamarine and ruby." It is widely accepted by Islamic scholars that the "80,000 servants and 72 wives" is a metaphor for Jannah, or Paradise (which was concept borrowed from Christian teachings).

If you're trying to ridicule a religion, base your prejudice on some sort of research first...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The post of mine relates to jihadists/ terrorists and does not slate the Muslim religion only the beliefs of those who proclaim a holy war on anyone who does not follow their own brand of extremist views. Sorry to have crayoned in the CA's will limit my postst DL's
  11. 72 wives? Poor bastards.One was too many for me...:happycry:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sgtpepperband

Jihadists are fundamental extremist Muslims who base their ideology on their interpretation of the teachings of the Koran. The same book that millions of other peaceful, friendly Muslims use to live their lives. So your association with Jihadists and Islam/the Koran was made apparent when you referred to the "40 [sic] virgins". Could it not be argued that we in the West (as predominantly Christians) waged a Holy War during the Crusades and onwards? Or where the Crusades the "Jihadists" of Christianity, not representative of everyone who follow that faith?
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, before we know it, there'll be civilians wearing a corporate uniform doing the job in UK.

Erm, no wait...

Then again, I can't wait for the howls of angst when drone jockey gets awarded a DFC for playing Call of Doody from the comfort of a settee in his/her bunker at RAF Waddington.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  14. sgtpepperband

Why not, N_S? The US military have been proactively recruiting young gamers for this very reason - they have the required aptitude for hand/eye coordination. They even devised a new video game (America's Army) in order to encourage them to join up; the game was so popular, in fact, that it often appears in the Top 5 gaming charts.
  15. A bit more from the article that SGP got his info from.
    Let's return to the Koran, Islam's font of religious authority. Even if we leave out the racy detail and make allowances for metaphor, we're obliged to admit that Islamic heaven is a pretty rockin' place, with an emphasis on sensual pleasures. The provision of virgins in indeterminate quantities is alluded to at numerous points, and you know they're not just there to fluff the pillows.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I haven't suggested otherwise. I've been processing computer gamers who want to be Royal Marines snipers for ten years. The only difference is that successful Royal Marines tend not to be couch potatoes.

The practical difference, to my mind, is genuine bravery in the very real field of combat should not be confused with virtual reality. :rabbit:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anyone else get the advertisment thats attached itself to this thread? Hilarious.:evil5:
  18. sgtpepperband

I know; was just suggesting that if it's good enough for our Colonial cousins, it's good enough for us.

With reference to practical differences, the same could apply to our own FF training. You and I are both old enough to remember the fire scenarios at Horsea Island - nothing can replicate fire than making it as realistic as possible. While I comment the facilities at Whale Island, they are nothing compared to having Stokers throwing fuel onto fires to add to the fear factor. Health and safety provisions aside, adrenalin certainly makes you improve your re-entry skills... :shock: :twisted:
  19. Indeed - Here is one of their better recruits....

20. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Your last brilliant insight - on the Boston bombings.

Perhaps your talents are wasted on Current Affairs, international Relations, NATO, how the world works ( and doesn't).

Face palm. Your new user name is on borrowed time.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013