Arlington National Cemetary

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Dec 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had this in an email and though you might like to see it.

[​IMG]

These wreaths -- some 5,000 -- are donated by the Worcester Wreath Co. of Harrington, Maine . The owner, Merrill Worcester, not only provides the wreaths, but covers the trucking expense as well. He's done this since 1992. A wonderful guy. Also, most years, groups of Maine school kids combine an educational trip to DC with this event to help out. Making this even more remarkable is the fact that Harrington is in one the poorest parts of the state.

2. BZ, Merrill Worcester.
    Passed Arlington twice, once in daylight - it's GYNORMOUUS !! Saw the Iwo Jima Memorial lit up at night, very impressive sight.

3. Good post NMC

Well done Merrill Worcester - there aren't enough examples of such public spirit.

4. Very impressive been to arlington cemetry twice ,the place always leaves a tear in my eye.

5. Been there and it is very moving to walk round as is the Vietnam Memorial in Washington ...... :salut:

6. Very, very moving.

I have sent an email to Mr Worcester and his company thanking them.

7. What a smashing thing to do - only a woman would think of that.

Any chance you could post up the email for us all to see?

8. Me too, I defy anyone not too, the Viet Nam memorial is a very emotional place as well. Both are well worth a visit if in Washington DC.

9. Cheeky sod!

Nope, it was personal and I had a tear in my eye when I wrote it.

10. I remember some years ago visiting that symbol of the brutality Kanchanaburi War Cemeteries we were taken there by coach and all Brits. It was the monsoon season and pissing down, even though ‘wanchai burberrys’ were provided only one other couple plus the Mrs and I got off to pay our respects to put it mildly it was dreadfully disappointing and sad to say not really surprising.

11. That was a typo I promise.

12. I've not had the privilege of visiting Arlington, but on one of my cycling tours in UK, happened upon the USAF cemetery and memorial near Cambridge. A very moving experience, and I read every name that was carved on those walls.
    We (British) are quick to pounce on the Septics for their gung-ho attitude, and seeming carelessness where loss of life is concerned, but they, as a Nation gave of their finest, and as individuals, gave their all, when we needed their help.
    We should not allow that fact to be forgotten.

2BM