Ark Royal - Rig question

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by pompeyexpat, Nov 1, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anchor faced twat that I am, I've just been watching an old program about Ark Royal and it raised a question hopefully someone can answer for me.
    There may be a straightforward answer to this, please excuse a a simple submariner who's never been on any skimmer let alone a CVS, but why was the Air Traffic Controller wearing a flight suit in Flyco when she's going nowhere an aircraft?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pilot Walt?

3. You were not alone in wondering about that :confused:

4. Probably because he doesn't want to wear 4s (or 8s, or 3s, what ever ARKR was wearing at sea that day). It is as simple as that.

5. Link to the program?

6. No reason at all for her to be wearing it and if she was ATC she's incorrectly dressed. Are you sure she was ATC and not duty pilot? I can't find a watchable link.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  7. No, she was definitely an ATC. She even said her job was done once they'd flown off the aircraft. It wasn't a one off either, she was wearing it every time she was on watch or however it's referred to in her world.

8. That link takes me to wheeler dealers!

9. Scroll down and there's episodes 7 & 8, which are the ones I watched. She features in both, about 31 mins in one and 37 in the other.

10. Gotcha.

I know her, definitely an ATCO and definitely incorrectly dressed. There is zero reason for anyone in Flyco or anywhere onboard for that matter to be in flying ovies unless they're flying. Stand fast off duty aircrew who shouldn't but it's kind of accepted that they do.

I like to think she got picked up for it at some point. I hope she did or it's embarrassing for all really.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Am currently at RAF Digby, not a runway in sight, plenty of Crabs in flying ovies in work on a daily basis, apparently it's because they're supporting ops! Go figure. I do enjoying asking them where they've parked their aircraft as I didn't notice any in the car park that morning!

• Like Like x 6
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I've seen crabs in Main Building in flying suits - some what random rig to wear to work in a central london office.

13. Never seen one at ABW though. Which has surprised me.

14. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Was there a couple of weeks ago and Crab SH pilots were mincing about in them at the Costa..they're everywhere, lazy mudderfusters!

15. The *****. Here I was thinking ABW actually had something going for it.

16. Next time I go to a crab base, I'm gonna cut about in my ovies and full anti flash just for shits and giggles.

• Like Like x 4
  17. They wouldn't say a word. PCS has confused and panicked them so much they have gone silent on the subject of Jack rig. just prefix it with an ambiguous dress number and reason: "Well it's the last Thursday in November isn't it. Number seventeens."

Mind you, judging by the state of some matelots, PCS has confused them too. The state of them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I was at Shrivenham a few weeks back. The place is toppers with RAF pilots in gay as **** leather jackets, Cavalry Brigadiers in red trousers, random squaddies wearing made up rig (para smock with brown brogues anyone?).

While having a quick wet in the very nice Costa in the college atrium, a killick waltzed in with a het as **** grizzly beard, battered steaming bats, Popeye tats and faded PCS. Probably the lowest ranking bloke in there by a mile (after me) but confident as **** that he was the coolest motherfucker in the joint (after me).

You could hear the sharp intakes of breath and shock from the assembled masses.

• Like Like x 2