Ark Royal (R09) 1970 Collision

Hello shipmates, need your help.

I`ve been trying - without success - to find photos of the Ark at the time when she was involved in a notorious incident in 1970 when she collided with the Soviet destroyer Kotlin while it was shadowing Ark Royal (a common practise during the Cold War) which was in the Mediterranean to participate in a NATO exercise. Ark Royal was damaged only slightly while the Soviet destroyer sustained significant damage.

I thankyou in advance for your help

There never was a specific ship called the Kotlin.It was a name used by the designers.The actual Name of the class was Project 56(kotlin).If you can actually find out the Name of the Vessel it would help.

Names of the Kotlin Class.

Spokoinyy - Спокойный - Peaceful
Svetlyy - Светлый - Bright ( or Light)
Speshnyy - Спешный - Rapid
Skromnyy - Скромный - Modest
Svedushchiy - Сведущий -Knowledgeable
Smyshlenyy - Смышленый - Sharp (quickwitted)
Skrytnyy- Скрытный - Secretive
Soznatelnyy - Сознательный - Aware
Spravedlivyy - Справедливый - Just , Kotlin SAM modernisation and trasfer to the Polish navy as the ORP Warszawa
Nesokrushimyy - ÐеÑокрушимый - Indestructible
Nakhodchivyy- Ðаходчивый - Resourceful
Nastoyachivyy - Ðаходчивый - Real
Byvalvyy - Бывалый
Bravyy - Бравый - Kotlin SAM prototype
Besslednyy - БеÑÑледный - Untracable
Burlivyy - Бурливый - Turbulent or Tempestous
Blagorodnyy - Благородный - Noble
Blestyashchyy - БлеÑÑ‚Ñщий - Brilliant
Plammeny- Пламенный - Fiery or Ardent
Naporystyy - ÐапориÑтый - Forceful
Vyzyvayuschiy- Вызыающий - Challenging
Veskiy - ВеÑкий - Convincing
Vdokhnovenyy -Вдохновенный - Inspiring
Vozmuschenyy- Возмущенный - Indignant
Vozbuzhdenyy- Возбужденный -Excited
Vliyatelnyy - ВлиÑтельный -Influential
Vyderzhannyy- Выдержанный - Consistent
The ships were scrapped between 1987 and 1990

Sorry, bum steer. Having got home and dug out my copy of McCarts book, although it's mentioned (09Nov70, with Bravyy for Andym) it's not the chapter I remember. It might be Ark Royal IV by Richard JOhnstone-Bryden.

Andy,

What a great name for a boat: Vozbuzhdenyy- Возбужденный -Excited

HMS Excited

They'd have to issue twin sets of monosocks to all the matelots....

Always.

You will not find any pictures as it was dark.......and only aircraft and other ships were in the vicinity...Operation Limejug....I know I was on board and it was a big shock to all of us as what was normally a very stable platform suddenly keeled to one side and came to an abrupt stop.......Almost. Everyone rushed for their lifebelts and their wallets. then action stations was sounded!

G.Mason said:
You will not find any pictures as it was dark.......and only aircraft and other ships were in the vicinity...Operation Limejug....I know I was on board and it was a big shock to all of us as what was normally a very stable platform suddenly keeled to one side and came to an abrupt stop.......Almost. Everyone rushed for their lifebelts and their wallets. then action stations was sounded!
I was on the bridge at the time of the collision will have a shufty through some photos if I can find any. Won't be any of the collision though. I believe a couple of phots were on the ships boats launched to pick up any survivors. they picked up a couple I think and they were taken back to the ship in overalls and a handfull of "Fly Navy" stickers.

3 files in the National Archive: BOI reports of collision between ARK ROYAL and KOTLIN No 365 November 9th 1970 - can't remember if there are any foties in them - ADM 330/54, 55 and 91.

If you can get hold of the Commission book 1970-73 there is a picture of the damage on p34. The caption says 'Damage to the stern' but I believe this to be a typo error for stem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The Fleet Air Arm 10
Stirlin The Fleet Air Arm 2
O Social & Reunions 0