Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ark Royal open to the public this weekend

Ark will be open to visitors at Victory Jetty in Portsmouth Naval Base between midday and 4pm on Saturday 22 January and 10am and 3pm the following day. Areas open on board will include the hangar, flight deck and operations room. I’m not sure what kind of state the ship will be in, as when I went past the Hard the other day I could see Containers on deck – I wonder if they’ve started stripping her out already? Entry to the jetty will be through Portsmouth Historic Dockyard’s main entrance at Victory Gate.

Full linky here:- Ark Royal to open to the public one final time « Daly History Blog

Last edited:
Lots of interest in the Ark today. At 1330 the queue was backed up all the way opposite HMS Victory, right through the dockyard and just past Victory gates. I felt very sorry for the young kids who were getting very impatient and people looked very cold. Me, I was nice and warm in the Ship & Castle !

If anyone is planning to go and pay a visit she opens at 10.00 tomorrow but i would get there as early as you can.

security_geek

Lantern Swinger
Well that's all done and dusted then.

Mrs SG decided it would be a good idea to show junior SG one of the ships daddy served on. Daddy decided to go along to ensure that a stake had been driven into the bitches heart and she really was going for razor blades (Ark not Mrs SG). The Ark was not my happiest draft and just reinforced my already low opinion of carrier queens:evil:

At 1100 the queue was doubling back on itself outside Portsmouth Harbour train station, it took 2 hours to reach the ship. I really was surprised by this considering how bl##dy cold it was. The amount of people who had come down to see her, including the Canadian in front of me that had flown down for the day from holiday in Scotland, was incredible.

Junior SG enjoyed herself (after getting warm again in the hangar), Mrs SG got hatch rash going through the entrance at the fwd gangway to the hangar and I was happily reminded of my time on the ship as the FWD STP vent was stinking out the Fwd gangway area as normal :winkrazz:

All in all a subtly different way to have spent Sunday. Thanks to all those involved in organising and manning SOTV, volunteers or pressed, a lot of people with no real connection to the RN went away with a good opinion of the service. BZ

Edited to add:

Sorry forgot to add, fecking carrier queens! I've Sh1t 'em:evil4:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Ark Royal in the 60s. History 2
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Ark Royal model started in 1992 is ready The Fleet Air Arm 10
Stirlin Ark Royal Model The Fleet Air Arm 2
O HMS Ark Royal Association Social & Reunions 0
S Ark Royal Scooters History 7
S ARK ROYAL CREW - HELP NEEDED Bases / Shore Est 15
pompeyexpat Ark Royal - Rig question The Fleet Air Arm 33
O HMS Ark Royal 1975 The Fleet Air Arm 0
P Does anyone know why Ark Royal (Invincible Class) was longer than her sisters? The Fleet 2
N Help - tom wilkinson - hms ark royal Current Affairs 12
scouse HMS Ark Royal at Turkey History 13
soleil Pompey News: "HMS Ark Royal To Leave Portsmouth For Scrapyard" The Fleet 43
stan_the_man HMS ARK ROYAL Op Telic 2003 Diamond Lil's 2
trelawney126 F4K. Ark Royal with Planeguard The Fleet Air Arm 6
P Ark Royal RO7 and Old Ship Associations The Quarterdeck 5
3 TV prog. HMS Ark Royal. Bagde question. The Quarterdeck 3
soleil Pompey News: "We Took A Punt On Axing Ark Royal, Admits Royal Navy Boss" The Fleet 0
trelawney126 WW2 Ark Royal Google Earth History 4
soleil Guardian: "HMS Ark Royal Could Be Turned Into Artificial Diving Reef" The Fleet 24
trelawney126 Ark Royal Sold to Pakistan Navy for £1 The Gash Barge 0
soleil Independent: "HMS Ark Royal Sale Deadline Extended" The Fleet 3
soleil BBC1: The One Show - 19:00 - 7th June 2011 - HMS Ark Royal The Fleet 2
C FMAA Tom Wilkinson - Ark Royal Nearest & Dearest 12
soleil BBC: "HMS Ark Royal Sale Viewings To Begin In Portsmouth" The Fleet 0
Salty_Rupert HMS Prince of Wales to be HMS Ark Royal (VI) Current Affairs 2
P Prince Charles "saves" Ark Royal Current Affairs 16
soleil Docklands24: "Limehouse Church To House Ark Royal Navy Flag" The Fleet 3
D LOOKING FOR STD BRIAN O'NEILL ex HMS ARK ROYAL 1992-95 Nearest & Dearest 3
soleil Navy News: "Bids Sought To Buy Ark Royal" The Fleet 8
A Ark Royal for sale Current Affairs 0
W Please Sign The Petition To Save The Ark Royal & The Harriers The Gash Barge 15
soleil BBC: "In Pictures: HMS Ark Royal Through The Years" The Fleet 0
soleil Mail: "Revealed: The £105m Savings From Scrapping Ark Royal" The Fleet 3
soleil HMS Ark Royal Decommissioning Ceremony, Portsmouth, Friday, 11th March 2011 The Fleet 1
trelawney126 Moscow to Bid for Ark Royal: brokered by France Diamond Lil's 7
trelawney126 HMS ARK ROYAL Discovery TV Channel Current Affairs 7
soleil Mail: "Doomed Ark Royal Could Have New Future... As A Floating Helipad On The Thames" The Fleet 10
brianhrfc HMS Ark Royal Current Affairs 22
R HMS Ark Royal on Discovery Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
Kev73 HMS Ark Royal on Discovery Channel The Fleet 1
soleil TwoSixTV: "25 Years Of Ark Royal" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "'Save The Ark Royal Name' Plea To Queen" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Portsmouth says goodbye to HMS Ark Royal Current Affairs 0
Hermes_R12 HMS Ark Royal paying off today.... Current Affairs 2
Naval_Gazer Last chance to look around Ark Royal The Fleet 8
soleil "Shaking Queen's Hand Was Very Special - Ark Royal's Chef" The Fleet 1
BillyNoMates Ark Royal - reborn. Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Ev. Standard: "Ark Royal Could Be A Museum In The Docklands" The Fleet 14
Naval_Gazer Portsmouth News: Ark Royal parade in Portsmouth 22 Jan 2011 The Fleet 3
P Portsmouth News wants to hear your HMS Ark Royal stories Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6