Ark Royal in the 60s.

Evening all, this is probably in the wrong section but I had to start somewhere!! I've recently been going through a stack of old family photos and came across three taken by my mums cousin on the Ark Royal, some time in the early 60s, I think! No one really knows when they were taken and I was just hoping someone on here might be able to shed some light on them? I have no idea what he did in the navy, or if he took them himself. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Evening all, this is probably in the wrong section but I had to start somewhere!! I've recently been going through a stack of old family photos and came across three taken by my mums cousin on the Ark Royal, some time in the early 60s, I think! No one really knows when they were taken and I was just hoping someone on here might be able to shed some light on them? I have no idea what he did in the navy, or if he took them himself. Thanks for your help.
Interesting pics. I would suggest these are official ones taken by embarked RN photographers prior to the ship's late 60s refit. Your mum's cousin may have been a photographer himself, or acquired them on board. The ship still has Scimitar and Sea Vixen aircraft rather than Buccaneers and Phantoms, and does not have the fully angled deck fitted later, together with upgraded catapults and associated kit. Other posters may well provide more detail.

I assume from what you have said that the gentleman who took the photos has since passed away.

You may be able to obtain some details about his service in the Royal Navy by making an application for a copy of his service record.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records