Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Bergen, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thank God for the Royal Marines. Hard to believe that 1100 brown-jobs have been dismissed from the Army in the past year for Class A drug offences.

Troops Took Drugs To Dodge War Zone
    Nov 14 2007 By Janice Burns

SCOTS soldiers deliberately got themselves sacked for taking drugs to avoid being sent to Afghanistan, it has been claimed.

The Record revealed yesterday that 17 squaddies from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders faced being booted out of the Army after testing positive for Class A drugs.

The Argylls are due to go to Afghanistan in March.

And after our story, Army insiders claimed that some of the 17 troops wanted to be caught because they knew a failed drug test would see them automatically sacked.

One soldier told us: "We did it because we don't want to get blown up in Afghanistan. Some might call us cowards but they have never stared death in the face.

"We are not ready to go to war and there was no other way out. We would ask people not to be too hard on us."

Another serving soldier added: "I can assure you that these guys meant to get caught. It's the quickest and best way to get out of the armed forces because of the zero tolerance policy over drugs.

"They are young and inexperienced and they were terrified of being sent to Afghanistan. Some folk might think they are cowards but it is frightening for the young ones."

The mother of a young soldier in the Argylls said: "My son is friends with the lads who were caught and he said they were all terrified of being dumped in the middle of a war zone without any experience.

"These lads took the drugs to get out of going."

Eighty-three British troops have died in Afghanistan since 2001.

The 17 Argylls failed surprise drug tests during a week-long break in the Mexican resort of Cancun.

The 500-strong battalion, part of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, had just finished a gruelling six-week exercise

The Battalion claims that it had no knowledge that this was going on. If so it means that the chain of command from C.O. to L/Cpl was dysfunctional.

2. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

Apart from training hard and being there how the F$%k can you prepare for war?
    They should be charged with fraud and be made to pay back all monies recieved from MOD.If you carn`t take a joke you should `nt join up.
  3. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

I don't feel able to blame them. The ads for joining up are such a load of old bollocks that make it sound like an outward bound course. Mind you you'd have to be thick to believe the lying bastards who make them.

PM me if you want help to get on the underground railroad lads

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

I do, it's called courage of conviction! Nobody joining up in our modern world can seriously expect to swan around visiting sunny places without actually doing the job that they signed up for, the Cold War is well and truly over. I sense a change in public opinion at the moment, a greater sense of support for all of our servicemen promoted by some of the media could be dashed in days by these morons. They represent everything that is wrong in our society: lack of commitment, lack of discipline and the forethought of a bloody goldfish! 99% of the guys who sign up will go to Afghanistan or Iraq, they aren't stupid they know the risks and they are scared, but they go anyway despite their fears, it's called courage!

My wife will be off to Afghanistan early next year for the third time, scared because she knows what to expect nevertheless she wouldn't even consider letting her mates down or fraudulantly drawing her pay!
  5. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

Elliquently put and respect to your wife.
  6. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

wish I said it first "Topstop" M

May the force be with you (and yours) "ChiefTiff
  7. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

finknottle - input required
  8. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

Look on the bright side; perhaps now the British Army will stop arranging R&R in Cancun and ruining a good run ashore :thumright: . Several American friends who own property over there were not amused to spend several days of their vacation dodging drunken jocks who were vomiting and pissing in the streets.

GR - By underground railway I take it you mean one-way tickets on the Glasgow subway for the wee tartan terrors in their trews, spats and glengarries??? :bball:

Quick PS - Before anyone starts to quote Aden here is a good link from an excellent book. Scroll down and read from Page 116 and note the RM snipers particularly Mick Harris >,M1

9. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

Understood you had to be drug and alcohol free, to work on the underground with frequent tests carried out

Or as Chief tiff suggested was it an offer of a ticket on the weegie underground?
  10. Give the cowardly bastards a white feather, I say that because I am of out there in the next few weeks and as Chief Tiff commented You Do Not Let Your Mates Down. Sack the fcukers if an old twat like me can go then these young cnuts can make the efffort. As Chief Tiff says don't join unless you can do the time.
  11. This sounds like another piece of media meddling.The tests were apparantley random,so, if they took the drugs to get caught they'd need to be high all the time as they would't know when they were going to be tested,if at all.Drugs are part of popular culture now amongst the under 30's,could be they were just following their peers.
  12. simmer.

You from the Strone or the Gibby?
  13. It stays in your system for weeks, and some drugs/regular use will be identifiable months later.

Still don`t know why they`re not getting done for bringing the services into disrepute. Six months inside and then a dis-honourable discharge.
  14. The Tribe (Larkfield)
  15. Young Port . Ya Bass.

You can run to a a different Country???

we still rule!!!!

edited to say (not so young)!
  16. Born in Boundary Street. Most of my family are from the Port & still live there,my young brother lives there.I was there in June. Saucy Sues, best chippy in the Universe,we would drive from Gourock just for the fish suppers & black pudding. :thumright:
  17. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

it doesn't seem to have helped these two mind you ...

18. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

And you don't get Yank Lager Louts?
  19. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders

20. Re: Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders