Argentina, Falklands, BBC and a Falkland islander's nationality

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by flymo, Jun 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like the Argentinian government are in the pooh again and so are raising the issue of the Falklands once more.
    They even wheeled out a bloke who was born in the FI but has since settled in Argentina as part of the propaganda campaign:

BBC News - Argentine leader says UK 'arrogant' over Falklands

But what made me laugh out loud was this from the comments section (nice of the BBC to actually allow discussion on a news story for once ... )

Argentine President - We want the Malvina's
    UK - No
    AP - We'll take it anyway as you don't have the warships to defend it.
    UK - There's a nuke pointing at your house.
    AP - Oh, sorry, wrong number..................

:)

2. James Peck was handed his national identity card (And a shit load of Peso's) by President Fernandez, during a ceremony to mark the 29th anniversary of the end of the Falklands War.

3. There's a french guy down the street from me who moved to Britain. By Fernandez's logic, I hereby claim sovereignty over France.

4. I reckon it's time to pull out all our troops out from Afghanistan and send a load to the the Falklands.
    It would send a message to the Argies,come if you dare,it would send a message to the Yank tosser the President who calls them the Malvina's that he's a born loser this side of the pond and if he continues to call them the Malvinas then he can sort out Afghanistan on his tod.
    Why should we expend brave troops for this USA mess they got themselves into.
    Our Islands,our oil,our fishing rights and the Islands are big enough for more Argie graveyards if they come,we owe it to those lost defending the islands and our people.
    Obama really is a snake in the grass.

5. Argentina has been currying favour with other Latin American countries. Most notably is Brazil that has sided with Argentina over the Falklands.

I'm sure some serving bods will have been suitably briefed and may be able to comment further on this.

6. I am guessing that the other latin American countries dont really care and if push ever did come to shove, they wouldnt do anything more then a "PC" worded letter.

The war of words in the end will mean nothing and Argentina can't do anything politicaly to get us to budge on the issue.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. In particular, I am thinking of Brazil and its new found mineral wealth that they have got lying offshore. Oil, and lots of it. With the World becoming more and more hungry for this resource, they can start to pick and chose as to who they will export to. Or perhaps in our case, not export to.

8. They will export to anyone who has the wherewithall (dosh). Commercial considerations overrule sentiment IMHO

9. I do hope so