Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Argentina, Falklands, BBC and a Falkland islander's nationality

flymo

War Hero
Looks like the Argentinian government are in the pooh again and so are raising the issue of the Falklands once more.
They even wheeled out a bloke who was born in the FI but has since settled in Argentina as part of the propaganda campaign:

BBC News - Argentine leader says UK 'arrogant' over Falklands

But what made me laugh out loud was this from the comments section (nice of the BBC to actually allow discussion on a news story for once ... )

Argentine President - We want the Malvina's
UK - No
AP - We'll take it anyway as you don't have the warships to defend it.
UK - There's a nuke pointing at your house.
AP - Oh, sorry, wrong number..................

:)

EarlyChop

War Hero
James Peck was handed his national identity card (And a shit load of Peso's) by President Fernandez, during a ceremony to mark the 29th anniversary of the end of the Falklands War.

TheRowan

Lantern Swinger
There's a french guy down the street from me who moved to Britain. By Fernandez's logic, I hereby claim sovereignty over France.

seafarer1939

War Hero
I reckon it's time to pull out all our troops out from Afghanistan and send a load to the the Falklands.
It would send a message to the Argies,come if you dare,it would send a message to the Yank tosser the President who calls them the Malvina's that he's a born loser this side of the pond and if he continues to call them the Malvinas then he can sort out Afghanistan on his tod.
Why should we expend brave troops for this USA mess they got themselves into.
Our Islands,our oil,our fishing rights and the Islands are big enough for more Argie graveyards if they come,we owe it to those lost defending the islands and our people.
Obama really is a snake in the grass.

flymo

War Hero
Argentina has been currying favour with other Latin American countries. Most notably is Brazil that has sided with Argentina over the Falklands.

I'm sure some serving bods will have been suitably briefed and may be able to comment further on this.

Jlou

Midshipman
I am guessing that the other latin American countries dont really care and if push ever did come to shove, they wouldnt do anything more then a "PC" worded letter.

The war of words in the end will mean nothing and Argentina can't do anything politicaly to get us to budge on the issue.

Last edited:

flymo

War Hero
I am guessing that the other latin American countries dont really care and if push ever did come to shove, they wouldnt do anything more then a "PC" worded letter.

The war of words in the end will mean nothing and Argentina can't do anything politicaly to get us to budge on the issue.

In particular, I am thinking of Brazil and its new found mineral wealth that they have got lying offshore. Oil, and lots of it. With the World becoming more and more hungry for this resource, they can start to pick and chose as to who they will export to. Or perhaps in our case, not export to.

Flagdeck

War Hero
In particular, I am thinking of Brazil and its new found mineral wealth that they have got lying offshore. Oil, and lots of it. With the World becoming more and more hungry for this resource, they can start to pick and chose as to who they will export to. Or perhaps in our case, not export to.
They will export to anyone who has the wherewithall (dosh). Commercial considerations overrule sentiment IMHO

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Argentina agree new flight linking the Falklands and South America MoD News 0
F Argentina claims Falklands will be under their control in 20 years time Current Affairs 47
T Argentina, Oil and the Falklands Current Affairs 20
A Argentina demands talks reopened on Falklands sovereignty Current Affairs 29
MoD_RSS Virtual discussion on strategies to address climate change in Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Important information for British Nationals departing Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister Wendy Morton in Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baroness Hooper in Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy in Argentina announces finalists of Falkland Islands Regional Student Competition 2019/2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 5 millones de libras para proyectos de investigación sobre resistencia a los antimicrobianos entre el Reino Unido y Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £5 million given to AMR research partnerships between UK and Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government’s Chevening Scholarships for Argentina open MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Argentina take on co-chair of Equal Rights Coalition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK-LATAC trade in the spotlight: Exports Minister visits Brazil and Argentina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with President Macri of Argentina: 13 December 2017 MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Has Argentina REALLY lost the plot? Diamond Lil's 4
babygravy Argentina buys a fleet of Saabs Current Affairs 43
soleil Telegraph: "Former Navy Chief Accused Argentina Of 'Unacceptable Harassment'" Current Affairs 2
soleil Sunday Times: "British Forces Lag Behind Argentina" The Fleet 28
digger84 Spain to sell Mirage Jets to Argentina Current Affairs 0
soleil Express: "Argentina: Less Than Half Of The Country's Navy Vessels Are Operational" International 0
cooksmate Argentina will do anything for a couple of islands The Gash Barge 17
gregleeds India backing Argentina The Gash Barge 44
trelawney126 Argentina Warship Impounded in Ghana Diamond Lil's 5
soleil Sun: "England v Argentina ... We Bring On The Sub" Submariners 51
Handler Wailings of Argentina's president Current Affairs 69
soleil Telegraph: "Britain Can Do 'Nothing' To Prevent Argentina Retaking Falkland Islands" Current Affairs 16
O Argentina in Falkland sailing permit move Current Affairs 79
TwistedFireStarter France v Argentina Sports and Adventure Training 10
D UK/Argentina Current Affairs 20
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp FALKLANDS - Mine clearance now completed History 4
MoD_RSS Falklands finally landmine free thanks to UK-funded team MoD News 0
soleil The Times: "Captain Mike Booth, 70: Helicopter Pilot In The Falklands, Naval Attaché And Cabinetmaker" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Winners of the Falklands Regional Student Competition 2019/2020 announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Concurso para estudiantes universitarios para viajar a Falklands MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Falklands Fighter Ace Calls For Cost Controls Over UK’s £9.2bn F-35 Project" The Fleet Air Arm 45
SONAR-BENDER Falklands medal found RFA 14
MoD_RSS News story: Improvements to Mare Harbour jetty in Falklands complete MoD News 0
BRP Writing a novel about the Falklands War... History 30
J HMS Active reunion 35th Anniversary of Falklands homecoming Social & Reunions 4
Naval_Gazer 'Falklands 35' Charity Dinner Charity 8
Stirlin Falklands veterans mark 35th anniversary in Gosport The Quarterdeck 17
F RFA ships Falklands War research History 0
HistoryBoy AB David McCann, HMS Glamorgan died August 1982 (Post Falklands) History 8
janner The Falklands War. History 139
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary sees brighter future on Falklands visit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British Forces go to assistance of stricken cruise liner in the Falklands MoD News 1
Wightsparker Falklands rescue Current Affairs 1