Argentina buys a fleet of Saabs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by babygravy, Oct 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought they were skint?:rolleyes:

2. Wonga still in business?

3. The only reason the swedes have them is because the still have an aviation industry their government supports!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Gripen was unceremoniously battered by our non-radar equipped, slow, aged and unfit to dogfight GR7s and GR9s on exercise in 2008. I witnessed first hand the post sortie evidence.

Not a great endorsement of it's abilities as a 'threat'. I'd wager the Swedes are more capable pilots than the Argentinians also.

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  5. It would be more worrying if it had been ' a fleet of subs'........

6. Are you sure they are not the cars?

7. Quiet German ones.

8. I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about but I thought the euro fighter was all singing all dancing?

9. Best the Swedes get the money first, and 24 fighters are knack all use when you don't have a navy with amphibious capacity.

10. That begs the question, why do they need JSF as well? Is it just to stop the nasty sailors having a newer toy?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  11. It's a ground attack aircraft pretending to be a fighter also. Or is it a fighter pretending to be a ground attack aircraft? No-one really knows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  12. Or a noisy air show variant?

13. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

That is one of the most ill informed pieces of writing I have seen since Lewis Page.

I await with interest when the export trade paperwork for the UK radar in Grippen appears asking for permission to export to Argentina. Plus I suspect the Brazilians will be wanting to count every penny before they even entertain getting the keys out of the drawer.

25 Grippen with no air to air refueling. Makes for some interesting time/speed/distance calculations and really knowing your fuel burn rates.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Would taking this Swedish thing down be beyond it?

15. Guns wrote: " That is one of the most ill informed pieces of writing I have seen since Lewis Page. "

A point of view, but I'm not so sure; it certainly indicates yet more instability in Argentina for them to even consider spending money they haven't got on military hardware like this. The FCO and MOD should take note.
    Robert Fox, incidentally, has a reputation as a serious journalist ( OK, I know, I know, contradiction in terms etc....) and he has an understandable interest in the Falklands. As a BBC reporter he was was one of the media pack which accompanied the Task Force in 82. He was with 2 Para at Goose Green.

16. Presumably these Gripens will be sharing ramp space with the Kfirs they bought from Israel, the Mirage F.1s they bought from Spain, the F-16s they were buying cheap from the US, the JF-17s they co-produced with Pakistan...? There's one very consistent theme about these stories of "Argentina shopping for uber-super-duper jet fighters", and that's the way they always fade into embarrassed silence when payment is discussed, whereupon the sellers cordially invite Argentina to "go and do one, sunshine".

Fox further sours his own story by griping that Typhoon is 'older' than Gripen; they're contemporaries, and Typhoon is more capable (though more expensive) even before you start asking awkward questions about armament (what have Argentina got? what do they expect to be able to buy, from whom?), training (they're not exactly awash in trained aircrew and ground crew) and so on.

17. jrwlynch

said: "....what have Argentina got? what do they expect to be able to buy, from whom?), training (they're not exactly awash in trained aircrew and ground crew) and so on. "

Again, a point of view and deserving of respect. But my point was the instability of Argentina and the need for our own Government to be fully aware of potential problems. I would have thought that Britain's failure to respond to the threat in the years running up to 1982 ( despite warnings from both civilian and military individuals) must surely be recognised - or has the passage of time dimmed the collective memory?
    I can remember some people pooh-poohing South American military capabilities at the time - but Argentine aircraft subsequently caused a lot of heartache.

18. But Argentina still poses no method of seriously attacking never mind invading the islands. A few fast jets doesn't change that fact.