ARE YOU GLAD YA LEFT OR NOT???

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by ChampionPuffa, Oct 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. WHAT YA DONE SINCE YA LEFT?
    WAS IT WORTH GIVIN IT UP?
    DO YA WISH YOU WERE STILL, THERE?

2. Yep, glad I left the mob though I missed it for years afterwards.
    Wore another uniform for 25 years.
    Now retired doing sod all & loving it.

3. Did twelve and wish I'd stayed. Had some interesting positions in CS but the RN has (had?) a priceless quality exclusive to all other ways of life. I would even like to start again although it was the post WW2 time I experienced. Nutty was still on coupons and the RN was a" feel good"
    time for me. Well and truly retired now but that twelve years was some of the best years of my life,

:D

4. Glad I left because I came into a big money business, but having left school with few quals. and no idea of what to do the RN provided me with the skills to succeed in civvy street. Like many others in my line of work though, we all agree that we would have left earlier if we hadn't been so scared to do so. It is easy to find yourself stuck in the mob and scared to make the step out and use crap excuses to yourself like " I need the pension".

5. Did my 22 and enjoyed it until I took some further education. This made me more qualified than many of the officers. Finished my time and joined British aerospace as a Field engineer. Back to ships but this time with officer status (makes a big difference) living in the wardroom but drinking in the chiefs mess (two mess bills at the end of each sea trial but worth it).
    Eight years later worked as a field engineer for the tobacco industry, travelling world wide, living in good hotels (where available though have spent time in crap ones) and being well rewarded for working out of the UK
    Would I go back, no way, enjoyed it made some good mates but the RN neither supports or respects its senior and junior rates. Time for the officers to realise that they are no longer landed gentry and be made to work under similar conditions to the rest of the navy.

6. Yes, always the possibility and problem of becoming institutionalised, a definite risk. I suppose an affinity with the service develops in some yet they understand when it's time to pipe down for the last time. The RN does seem to instil a certain quality in some to their benefit. It also seems to teach an ability to live with others and tolerence of each other in difficult situations. Even though I've been out over 40 years what I learned and experienced is still there. As they say, you only remember the good times

:D

7. I was never i left but circumstances and events made it impoossible to carry on ||.got a good job (no uniforms bloody hard work though)give me the chance to finish at 55 but carried on until i got made redundant at 58 with a big lump sum and a big pension so im in clover ||| :)

8. WHAT YA DONE SINCE YA LEFT? Lots
    WAS IT WORTH GIVIN IT UP? Wasn't really in long enough for it to make an impression
    DO YA WISH YOU WERE STILL THERE? Hell NO!

9. I'm still RNRing away, not left yet :D

10. I did 11 years before realising it had become just another job. I had the prospect of being sent back up that bloody crane at Coulport after my forthcoming sea draft, so I said "ram it!" and stuck 18 months notice in.

It took awhile to realise I wasn't a matelot anymore, but I think I got out at the right time.

11. Not left and glad about it. 20 years in and still living the dream ... mostly. :wink:

SF

12. Nothing to do with this thread, but I noticed there is someone hidden online a lot, wondered if it was the amazing hobo jewish scotsman or the pretend heartbreak ridge gunny sgt......

13. There you go again Lingyai - fishing for trouble. Best dig out your kevlar again me ould flower. :roll:

SF

14. Loved my 22. Wouldn't like to be in todays Navy though. Not my cup of tea, PC, women at sea, H&S, no Far Flung, people crying because they get more than 6 months away from home. Sheesh!
    Standing by for incoming :)
    RoofRat

15. Went from JME to CMech in 9+2 and had CW raised for most of my career but couldn't bear the thought of life in the wardrobe, so left at 27. Took a massive cut in income when I started outside but ended up a Director and spent 24 years in the Far Flung. Retired at 52 and now spend my time volunteering for ex service charities.
    IMHO, if you can make it in the Andrew, you can make it anywhere. No regrets, I would do it all , all over again but not in today's navy!
    h

16. Ling , it's now sunday morning & the hidden one is still there , does make you wonder , why remain hidden when you can come on here and give yourself a handle of your own choosing , & who's to know who the fxxk you are , [do you like my new Avatar , was getting a bit bored with the old one , hope no fxxxxr pinches it though , as I may go back to it ], not to bothered as I have downloaded a few last night as it was a very quiet nght at work , unusual for a weekend in Guzz , one more night to go , :? :?

17. I dare say when some of you lot joined up there was a country worth fighting for. Now it's all chavs, scroungers, rag-heads & mobile phone salesmen I don't know if it's worth the effort or real risk of putting your life on the line. All the good drafts have gone too. ;-(

18. Let's be honest, most if not all of us were in it for the money, it was a job that paid the bills and bought the house. Though we would fight for our country in the event of an invasion, I doubt that Queen and country is the motivation for anyone joining up