Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Are we turning into Americans?

Canaldrifter said:
Old folk song:

Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy
Ten thousand times adieu
I'm a-going across the ocean love
To seek for something new
Come change your ring with me dear girl
Come change your ring with me
For it might be a token of true love
While I am on the sea.

Is this to the tune of The Holy Ground Drifts?

Pol

polariod said:
Canaldrifter said:
Old folk song:

Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy
Ten thousand times adieu
I'm a-going across the ocean love
To seek for something new
Come change your ring with me dear girl
Come change your ring with me
For it might be a token of true love
While I am on the sea.

Is this to the tune of The Holy Ground Drifts?

Pol

Sweet Nancy has its own tune as far as i know.

Ref:

http://www.thecopperfamily.com/songs/coppersongs/adieu.html

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/midi/SWTNANCY.midi

This is the least of our worries. Some already address an assembly as 'people', wear ships' baseball caps, injecting 'like' into sentences every so many words. 'Whatever', 'rookies' 'firefight' (it's a fcuking contact). It isn't just the media doing it.

As for the rings, I don't know how long the Yanks have had their Service signet rings but I like the idea - once Navy always Navy (Army, Air Force, Marines) Personalising them for ships/ops isn't necessary. The SS had them too, called 'honour rings' IIRC. Oh dear.

If you go to the main site and look at the Royal Marines link, just hope that they get the spelling of "Gibraltar " right at the final stage.........

G

"Royal Navy Ring" - what a load of typical Yank trash. It's just like most Yanks, crass, cheap and crap.

Years ago, if you had "Royal Navy Ring" then you saw the M.O. because you either needed a laxative or you had been guilty of deviant sexual practices and needed stitches in your sphincter.

Anyone who buys & wears one of these will look a totat twat.

Seadog said:
This is the least of our worries. Some already address an assembly as 'people', wear ships' baseball caps, injecting 'like' into sentences every so many words. 'Whatever', 'rookies' 'firefight' (it's a fcuking contact). It isn't just the media doing it.

As for the rings, I don't know how long the Yanks have had their Service signet rings but I like the idea - once Navy always Navy (Army, Air Force, Marines) Personalising them for ships/ops isn't necessary. The SS had them too, called 'honour rings' IIRC. Oh dear.
I detest people saying "about 20 klicks", feed of arse. Also was on a ship where the bridge crew wore baseball caps, looked a right bunch of undisciplined tossers too.

The Yanks have been wearing these rings since at least the mid 1970s. They were normally made of silver. I think they were brought in to make themlook like the Yank fraterniy rings.

They look great dont they though? And so much easier to get rid of than an unwanted tattoo! I thought it was only the officers that had them in the USN though as graduation/class rings?

My parent bought me a ring for my 21st birthday. Wore it all the time til one day when getting out of a Buccaneer cockpit I slipped and the ring cought on the top of the ladder. Nearly wrecked my finger, took it off and threw it into my locker, never worn a ring since. Engineering and rings dont mix.

slim said:
My parent bought me a ring for my 21st birthday. Wore it all the time til one day when getting out of a Buccaneer cockpit I slipped and the ring cought on the top of the ladder. Nearly wrecked my finger, took it off and threw it into my locker, never worn a ring since. Engineering and rings dont mix.
I agree, my wedding ring goes in my locker as soon as I mobilise, but if I had one of those great navy rings I might reconsider being as they are soooo cool :grin:

slim said:

Did just that on a Wessex in the Vic's hangar deck. You take off a panel. You put the screws back in their anchor nuts so you don't lose them.

I slipped on the ladder and automatically grabbed the opening to steady myself. A screw went up inside my ring, and I was dangling helplessly from my ring finger, my feet well off the deck.

I had to be lifted off. I nearly lost my finger. The ring had to be cut off in sick bay. I've never worn a ring at work since.

Canaldrifter said:
slim said:

Did just that on a Wessex in the Vic's hangar deck. You take off a panel. You put the screws back in their anchor nuts so you don't lose them.

I slipped on the ladder and automatically grabbed the opening to steady myself. A screw went up inside my ring, and I was dangling helplessly from my ring finger, my feet well off the deck.

I had to be lifted off. I nearly lost my finger. The ring had to be cut off in sick bay. I've never worn a ring at work since.

Hi Yes I've heard you can strip the flesh of your finger if something gets caught in your ring. :oops:

I only started wearing a Wedding ring after I left the mob, and i've got it caught a few times 'kin painful

Latest Threads