Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we turning into Americans?

Seadog

War Hero
This is the least of our worries. Some already address an assembly as 'people', wear ships' baseball caps, injecting 'like' into sentences every so many words. 'Whatever', 'rookies' 'firefight' (it's a fcuking contact). It isn't just the media doing it.

As for the rings, I don't know how long the Yanks have had their Service signet rings but I like the idea - once Navy always Navy (Army, Air Force, Marines) Personalising them for ships/ops isn't necessary. The SS had them too, called 'honour rings' IIRC. Oh dear.

Graybags

Lantern Swinger
If you go to the main site and look at the Royal Marines link, just hope that they get the spelling of "Gibraltar " right at the final stage.........

G

Scran_Bag

War Hero
"Royal Navy Ring" - what a load of typical Yank trash. It's just like most Yanks, crass, cheap and crap.

Years ago, if you had "Royal Navy Ring" then you saw the M.O. because you either needed a laxative or you had been guilty of deviant sexual practices and needed stitches in your sphincter.

Anyone who buys & wears one of these will look a totat twat.

Seadog said:
This is the least of our worries. Some already address an assembly as 'people', wear ships' baseball caps, injecting 'like' into sentences every so many words. 'Whatever', 'rookies' 'firefight' (it's a fcuking contact). It isn't just the media doing it.

As for the rings, I don't know how long the Yanks have had their Service signet rings but I like the idea - once Navy always Navy (Army, Air Force, Marines) Personalising them for ships/ops isn't necessary. The SS had them too, called 'honour rings' IIRC. Oh dear.
I detest people saying "about 20 klicks", feed of arse. Also was on a ship where the bridge crew wore baseball caps, looked a right bunch of undisciplined tossers too.

slim

War Hero
The Yanks have been wearing these rings since at least the mid 1970s. They were normally made of silver. I think they were brought in to make themlook like the Yank fraterniy rings.

F169

War Hero
They look great dont they though? And so much easier to get rid of than an unwanted tattoo! I thought it was only the officers that had them in the USN though as graduation/class rings?

slim

War Hero
My parent bought me a ring for my 21st birthday. Wore it all the time til one day when getting out of a Buccaneer cockpit I slipped and the ring cought on the top of the ladder. Nearly wrecked my finger, took it off and threw it into my locker, never worn a ring since. Engineering and rings dont mix.

slim said:
My parent bought me a ring for my 21st birthday. Wore it all the time til one day when getting out of a Buccaneer cockpit I slipped and the ring cought on the top of the ladder. Nearly wrecked my finger, took it off and threw it into my locker, never worn a ring since. Engineering and rings dont mix.
I agree, my wedding ring goes in my locker as soon as I mobilise, but if I had one of those great navy rings I might reconsider being as they are soooo cool :grin:

slim said:

Did just that on a Wessex in the Vic's hangar deck. You take off a panel. You put the screws back in their anchor nuts so you don't lose them.

I slipped on the ladder and automatically grabbed the opening to steady myself. A screw went up inside my ring, and I was dangling helplessly from my ring finger, my feet well off the deck.

I had to be lifted off. I nearly lost my finger. The ring had to be cut off in sick bay. I've never worn a ring at work since.

Father_Famine

Lantern Swinger
Canaldrifter said:
slim said:

Did just that on a Wessex in the Vic's hangar deck. You take off a panel. You put the screws back in their anchor nuts so you don't lose them.

I slipped on the ladder and automatically grabbed the opening to steady myself. A screw went up inside my ring, and I was dangling helplessly from my ring finger, my feet well off the deck.

I had to be lifted off. I nearly lost my finger. The ring had to be cut off in sick bay. I've never worn a ring at work since.

Hi Yes I've heard you can strip the flesh of your finger if something gets caught in your ring. :oops:

I only started wearing a Wedding ring after I left the mob, and i've got it caught a few times 'kin painful

Novocastrian

Badgeman
Lingyai said:
Just came across this website......
Royal Navy Ring
It doesn't get cheesier than this, anyone dare to admit they own one?
You have got to check the pics out, real class.

We'll be having proms and frat houses next....
Goddamit! :mrgreen:

The old Ling who I used to know (ninja suit, eye patch, bandana) would have been proud to own, and wear, such a personalised and attractive item!

Novocastrian said:
Lingyai said:
Just came across this website......
Royal Navy Ring
It doesn't get cheesier than this, anyone dare to admit they own one?
You have got to check the pics out, real class.

We'll be having proms and frat houses next....
Goddamit! :mrgreen:

The old Ling who I used to know (ninja suit, eye patch, bandana) would have been proud to own, and wear, such a personalised and attractive item!
Unless it blew my disguise ! :lol:

And on the subject of Ameicans..............

If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theatre of operations during the last 22 months, and a total of
2,112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington D.C. is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period.

That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in the U.S. Capitol, which has the strictest gun control laws in the nation, than you are in Iraq .

Conclusion: The U.S. should pull out of Washington .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Speech: Climate Change: Turning emergency into opportunity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Packaging and print firm fined for turning river purple with hazardous waste MoD News 0
royal_dreams12 Turning up to AFCO uninvited UPO/Careers Office 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Turning technology into ploughshares MoD News 0
S Turning down a course UPO 15
scouse MR Hammond is for turning!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 4
wet_blobby HELP NEEDED turning NZB into an officer. Diamond Lil's 12
soleil Mail: 'Bride Spends 6 Years Turning Rusty VW Into £25K Porsche In Time For Wedding' The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Keeping 45 Commando's wheels turning in Helmand Current Affairs 0
Stirling Are we turning into Facebook ?. Diamond Lil's 31
wet_blobby Am I turning into a spastic? Health & Fitness 7
Rumrat Turning Japanese The Gash Barge 21
soleil Navy News: "HMS Lancaster's Turning Japanese" The Fleet 0
WreckerL George Formby will be turning in his grave Diamond Lil's 9
InvestorX Thread is going nowhere - turning into personal attacks The Corps 8
NotmeChief He must be turning in his grave. History 3
S MOD turning Bootneck into Action Man. Honestly. Current Affairs 7
NZ_Bootneck Turning towards being...... Diamond Lil's 11
Chicogiz Turning towards being a paratrooper The Corps 37
B Turning an Aircraft Carrier by Air Power. The Fleet Air Arm 43
S Americans in the RN/RM International 0
M Americans. Diamond Lil's 3
SkullFuct Americans: the NHS and Prof Hawking not being English Current Affairs 1
NotmeChief Some say Americans are Stupid - are they? The Quarterdeck 2
WhizzbangDai Americans sound off about the RN The Quarterdeck 18
L Americans attack Gully Gully Man Current Affairs 6
Gazza82 Americans Diamond Lil's 13
silverfox What do Americans make of this.... Current Affairs 21
N Americans Prefer Not to Know Current Affairs 169
B Americans off the Sunni Sh*t List? Current Affairs 8
chockhead819 EH101 for Americans (Built by Americans) Current Affairs 39
finknottle Is this another friendly fire incident by the Americans? The Corps 5
P New Panic In America! Americans Face New Threat! Current Affairs 1