Are we getting the support we deserve from senior officers?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by broadside, Sep 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tomm90 in a different thread raised an interesting point - is the RN/RNR being seen off by its current (and past) senior officers. I know of a few who have been exceptionally supportive in the past and I also know of quite a few who have done the square root of bugger all.

What's the general feeling? At these times when we need all the support we can get from our grown ups - are they letting us down?

2. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Generally within the units it's a problem to be sure. There are many officers simply looking after number 1. There are however some very, very good exceptions!

One worth noting is the new SO2 (AWFP) who so far is doing a sterling job in keeping in touch with the troops and in being supportive at the lower levels, despite having his hands full. BZ boss!

Also in my unit there are several officers i'd go into combat with without hesitation. (There are also some i wouldn't!).

3. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Well lets define senior officers then we know who the targets are...I don't think SO2 is senior officer, although it may look that way from a subbie's perspective. So who do you mean matey?

4. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

I always thought of a 2 and half, and above. As senior officers? :thumright:

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Senior Officers - 2* and above in my definition.

2 1/2s are mere mortals, or pure demonic scum if you believe Norm!

6. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

I think the big boy jump to Senior Officer is at Cdr level. Unless someone out there can pull a definition out of a hat or a BR and show otherwise. Ta

7. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Whoops missed 2* comment as I typed, wouldn't 2* and above be Very Senior Officers, although according to most red tops anyone PO and above is an officer

8. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

but very petty !!!! :w00t: :thumright: ps where is Slim :w00t:

9. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Many thanks for the kind coments - are you sure you are sober! :)
    But to answer the question of a Senior Officer:
    In the RN/RNR The starting level for Snr Officer is a SO1 (Cdr), however, a SO2 (Lt Cdr) is not a Junior Officer (that is reserved for Lts and below) - I like living in no man's land! (though I have met a number of Lt Cdrs - both regular and Reserve who consider them to be a Snr Officer!)
    However the RAF see it very different, and they regard SO2s (Sqn Ldr) as Senior officers!
    I'm not sure if there is a QRRNs or QRRAFs (if there is a QRRAF) definition, but having served in 4 Joint HQs, that is definetly the way it happens for real.
    SO2Seaman

10. SO2Seaman just confirmed what I've always believed to be true, not that I'm anybody particularly important!! lol

11. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Forgot to mention the Army - here it is different again, as they have the term "Field Officer" which is a SO2 (major), and thus, in some [all??] regiments, they are allowed to wear spurs with Mess Kit. The term comes from the entitlement to convien a Field Courts Marshal.
    I'm not sure if the Adjudant is a Field Officer, as they are normally SO3s (Captain), but they have the spurs entitlement!
    And when they reach the rank of full Colonel (Capt RN equiv), they join the General Staff (and have red tabs on their colars, and red band on thier caps). Technically,, they then leave thier beloved Regiments and have the term "Formely RTR" or whichever cap badge they were.
    It's just facinating what you learn in the bars of Joint HQs! (and as for the army regulation that states "no 2 army officers within the same HQ are allowed to wear the same uniform ........")
    Cheers & happy Sunday
    SO2Seaman

12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Pedant mode on:

a Leading Rating is a superior officer to an AB (and QRRNs.) Doesn't mean 'Hooky' eats and drinks in the Wardroom.

Rule of thumb; scrambled egg on hat = senior officer (or well aimed shitehawk ordinance).

Pedant mode off.

13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Pedant mode back on;

I've noticed this (annoying) emerging tendency (not just SO2Seaman's) to refer to ranks by the appointment an officer of a given rank would hold if they were in a Staff appointment. Stop it. It is as annoying as 'rookie' for 'sprog' and baseball caps.

Is that because of a no touching rule or the impracticality of fitting two pongos in one set of CS95?

Pendant mode to stand-by.

14. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

no, Major is the field rank, and its Col XX late PARA (for example).

As for the Senior Officer piece I queried this a short while ago - whilst in PJHQ - it would seem that all three services now see SO2 as the Senior Officer starting point.

15. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

The Army seem to have devoted themselves assiduously to the multiplication and diversity of styles of barrack dress. The variety of shades of green into which barathea wool trousers can be dyed, and the veritable kaleidoscope of shirt colours, is really quite amazing.

There *is* a strict code about which combination of colours represents which regiment, but life is far too short for me to have learned it...

No. 3s look better anyway, he says optimistically :)

16. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

I was always under the impression that the senior officers wore the caps with gold on the peaks, ie: Cdr and above?!

17. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Correct AntC, [flag office & scrambled egg on caps]. However the point of my previous debate which broadside re started on this new thread has been overlooked. This was to prove that it was and still is senior military (ARMY) officers [not senior service RN or RNR officers] who decide how a new campaign medal is instituted. See here:

How is a medal instituted?

British Medals Policy-----------the process starts if the COMMANDER IN CHIEF considers that a medal for service in that theatre, or under parcticularly rigorous circumstances, justifies a medal. His recommendation is passed to SENIOR MILITARY OFFICERS who, if they are in agreement, submit the case for a medal to the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS).--------. http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/instituted.html

18. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office

Sorry, I should have been more specific - and also 'broader' in perspective.

By senior officer I refer to policy makers as opposed to policy influence level so I guess I would start the bidding at Captain RN/RNR and above (accepting of course that in some posts Commanders and even Lt Commanders may be required to DRAFT policy recommendations).

As for the scope of the discussion - I would prefer it to be opened out beyond simply looking at whether someone should or should not receive a gong - we have a thread for that already and this (new) topic area should be significantly wider than that - for example accommodation, training, operational support, unit level support etc etc etc.

19. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Firstly how I am incorrect? and secondly where does it say that it is the Army that control the generation of Medals? Commander in Chief can be anyone from the three services Senior Officers could, and probably does, include all three services including the Service Secretaries who would probably staff the proposal and thirdly I don't see anywhere in broadsides starting post that asserts it is the Army who control this.

20. Re: Are we getting the support we deserve from senior office