Are trades recruiting?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by yorkiepuds, Mar 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Firstly, booked in to one of those careers presentations at the AFCO.

Can anybody tell me if the Royal Navy are currently recruiting any trades? I know forces like the RAF aren't taking applications at all.

If so, what trades are needed/being recruited? Ive heard rumours that people are having to wait 2 yrs + just to get a start date. Im not bothered about waiting at the end of the day if you will like doing it its all worth it. But its just nice to know these things.

Any info on timescales etc would be very helpful.

Has anybody else recently applied (past month etc), and where are you in the process?

Many thanks in advance,
  2. Use the search facility there's lots of thread with the info for your questions
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The RN is recruiting in all trades - like you say, it could be several years before you join but we are still processing unlike certain RAF trades. Last time I looked without yawning, they're recruiting Gunners at present.

There comes a point however when one has to question whether the RAF has got it right (again) because anyone passing the recruiting test today, wishing to join as an Aircraft Handler, for example could expect to sit the Recruiting Test a second time, undergo a total of 6 selection/update interviews, have 3 security checks & 3 PJFTs, not to mention 2 medicals if under 18...before they actually start Phase One training. That's assuming they haven't buggered off & joined the French Foreign Legion in the intervening 3 year wait.

Rumours abound that we maybe scaling-down our tempo of recruitment as Recruiting targets for the next year are being reduced, few people are leaving the service, & applications are at an "all time" high. My AFCO alone has well over 70 people, having passed all elements of selection, waiting for a start date - there's 53 AFCOs nationwide.

Then again, those that make the decisions regarding recruiting policy changes don't have to carry out the nugatory work themselves, so it's anyone's guess what will happen.
  4. Hi Ninja,

Was at a meeting this week. It appears that one half want to make some sort of policy decision for us to go by, the other half just want to leave it as it is. Seems like it's watch this space!!!

However, that said yes it's very much how ninja put it. We are recruiting in all jobs, but yes there are waiting times and some are still increasing. Basically if you want to get in inside 12 months then you are looking at Royal Marine (Officer and other rank), Engineering and warfare officers (general service or subs), Aircraft controller, Qualified Naval nurses (critical care) and Stewards (but even then its about 12 months for Steward now). Looking at the figures for next year they are probably only going to get longer.

It's has disheartening for us as recruiters as it is for you lot as potential candidates.

Watch this space for further news as it happens

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, sounds about right. The NCS is run as a democracy rather than a military dictatorship... when it suits :lol:
  6. Join the army.
  7. Well, testicles.
  8. Careful, you may get accused of being me. :lol:
  9. I think i already have

10. Dont worry about would seem they bully anybody new :lol:

look out for cock of the moment
  11. Why would anyone think i was you?, your a cock
  12. Long story.

Thanks for the observation though :D
  13. If talking to yourself is the first sign of madness then I wonder what responding to your own posts through numerous pseudonyms on an internet forum tells us.
  14. how do you work that out then?
  15. I used to troll forums too, there's a few signs that give you away. Either way, you don't actually bother me, nor do you bore me or entertain me as you're pretty shit at it as far as trolling goes. In fact, you could say you are merely a non entity at most, blissfully unaware that you are in fact cripplingly lonely and depressed by the fact you're still a virgin, rocking back and forth in your bed at night whilst hugging your knees and crying yourself to sleep asking yourself "Why?" you're unable to get your end away.

As you were.
  16. still lost just need someone to bully dont you, i actually wish you were correct but alas you are not.
    all you have acheived there is making yourselves look a little paranoid
  17. Paranoia is actually a thought process in which a person suffers from anxiety or fear, usually to the extent of becoming delusional or irrational. I fail to see how you've caused this!?

Perhaps you actually wished to express the opinion that we were in fact untrusting or dubious towards new members in the event that they are actually another person with a "new identity" so to speak. If this is the case then maybe using the term cynical or skeptical would have been a more accurate means of getting your desired point across.

18. i stand corrected....again!!!