are things so very different ?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jesse, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found R.R. by pure accident;; and had not given any thought to my time in the mob for yonks o.k.Reading the topics and forums ; those still serving and wannabes seem so bloody intense. Have things really changed so much since the 1950s?There are ratesand branches that i've never heard off. I just woke up one morning thought about forign travel and the best rig for bird pulling and ambled down to the recruiting office. A Sgt bootneck asked "What would you knock a nail in with?" I said a screwdriver he said near enough and that was that. A medical and on arrival at Victoria Barracks Southsea a junior writer did the singing on and thats it 16 years of age and no chance to reconsider and the first two years did not count; but you were still subject to the naval discipline act. What is a passing out ceremony And families day?At the end of part one training it was kit muster and move over for part two I had my first leave three months after joining.I'm not dripping or bragging just stating facts. I gave the matter some belated thought and decided to lie back and enjoy it. Had a great time. my advice to newbees;- Dont be first but dont be last, never draw attention to your self, the least senior rates who know your name the better,and always have a chitty to cover your arse. Stood me in good stead but then I was bad company. Seriously though are to days sailors so very different to my day?
  2. Probably.

Just like every walk of life things and people change.
  3. Well it sounds like the advice hasn't changed at any rate! I shall take it on board and try to be less intense ;)

What did you do when you were in?
  4. I don't think he was a Writer :lol:

Hello Jesse. Sandbag pulled up and ears pinned back...
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

An interesting topic.

It would be interesting, for example, to compare a sailor from 1950 with one serving in 1891 & pose the same question.
  6. Are there many of those on rum ration?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

It's very doubtful. Most will have had apoplexy & died of a myocardial infarction having read some of the inane posts on this forum.
  8. Luckily, I know what that means :thumright:
  9. Ninja_Stoker

:cry: ...and yet you persist?
  10. I'm thinking that "out with the old, in with the new" would be a tad insensitive. Right?
  11. Well I don't, will someone please enlighten me? :?
  12. A fit of excitement or rage and a heart attack.
  13. Its the Old that make the New and the New that someday if lucky enough make the Old.
  14. Well researched on Wiki numbnuts.

Apoplexy is an antiquated term for a stroke.
  15. It is but February and yet I nominate Ninja's riposte for the much vaunted 'Post of The Year.'
    Triple Huzzahs and a double bumper all round. :D
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh I'm sure Hig will be along shortly... :wink:
  17. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Why? Is he the 1891 vintage?
  18. Are things so very different? In short, yes. But in all walks of life, not just the Navy. Today's Police force is unrecognisable from that of just 20 years ago. As are the banks (No comments there please), the hospitals, the supermarkets, etc. Times change and things evolve. Today's Navy is smaller and today's teenagers are less attracted to life in the forces. Involving the family more by including families days and passing out parades shorten the divide between serving and family. The deployments and Navy life seem less distant. In 2009 people are very rarely out of contact with each other thanks to mobiles, internet etc, if you're brought up with this then naturally you'll miss it, good on the RN for attempting to provide and get families involved, perhaps somewhat belatedly. There's a chance that the modern day Jack or Jenny is more intense as a result of Naval life being more intense. More deployments, drafts coming around quicker and some extremely stressful environments. Again as a result of a smaller armed force. We are different, very much so, but no less worthy of the name Sailor than any of our predecessors purely because of the times we live in. Our gongs are proof enough.
  19. Things are very, very different, when I was in we had a Fleet of ships that did a decent Commission, plenty of Aircraft Carriers, and a Royal Navy that was recognised throughout the world.

On an earlier post somewhere, someone commented that 68% of those able to put their notice in had done so. Something in the Locker stinks.
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It wasn't me!! :oops: :wink: