Are there any techno geeks out there????

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by toycommandos, Jun 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning chaps!
    I have a question to pose to the community.
    Does anyone know if when you buy a new ipod there is a way to transfer the song from your old ipod onto it? The simple way would have been to have all the songs I bought in my library but I have had a new laptop and half the songs are no longer on there.

Your help is greatly apprecicated.

TC

2. Can you not transfer from an i-Pod to your new laptop, then out again? I have one but never had to do this, it's jsut a thought.
    RoofRat

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'd talk to arther reference anything to do with an ipod...I believe he is now back on board HMS Cornwall.

4. LOL, Yea I'm sure he could, that's if he has another one he maybe couldn't stand the loss of a second one so didn't bother. but if all else fails try contacting I tunes will they not be able to help?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

TC, can you not just connect the iPod through a USB lead, go to My Computer, click on Mobile device,open the file, right click, select all, Copy then go to My Music, right click, paste?

If not, you're fcuked, because that's the depth of my knowledge! :rambo:

6. I did this recently, you have to tell your computer that you have a new iPod and then sync.

If I can do it anyone can, I am your typical girlie computer bimbo!

7. Try the gaming/computer advice forum, more likely to come to the attention of our resident nerds. http://rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewforum/f=29.html

That said, make sure you load the latest version of iTunes to your laptop
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_itunes/
    Hopefully that should sync with your old player and allow you to copy it all to your new one (AFAIK you can store your itunes on up to 4 devices acoording to their use agreement)

As the fairplay format is riven with DRM I am not entirely sure you can drag and drop to and from your Ipod with a windows based PC just using the OS, i.e not using iTunes program (easy enough to try it as Ninj describes), but Macs have all the cobblers installed in the OS. You can emulate a Mac on a PC if you are really desperate, but it doesn't sound like youre up for that much hassle.

Alternatively buy a better open source player in the first place. Sansa e280, $140 (yup, about £70), 8Gb, colour screen plays video, FM tuner, replaceable Li-Ion battery. :dj:

And please dont use the term "techno geeks" :pc:
    Please address them correctly as Speccy twat, four eyes, spazzer, nolife virgin, or poindexter.........

8. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I know that you can use Senuti or IpodDisk to take the music off your ipod but it only works on OSX. It is very easy to do. Do a google search and you may find one for XP.

9. Again TM I see words but my brain hears blah blah blah.

IPods are designed for idiots, otherwise I would not be allowed one! You are all thinking at too high a level, think IPods for dummies.

10. the_matelot

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

:thumright: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Personally I'd recommend getting a different player, something that doesn't tie you into a proprietary format and monopolistic distribution system.

That way there wouldn't be the problem about having lost licensing for the media. At the moment the media might not even play once it's been transferred.

13. Hey you lot
    What's an IPOD
    lol
    MH
    xxx

14. the_matelot

There are different players and I've had a fair few different ones (I'm an early adapter when it comes to gadgets) and I'm honest when I say this-the Ipods I've got now (I've got 3) have not gone U/S on me once unlike my Creative Zens (2 different ones), Rio MP3 players and a couple of other ones.

I'm not tied into a particular format and I've never bought a tune from Itunes so I won't get locked into it.

I suppose you're also of the opinion that OSX is inferior to Windows?

15. I used to have a creative, which was ok but battery life wan't good and it was bulky, Sony was pretty good and I use an iRiver at the moment.

Tried an iPod a few times and just couldn't get on with the usability tbh, so didn't bother with it after that.

The Sony at the time tied into soundscape which I really didn't like, not sure what they do now.

I'm perhaps not up to date but I was under the impression that the system started to impose DRM, regardless. Now appreciating your branch that's fairly easy to crack but I kind of object to the principle. I don't keep up to date with the consumer end of things so it may have changed.

Depends what you're using them for, personally I don't like either and I'd prefer to put Linux on the consumer desktop but there is a lot of resistance to that option because it's neither of the preceding. For media applications OSX is excellent, for business use Windows has a broader range of tools available. I know that you can emulate on an OSX box, but that just becomes resource intensive so you have neither the usability of Apple or a decent experience with some of the more esoteric Windows tools available.

That said, I prefer developing solutions using an SOA approach, to minimise the desktop footprint, where the infrastructure is in place to support it, but that's a little OTT in a domestic environment.

At home I use a Win2003 server and XP or Vista clients.

In short, horses for courses.

16. the_matelot

I'll agree with you on the Linux front. I'm using VMware (Parallels) on my macbook and I'm running XP Pro on it-I've had NO hassle whatsoever-it's running everything I've chucked at it but I suppose having 2gb of RAM does that. I'm going to install Linux on it as well but I'm not sure which one yet- Ubuntu is the winner at the moment but that may change!

I'm with you on the DRM issue as well-hence I've never bought off Itunes and have no intention of. There are other pay sites and some,err, non pay sites as well ;) .

Unfortunately, my branch do not run courses yet on how to strip out DRM from tracks but google is a very good friend and it's surprising what you can find when you know how to use it effectively!!!

It also helps being in an uber geek draft! :D

BTW, is it just me who gets seriously annoyed with Sony and their insistence on ramming their proprietary formats down the throat of the general consumer?

Betamax
    Minidisc
    Memory Stick
    Atrac Music Compression,
    Blu-ray

etc etc

17. I was thinking more about industry rollouts, rather than personal, since that's what I do. The kind of spend on the average desktop doesn't stretch to the cost of a capable Mac.

I tried Ubuntu last year for both a LAMP server and a client, pretty good dostro. Very clean and easy install and very friendly interface in use, without sacrificing the control you get from linux. I was brought up on VMS and SUNs before I joined the service, hence being more comfortable with that kind of thing.

Ah yes, search. A little known art......

No comment. I handed in my geek union card a while back.

Nope, certainly not. I loathe all anti-competitive efforts.

Incidentally there is an interesting Op-Ed piece in this weeks Economist about Apple.

18. the_matelot

That's a pretty good article but it fails to mention another reason for their success and that's Microsoft. Just thinking about Vista and Bill Gates gets my blood pressure rising-I detest both him and his company. They boil my piss everytime I think about them.

19. PMSL shippers! Good one! :thumright:

20. Thats hoofin, cheers everyone!