Are the group photos when passing out of Raleigh, mandatory?

AB111

Badgeman
AB111, just out of interest, where are you in the recruiting process?
Thinking of joining, joined?
It appears from your posts your in the process of joining but I learned many years ago not to assume.
I have enjoyed this thread, even if you do consider me braindead. Not every one can see things from your perspective and you have made me grateful I am I have no, dare I say, phobia's about photos and data of myself. Just glad I was serving when I did - less information available via this thing called the internet. Love to or hate it its here and so is your electronic footprint.
Thinking of. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for your participation. I wouldn't necessarily call it a phobia. It's just silly to put oneself at risk, when one knows the potential consequences.

Waspie

War Hero
Thinking of. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for your participation. I wouldn't necessarily call it a phobia. It's just silly to put oneself at risk, when one knows the potential consequences.
I would hazard that joining the RN would be a high risk given the role and way the RN train, operate and conduct their day to day business. Even 25 years ago, photography was prolific, I can only imagine what it must be like these days, technology being what it is today. 25 years ago we were engaged in the Cold War. These days the RN is certainly more active in the world with the UK actively engaged in conflicts and as such in the media more than ever. And Im thinking of the security aspect.
Just for your info, I had 25 years working in the RN. Another 20 years working alongside the Army at a training centre so have a fair idea of the security aspect and what can and can't be done with a photo, some basic tools and a PC!!!! So I do believe this braindead oldie may have a bit of an inkling into what your thinking about facing.
Good luck in whatever you decide but I am still of the belief it will be uphill minimising your service profile.

AB111

Badgeman
I would hazard that joining the RN would be a high risk given the role and way the RN train, operate and conduct their day to day business. Even 25 years ago, photography was prolific, I can only imagine what it must be like these days, technology being what it is today. 25 years ago we were engaged in the Cold War. These days the RN is certainly more active in the world with the UK actively engaged in conflicts and as such in the media more than ever. And Im thinking of the security aspect.
Just for your info, I had 25 years working in the RN. Another 20 years working alongside the Army at a training centre so have a fair idea of the security aspect and what can and can't be done with a photo, some basic tools and a PC!!!! So I do believe this braindead oldie may have a bit of an inkling into what your thinking about facing.
Good luck in whatever you decide but I am still of the belief it will be uphill minimising your service profile.
Thanks for sharing. I find it both shocking and sad that a higher standard seemingly isn't kept to, in a service environment. Do you also mean to say it's that bad when on operations? It shouldn't be too much to ask, not to have my picture taken, in the military...I won't even be friends with anyone on social media, so why would they want an image of me anyway. You really think the RN is more active? With less ships and all? Hm. At any rate, it's nice to feel more prepared, to face this nonsense.

Waspie

War Hero
Your biggest problem in todays environment will be your fellow shipmates on nights out. Then the media. In my opinion!!! Operations - well PR phots, social pics and intelligence gathering by sources outside anyones control!!!!
Preparation is the name of the game!

Is this post a bite?

I've never know a matelot to shy away from a camera....unless AB111 was on the balcony all those years ago? ;)

(and if you don't like it, don't read it :p)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Having a Casing BBQ is a personal goal that I need to achieve in my life.
When you get to your boat and on patrol (doesn't matter if you have qualified or not) just ask the Skipper to surface for a barbi. Weekends are generally best, as that's when we have weekend routine. Shouldn't be any problem. Just tell him Sumo off the interweb said it would be OK.